New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

Mine arrived yesterday (V1) and I'm very impressed with the detail etc etc.

However, it seems to derail time and time again when going through a chicane with third-radius curves inside a tunnel. Although it doesn't chuck the coach off completely, it is enough to throw the coach off when it passes over a point in the straight-ahead direction half a minute and (several) third radius curves later.

This happens when running just behind a locomotive and also when it has eight Hornby LNER teaks behind it.

Anyone else having these problems?

Edited by IamDaniel

Mine arrived yesterday (V1) and I'm very impressed with the detail etc etc.

However, it seems to derail time and time again when going through a chicane with third-radius curves inside a tunnel. Although it doesn't chuck the coach off completely, it is enough to throw the coach off when it passes over a point in the straight-ahead direction half a minute and (several) third radius curves later.

This happens when running just behind a locomotive and also when it has eight Hornby LNER teaks behind it.

Anyone else having these problems?

Mine did it in a couple of places but it was the track not the dynamometer carraige. Any slight drop in track level and it will derail. Once i adjusted the track level it is running fine.

• Like 1

Mine did it in a couple of places but it was the track not the dynamometer carraige. Any slight drop in track level and it will derail. Once i adjusted the track level it is running fine.

You might also try loosening the screws slightly to allow a little more motion. The factory will sometimes cinch them down just a bit too tight....

Bill

I received my Dyno' Car today, and it's a lovely model. Top marks again to the wizards at Rapido. It must be all that Maple Syrup...!

I, like many buyers I suspect, hope to assemble an authentic-looking record-run train in due course. The model looks great - and I'm not enough of an LNER buff to offer any meaningful critique anyway. I'm sure the model is as it was shopped-out from it's last re-fit.

All I would say, is that it seems that the vehicle had been in use in that scheme for ten years or so, and as even the image supplied in the accompanying leaflet shows, the roof and flangeless wheel were certainly not white - on that famed day at least. I'm not a great lover of 'weathering', as it is used, more often than not as a blunt instrument and ruins many a good model. Having said that - in this case, it seems a modicum is required to get it closer to the surviving photos taken on the day.

That's not a criticicism in any way - just a buyers adjustment to suit his preferences.

Mine came today! On my birthday of all days!

Those Canadians sure know how to make amazing models!

Looking at the above post, I've sussed the white roof!

1. Rapido is Canadian - they get a lot of snow.

2. The baseboard above is white - must be covered in snow.

3. Carriage roof is white - must also be snow.

I rest my case.

Stewart

This morning the postman brought my dynamometer car. What a wonderful model this is. Thank you Rapido, Rails and everyone else who purchased one thus making it possible.

Postie also brought my September 2018 Railway Modeller which contains a review of the dynamometer car.

After returning to railway modelling after a forty-year hiatus, I also bought this issue of Railway Modeller - mainly to read the revue of the excellent Rapido Dyno' Car. I used to be an avid reader of this august tome back in the day - but it is now transformed. The colour is nice, but there are a lot of adverts - and a very heavy emphasis on RTR - quite unlike it used to be. The 'revue' of the Dyno' Car was perfunctory - and worse, there was relatively little otherwise on 4mm. Now - the magazine always used to cover N to O.....but I counted one article on TT, two on 009, -  three articles on N, three on O, and only TWO on 4mm/OO. 9:2..... (Nowt wrong with those other scales/gauges of course.). Given the predominance of OO/4mm this is totally ridiculous. 'At the heart of the hobby' reads the banner on the front cover. Err...noooo....

.....and only a paltry mention of pre-Nationalisation.

The great thing about the magazine as it used to be was it was a 'keeper' - there was a lot of very useful reference work ready-done, with lots of drawings too. I see little evidence of that now. Will I spend almost a fiver on it again..? Absolutely not. A year of that will buy me a decent loco - no contest.  :senile:

After returning to railway modelling after a forty-year hiatus, I also bought this issue of Railway Modeller - mainly to read the revue of the excellent Rapido Dyno' Car. I used to be an avid reader of this august tome back in the day - but it is now transformed. The colour is nice, but there are a lot of adverts - and a very heavy emphasis on RTR - quite unlike it used to be. The 'revue' of the Dyno' Car was perfunctory - and worse, there was relatively little otherwise on 4mm. Now - the magazine always used to cover N to O.....but I counted one article on TT, two on 009, -  three articles on N, three on O, and only TWO on 4mm/OO. 9:2..... (Nowt wrong with those other scales/gauges of course.). Given the predominance of OO/4mm this is totally ridiculous. 'At the heart of the hobby' reads the banner on the front cover. Err...noooo....

The great thing about the magazine as it used to be was it was a 'keeper' - there was a lot of very useful reference work ready-done, with lots of drawings too. I see little evidence of that now. Will I spend almost a fiver on it again..? Absolutely not. A year of that will buy me a decent loco - no contest.  :senile:

12 months at a fiver a month is £60. Unless you're thinking second hand, loco prices have moved on a bit in the last 40 years ! :O

Welcome back to the hobby though

• Like 1

I've never seen a moan about Railway Modeller having actual modelling before. If you are looking for RTR then maybe one of the others such as Hornby Magazine is more up your street.

No drawings? Maybe my mind was wandering when I saw the article on MSWR 2-4-0s.

RM has never had in depth reviews of RTR models. In the past you were lucky if they even mentioned them.

Besides isn't this the wrong place for a rant about magazines?

Jason

• Like 1

Good grief. It is a monthly magazine catering for all scales and abilities. The content varies month by month.

I called into the shop on Saturday and was able to pick up my V2. I've just unpacked it, beautiful model. 

However I now have a couple of questions, things that are hinted at in the instruction leaflet.

1. Livery - V1 is the LNER imitation teak livery at the time of the 1938 run.(there was an earlier NER Crimson Lake livery until 1924).  V2, is the 1946 teak livery with the new number applied. This lasted until 9/1948, after the loco exchanges, when it was overhauled. It emerged from works with a full repaint, 'British Railways' branding, and renumbered E902502. It saw its last use in 10/1951, then it was finally withdrawn in 12/1954 and was subsequently preserved by the Science Museum. The present teak livery was applied in 1963.

My question thus is, what was the 9/1948 repaint? Was it still teak, or other colours? What was the lettering style?

2 - When in use, what other connections, if any, were made between the loco & coach? The leaflet refers to monitoring smokebox temperature and gases. How was this done?

Stewart

Well mine has arrived and it is difficult to find anything to add beyond that Rapido has outdone themselves, the level of precision and attention to detail that must have gone into this model is staggering. I honestly wouldn’t expect this level of quality from a relative newcomer such as Rapido.