Dapol Class 73 pick-up modification.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Whilst looking for something else on the laptop this weekend I came across the pictures I took when I was modifying the pick ups on one of my Dapol 73s. These were previously posted on the Class 73 thread but I removed them after a time and I thought they were lost. I have had so many people contact me regarding the mods I thought I would create the subject's own thread once I found the pics.

As before I must credit Kevin (Hampshire Hog) for initially diagnosing the problem and making modifications, all I've done is slightly changed the way they are fitted, so here goes.

73pu1.jpg.7010b7d5760158bd30a05022aac15e5d.jpg

The Dapol pickups can be seen in this pic and notice the bottom right one has moved out of line with the brass bearing that makes contact with the wheel, this is one of the issues. The other is the pickups are in the space occupied by the gears and the grease/oil, again not good.

73pu2.jpg.c3c177a7c90fcc2bbc31d4f128d52963.jpg

First task cut two small 'vees' in each bogie side to accommodate the new pickups.

73pu3.jpg.d8d1f8f9ec73b388289cdcce4a619a0b.jpg

Using some brass wire make a 'U' shape but with right angled corners and then bend the base of the 'U' into a curve to follow the shape of the centre of the Dapol pickups.

73pu4.jpg.fccdcb8eb0fce3027114d816f71c291e.jpg

The shaped wire needs to fit snugly against the existing pickup and fit behind the plastic lug. Before fitting clean the Dapol pickups to remove all traces of grease etc.

73pu5.jpg.b35d7a5792db9792980793caf9b207c1.jpg

73pu10.jpg.a460b97402e519581709a7b6b63ee465.jpg

Using a bit of flux, very carefully solder the new pickup to the old. Do not heat for too long and melt any plastic!

73pu6.jpg.b9f63036092229c3144051374e623936.jpg

Bend the pickups to shape to fit behind the wheel backs.

73pu7.jpg.1b8c6b778cf34b109fdad6b92e0bf9a9.jpg

73pu8.jpg.b155abb5544317c628618e4b1723e66c.jpg

Cut to length and bend to form a contact with each wheel.

73pu9.jpg.5a790ae5074e5bb75a9f5e860b962f93.jpg

Refit bogie top and test the loco. The brass wires can then be painted black and once the bogie sides are refitted they are invisible but make a huge difference to the performance of the locos.

73pu12.jpg.e93aeaef19e5d795499dc2871169a2c3.jpg

The other mod I make is to place a piece of insulating tape in position shown to disable the cab lights.

I hope this is of use to you all and I can confirm that both my Class 73s have run faultlessly on Tidworth since the modifications were done, (and they were both repainted of course!).

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

How did you remove the bogie frames as I found these really difficult to take off.

Cheers Ian.

Hi Ian

It's been a while since I did it but just a screwdriver blade between frame and bogie at one end should ease it off. Be ready to catch the parts that fall off though!

Hi Ian

It's been a while since I did it but just a screwdriver blade between frame and bogie at one end should ease it off. Be ready to catch the parts that fall off though!

LOL yes I've already discovered how easily things fly off.

I was hoping just cleaning the pick ups would cure the stutter that has suddenly started......so I'm going to follow your instructions and add the extra pick ups.

Thanks again Ian.

• 1 year later...

This mod is still on my "to do" list.

I did carry out the mods (from the original topic, if I remember correctly) to the pcb to actually get the cab lights working and switchable from the decoder. That involved cutting the tracks and soldering connecting wires from the decoder pins (on the pcb) to the resistors in line with the cab light connections.

• 1 year later...

I've finally got around to carrying this mod to my three class 73's. I just did one bogie on one 73 at first to see how well it worked. Ran the loco without the mod, then did the mod to one bogie and ran it again. What a difference it made with just one bogie. So I did both bogies on the first one, then did the mod to the other two. Faultless running now, no stuttering or needing a push to get going and the slow running is spot on. Thanks very much Temeraire for the details. And best still, it doesn't take that long. Probably spent longer re-assembling the brake mechanism on one of the bogies, which fell off, than actually converting one loco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...

Good afternoon,

As I've come down with covid again I've been catching up with some long overdue jobs. One has been to fit decoders to my two BR blue examples, 73124 and 73135. Would I be correct in assuming they're both version 1 releases?

I'm pleased to have found this article, however the photos are not loading. Am I doing something wrong, here? Thank you.

Paul.