LIMOGES New layout - NOW BUILDING

SNCF stephen

Evening all

After Eymoutiers appeared in Continental Modeller in December we moved house and I am hoping in July to be able to sort the loft out for a proper railway room. This means I can expand the modular system I originally constructed (my original plan was to shelf Eymoutiers and start completely from scratch). Having more space means that I am thinking of having a go at making a depiction of Limoges station. I am thinking of simplifying the track layout but trying to capture the essence of the mainline station from the time period of 1990 to modern day.

I will be using Kato Unitrack again as it means I can get something set up fairly easily and the point motors are superb. It will be DCC again throughout and I am going to depict a mainline electrified railway running around the inner loop. The outer loop will be a double track secondary mainline leading to Eymoutiers which will be double tracked. While this is not prototypical I wanted to incorporate it and I also wanted a double track station. After passing through the station the secondary line splits into two single track branch lines (but will be unidirectional and essentially itnis the double track line being run separately to give more of an effect of the rural branch lines that are fairly common in the area. Part of the reason behind having four tracks is that I like having trains running and this will give a lot of interest.

A thought sketch is below:

post-6976-0-49613900-1491752405.jpg

The depiction of Limoges is going to be 6 platforms and the carriage sidings. I also want the depot to be incorporated and potentially the permentant way depot. The station is going to be a challenge to build but t will be a few years down the line so I can work out how to do it later. A roughy sketch of the track layout is below. Lots still to do in terms of the planning but it will give you a feel for how it may look.

post-6976-0-22473400-1491752417.jpg

Any feedback on this concept would be gratefully received . It's going to be a huge Halle he but one I can spend a bit of time focussing on.

Thanks for reading

Stephen

Edited by SNCF stephen
  • Like 4

Evening all

Having more space means that I am thinking of having a go at making a depiction of Limoges station. 

I will be using Kato Unitrack again as it means I can get something set up fairly easily and the point motors are superb.

The depiction of Limoges is going to be 6 platforms and the carriage sidings. 

Any feedback on this concept would be gratefully received . It's going to be a huge Halle he but one I can spend a bit of time focussing on.

Thanks for reading

Stephen

I would think about using the double track sections for the station, so there is continuous ballast. You might even be able to use the Kato platforms as you will be depicting a major station.

In a few months time we should be able to recreate one of my favourite photos I took back in the day - a BB900 on Romilly stock in Limoges station...

• Like 2

Working 1:160 scale trolleybuses?

Yes, I still have my Eheim 1960s working trolleybus set. Need to replace the original wires with 'guitar string' wire but its not a priority.

The old fashioned bus that Eheim did would be a reasonable match for the old Limoges trolleybuses

• 1 year later...

I have gone all quiet on this thread as I have been focusing on my rolling stock projects for the last few months. I am hoping to get to work on this layout in the coming months.

Luckily I have acquired some research material from a junk shop in France which will enable me to make accurate representations of the station buildings and associated infrastructure in the area.

post-6976-0-36558200-1531855490_thumb.jpeg

I have also managed to get a loop of track running on the layout which is DC in one direction and DCC in the other. It is used for testing rolling stock and keeping my interest. The layout will feature four tracks. post-6976-0-03838100-1531855528_thumb.jpeg

post-6976-0-65433600-1531855541_thumb.jpeg

I have also been going into overdrive buying rolling stock for the new layout (don’t tell my wife please) with some new autorails and electric locos. I am creating rolling stock using 3D printing as well which is extremely exciting.

post-6976-0-19804500-1531855512_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SNCF stephen
  • Like 11

Hello everyone. 

Its been a while while but I have been busy. My layout has been developed along the lines laid out in 2017 when I started this thread. I have now laid most of the track and added in the power supplies and hidden most of the wires on the urban side. I have also made Eymoutiers station a double track station on a secondary main line. 

I have made a youtube video of the layout. I would be hugely grateful for likes and subscriptions. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Having just been to Eyemoutier and Li oges., that looks good.  I patricularly like the model of Eyemoutier and look forward to seeing Benedictines when it appears. I don't know whether you've seen my thread with photos of the area on it. I might get chance to get to the station at Limoges next month, if there are any particular areas you would like photos of please let me know.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

I have been continuing to make progress on Limoges but I have a busy workbench as well which means I have to alternate my work time between the items of rolling stock I have in progress. I will post a layout update once I have some tangible updates (probably in a few weeks time). In the meantime I posted this video to youtube a few weeks ago which shows what I have on my workbench and the proposals for the layout. 

Edited by SNCF stephen
Trying to get the video to embed properly.
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Good evening everyone. I have been working on the layout and have an update video for you all. Progress is steady with a lot of other commitments going on but I am working hard on one corner of the layout as well as consolidating the track plan. The beauty of Kato track is that you can make changes very quickly. 

I have another video that goes before this one in the series so I will dig that out and post a link here. If you like my video then I would be very grateful for a like or subscribe. I post a lot of videos about French models, French prototypes and my own models that I make. 

enjoy. 

https://youtu.be/DwCf_Bd-y_o 

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone. 

i have been working on the layout for the last year and a half. I thought I should retrieve my password and do a post about it on here. 

i have made significant progress on the rural side of the layout. I have created a small village with a station on the main line and also created the river.
5BE11A9C-5107-4216-B871-3023F240A2B2.jpeg.d03ee36f40e48c7b6b0fd29c903b4aa0.jpegA30D61D4-4CB9-47F8-BAB1-97039EFA8079.jpeg.4f78722a3b4870451d844b2a080a8ecd.jpeg

Work is taking place at the moment on bringing a larger portion of the town of Eymoutiers to life with a small section of the Vienne river banks being the subject of that part of the layout. 15E483A9-766A-499D-A9EC-F105D8177B0E.jpeg.7eb68b8db4c6745dac61d336eb214a4c.jpeg

The river valley has also had a fair chunk of scenic work undertaken on it but also needs some work on the track to make it run more reliably. This photo shows the only formation of the second branch line which I decided to remove as it was not needed and causing me some headaches in operating correctly. 1AA725D5-D1AD-4B98-93E3-DC2F4E65F855.jpeg.1f464afb9ce16e747a069713fb4d43ed.jpeg

Other work has progressed on Limoges and I have been doing self made some laser cut kits for some of the more bespoke buildings on the layout. Notably the first one was the Capitol building which is on the southern side of Limoges. 
4D700827-71C7-42AA-A299-6AD7D2BCD253.jpeg.f97b4cff166338c6b5ad2791f02cd6a3.jpeg

i have also done the woodwork for the upper section of this part of the layout which will house the main station buildings of Limoges. 7C25441A-281F-462D-AD23-71996787CBBA.jpeg.4f797d4653ef5cfe8fac004628be32c0.jpeg

thanks for reading. As always - I welcome comments. All the best

Stephen

• Like 10