New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Trouble is the site keeps crashing, and with a part complete order via pay pal pending,due to a "time out" and I deliberately ordered in a quiet early morning time, with the only recourse to wait till they are open and phone Rails to see what is going on.

Stephen

Edit......Further efforts to place the order failed again, due I suppose to site volume, but worryingly with a 9/10 th completed purchase, at least not recoded yet on Pay Pal, so looks like another wait to confirm the order., and all of this with a deposit involved, which should mean a better service.

At least it indicates successful pre delivery sales for Rails

Stephen

Don't worry. Every time this happens perhaps another £50 less to pay later. Or perhaps you have inadvertently ordered a five coach dynamometer train. ;)

Lets start a quandary, will there be versions with the wheel in line for 00 or P4, or will 00 owners be able to move the wheel if it is in the scale position, ........we should be told!

Maybe they will adopt the Tri-ang approach, make the dyna wheel so wide it runs on both,....... just kidding.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From the infamous suppressed Tug of War Section of the 1948 Trials

Oh, you've really done it now. Given the global disaster that is the non-availability of Dodo's and Pecketts generally, suggesting something involving 2 Dodo's is just cruel.

Nice image btw :)

• RMweb Gold

Lets start a quandary, will there be versions with the wheel in line for 00 or P4, or will 00 owners be able to move the wheel if it is in the scale position, ........we should be told!

Maybe they will adopt the Tri-ang approach, make the dyna wheel so wide it runs on both,....... just kidding.........

Before you start arguing over this, how does the wheel behave on 2nd radius curves, and does it have to be steam-roller wide to stay on the rail?

Don't worry. Every time this happens perhaps another £50 less to pay later. Or perhaps you have inadvertently ordered a five coach dynamometer train. ;)

I had the same on the day it was announced. Paypal offered and declined . Ordered 1st time via Credit card. I emailed Rails and they confirmed only one payment made.

Before you start arguing over this, how does the wheel behave on 2nd radius curves, and does it have to be steam-roller wide to stay on the rail?

NER did us a favour, the wheel on the real D-Car was designed to be stowed in an upper position and lowered when was not being used for testing. This was done partly to reduce wear on the wheel as a bit of tread wear would reduce the overall diameter, thus throwing the measurements off. The Rails/Rapido model is designed with the wheel in the raised position which puts it about 3" (scale!) off the railhead. This also avoids the issue stated above - if teh wheel did in fact work it would have to be WAY overscale in order not too drop into the gauge on a #2 curve.

The wheel is on the same plane as the bogie wheels - meaning aligned for OO gauge. For EM or P4 you will have to move the wheel and its pedestal slightly outboard if this bothers you.

Bill

Edited by rapidobill

Hi. Thanks for everyone's comments. Sorry for the people who have had difficulty viewing the site and preordering the dynamometer cars. The traffic to the site has been a little overwhelming and after spending many hours with the web team we have now resolved this and it's fully up and running again.

Thanks for bearing with us

Oliver

Wasn't sure about this coach but anyways after looking at the pre-production model at York I've taken the plunge and pre-ordered one :) .as I stated to the sales team it'll go nice with me single ( even if it isn't fully prototypical

Unless I have not read all the posts correctly, no mention is made of lighting to go with the detailed interior and clerestory roof windows etc, will it have live metal framed bogies to do the pickup, or will it remain a buyer fitting situation, with wipers to add to the bogies if they are plastic.

Stephen

Unless I have not read all the posts correctly, no mention is made of lighting to go with the detailed interior and clerestory roof windows etc, will it have live metal framed bogies to do the pickup, or will it remain a buyer fitting situation, with wipers to add to the bogies if they are plastic.

Stephen

Hi,

The dynamometer cars will have full low-intensity interior lighting.

• Like 4

Stephen

They will have plastic bogie sideframes with factory fitted metal wheels and pick-ups. The connection between the body and lighting circuit (which is in the roof) is done with spring-loaded plungers, meaning that there are no wires to contend with should you want to remove the roof.

Bill 

• Like 3

The Wheel is raised, so arguments are over!, must be a challenge in there to get it working for P4, the overhang would stop it on 00 curves, unless you build a layout with very long straight test runs! Might be a small market for a lost wax replacement part for a rotating wheel. I expect the real one was limited in action on straight sections, as long as possible. I wonder about the buffer beam detailing as there must have been more pipes and connectors on it, as they read boiler pressure remotely along with steam chest pressure, temperatures, vacuum in smokebox etc.

Stephen

... I wonder about the buffer beam detailing as there must have been more pipes and connectors on it, as they read boiler pressure remotely along with steam chest pressure, temperatures, vacuum in smokebox etc.

Stephen

WHAT!!!???? ARE YOU SAYING THAT RAPIDO MISSED A DETAIL?????  :stinker:

Actually, there was a multi-pin connector that plugged into the end of the car, the plug being visible here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/melholley/7329394330 Oh, and yes... it's on the model! 

Bill

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit that I shall not buy a dynamometer car, as it does not fit in with my model railway.

However, if a model of the GNR directors' saloon (currently running on the Bluebell Railway) were to be produced, I'd snap it up at once.

• Administrators

I spent some of yesterday at York, insulting Bill and disrupting the stand. However, I did manage to bag a few more photos of the model.

Dyno_side.jpg

dyno_end.jpg

Dyno_interior.jpg

To get that electricity (surely this should be gas or oil?) to the roof for lighting, there are two pipes inside a cupboard behind the toilet.

Dyna bog.jpg

(Thanks to Andy Y for cleaning up some of these pics while I was distracted by chocolate egg.)

Edited by Phil Parker
  • Like 8

I spent some of yesterday at York, insulting Bill and disrupting the stand. However, I did manage to bag a few more photos of the model. ...

To get that electricity (surely this should be gas or oil?) to the roof for lighting, there are two pipes inside a cupboard behind the toilet. ...

(Thanks to Andy Y for cleaning up some of these pics while I was distracted by chocolate egg.)

Damnit. I have no use for a dynamometer car on a rambling, cross-country M&GN backwater, but your pictures make it look completely seductive.  What a great-looking model.

Thanks for the photos.

Paul

Thanks Phil for uploading photos.   They look very nice. 

Some say tempting, but I wasn't tempted at all.  I was going to buy one no matter what.

I have been looking out for one of the D&S kits for a few years so this has made the decision easy.  As I run LNER expresses this will go nicely with the Coronation kit I have yet to build.  I have The Silver Jubilee (Mailcoach), Gresley Teaks including Restaurant Triplet Set (mixture of Hornby, Comet and Kirk) and Gresley Suburbans (Hornby and Kirk).

I have ordered one and look forward to its arrival in due coarse.  It will give me time to build the Coronation set.

Thanks Rails and Rapido.

Mark

Great attention to detail on the model,very nice indeed. Not complaining, but what is the sagging wire along one side of the clerestory windows for, is it a pull wire in real life? or a handrail? Just curious, that's all. Will there be a prize for the first conversion to a working loo cover?..............and was it a straight dump to the track type?........ :angel:

More seriously which way round was the coach used, wheel first or trailing if you know what I mean. I see that there were grid covers over the end windows, I wonder to what purpose? I assume it always was used against the engine tender, towing other coaches in the test trains.

Stephen.

Damnit. I have no use for a dynamometer car on a rambling, cross-country M&GN backwater, but your pictures make it look completely seductive.  What a great-looking model.

Thanks for the photos.

Paul

In my parallel universe, after 1959 the M&GN DID remain open, and some upgrading (such as weak bridges) was done. Some interesting dieselisation took place...

The LMS twins and Bulleids were kept in service, seeing use on the heavier through trains. As were the class 44 - nominally in the Leicester area anyway, but instead of being downgraded to coal traffic, saw use on these passenger turns. The class 28s, originally on Midland lines, were not wholly banished to Cumbria, but were also used on lesser trains, and goods, on the M&GN. Staple Midland locos such as the 27s & 25s were also used. The route also became useful for testing locos, so the likes of GT3 and the Helan protoypes took their turns (ably helped by a dyno car)....

Stewart

(not forgetting the regular diet of Flying Pigs and 4Fs that far outnumbered sighting of the diseasels)

• Like 1