New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

In practice from my own experience, the max two can process, wrap and post in one day is about 100 parcels. Maybe twice more if tickets are printed and the packaging fits perfectly (needs no modifications). Fatigue will set in which then means extra attention. Putting pressure on at that moment is the surest way to add mistakes.

They were doubtless be different delivery methods to consider too (standard, recorded, abroad, EU or non EU etc etc).

If there are 4000 to send out, you are looking at a good month to traverse all orders.

So I recommend we are patient, as this is the quickest way to get the parcel.

Edit: and I suspect some staff will be one a well merited holiday too.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I ordered mine on 22nd April last year and paid deposit only at the time. Balance payment was taken on (I think) Friday or Saturday.

Edit: Just checked statement, payment was taken Saturday.

Edited by grandadbob

Mine has arrived today. Well packaged but somehow has a buffer disconnected (falls out when put back in place)

Otherwise very very smart model. Have taken comparison picture vs Hornby suburban coach (don't have any 61'6" to hand as they are at my dad's.)

post-31327-0-99375800-1533752552_thumb.jpg

post-31327-0-31729200-1533752580_thumb.jpg

post-31327-0-43989600-1533752620_thumb.jpg

post-31327-0-33689300-1533752642_thumb.jpg

post-31327-0-59594700-1533752684_thumb.jpg

post-31327-0-31391900-1533752706_thumb.jpg

Edited by K Hatton
  • Like 5

Mine is going back to rails for repairs/replacement (spoke to them today regarding damaged buffer - slightly concerned at the suggestion of glueing it back on...)

Hi,

The buffer is glued into a small square box on some spring steel that is used to provide the securing point for the buffer when you push it in and to prevent it falling out like yours has.

If you look at the end of the buffer shaft you will see a small square peg which goes in the small box. A very small amount of glue on this peg and it will have held the buffer in place.

Hope the above helps anyone who may have the same problem.

• Like 1

Had to photograph the Dynamometer Car with the latest arrival to the layout today, LNER A4 4493 Woodcock

They look brilliant together! Woodcock is near the top of my 'I really don't need it but doesn't it look fantastic' list of items to buy. 

Regarding the buffer height, I've just looked at mine and it is indeed just less than a mm higher than a Hornby Gresley and about half a mm higher than Dapol's Black Label A4 (that's with Bittern anyway. Not sure if a Bittern's legs are longer than a Mallard which might influence the ride height).

It's not too noticeable anyway as I hadn't realised until it was mentioned and I've had them coupled together above my desk for the last week.

Managed to get one of my Hornby 61'6" brake coaches back for a comparison picture. Yes the buffers sit slightly higher but won't really be noticeable while running.

Also massive thanks to Simon (rapidorepairsuk) for the advice, I was slightly concerned about taking glue to a £125 coach but have managed to refit the buffer (and it still springs - result!)

Also just a couple of show-off pics behind the Nigel gresley collection Firdaussi. Say what you like about glossy trains but I think it looks awesome.

Also question for everyone who has fitted the front window/ducket guards - do these just slot in place and stay put or do they need fixing? If so how have you done this?

post-31327-0-88827100-1534002492_thumb.jpg

post-31327-0-43424900-1534002947_thumb.jpg

post-31327-0-03768800-1534002974_thumb.jpg

Edited by K Hatton
  • Like 4

Stone guards .

Tiny dots of superglue around the window frame , then slide the etch through behind the handrails. I painted mine first Humbrol Leather as they were never brass colour. 

The same advice is on the instruction sheet re fitting the guards.

I'm looking forwards to mine arriving, in the meantime, a question. Looking at the photos of the Dyno' Car on the day of the record posted earlier in this thread, the roof is clearly not  white - nor is the flangeless driving-wheel. Both just appear to be grubby. Does anyone know if they were merely dirty - or were they actually painted another colour at that specific time....?

One end is a British Standard gangway as used by the LMS/GWR and the other is the same but fitted with an adaptor plate to connect with Pullman gangways as used by the LNER, SR & BR.

Is this correct then for version 1? I would have thought that when the LNER fitted gangways they would have used the pullman variety as that was the standard.

Is this correct then for version 1? I would have thought that when the LNER fitted gangways they would have used the pullman variety as that was the standard.

Sorry, I don't think it is correct although I do not have a definitive answer. So some terminology, the end of the Dnamometer Car that connects to the locomotive is referred to as the "Engine End". I assume t'other end is therefore the "Non-Engine End" and will refer to it as such.

The works drawings for both ends show the same basic solid metal shroud (for want of a better word) 1' 0 1/8" long mounted to the ends. For the Non-Engine End the gangway has an additional British Standard Gangway bellows fitted presumably to allow coupling to corridor coaches. Adaptor plates were available to allow coupling between Standard Gangways and Pullman type connectors.

For the Engine End there is no easy provision for fitting bellows which suggests that the gangway at the Engine End was never connected to anything. It could not connect to a LNER Corridor Tender as there would be a gap between the end of the tender bellows and the shroud. In the vast majority of cases there would be little or no need to couple these at the Engine End as most locomotives did not provide corridors. It would be possible to modify the Engine End frame to fit a bellows should the need arise but it would involve de-rivetting the end plate and re-rivetting a set of bellows. So the questions are:

1. Did they ever fit bellows to the Engine End to couple to Corridor Tenders?
  2. If not why was the shroud specified - just in case?

Version 1 is correct as modelled.

Just looking at the instructions for my V1 DC. The drawing showing the fitting of the optional parts implies that the grills and side protectors should be fitted to the end without the ducket. This is incorrect, they should be fitted to the ducket end (the non-ducket end already has its grills factory fixed).

Did you also treat the pre-fixed grills on the other end and if so how?

Brush painted lightly using two coats, on all of the Brass etches including  the small square one in the Corridor door ,they are "out of the way" in use and unlikely to get rubbed, and the paint so far is intact, and nicely blended in, they are not something I would to make a feature off in the supplied bright brass colour. They should have been painted or dipped in metal blackener before assembly. IMHO.

Pre grouping only the GNR & some ECJS coaches used Pullman gangways. The NBR, the NER (who built the dyno car) etc used BS gangways. Pullman gangways became standard on new build stock on formation of the LNER.

The engine end gangway may have been connected to a corridor tender at some point. You would only need an adaptor plate.

Once an adaptor plate was fitted, the gangway could connect with both BS and Pullman gangways with ease.

You would need an adaptor plate and bellows to connect:

post-3717-0-16460500-1534109287_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeTrice

Pre grouping only the GNR & some ECJS coaches used Pullman gangways. The NBR, the NER (who built the dyno car) etc used BS gangways. Pullman gangways became standard on new build stock on formation of the LNER.

The engine end gangway may have been connected to a corridor tender at some point. You would only need an adaptor plate.

Once an adaptor plate was fitted, the gangway could connect with both BS and Pullman gangways with ease.

he corridor connectors were only fitted in 1928, there were no connectors when built by the NER hence my thinking they should have been pulman as that was the LNER standard.

• RMweb Gold

This morning the postman brought my dynamometer car. What a wonderful model this is. Thank you Rapido, Rails and everyone else who purchased one thus making it possible.

Postie also brought my September 2018 Railway Modeller which contains a review of the dynamometer car.

• Like 3