New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

I received my V2 dynamometer car today and whilst visually it is stunning and flawless, I am having running problems with it. When going round a curve, the front bogie is consistantly derailing due to the bogie not turning to enough of an angle. I have tried it with multiple locomotives and on both second and third radius curves on my test track with the same results. Has anyone got any advice?

• RMweb Gold

I received my V2 dynamometer car today and whilst visually it is stunning and flawless, I am having running problems with it. When going round a curve, the front bogie is consistantly derailing due to the bogie not turning to enough of an angle. I have tried it with multiple locomotives and on both second and third radius curves on my test track with the same results. Has anyone got any advice?

Try loosening the bogie screws by a 1/4 turn as they might be too tight to swivel correctly.

I called into the shop on Saturday and was able to pick up my V2. I've just unpacked it, beautiful model. 

However I now have a couple of questions, things that are hinted at in the instruction leaflet.

1. Livery - V1 is the LNER imitation teak livery at the time of the 1938 run.(there was an earlier NER Crimson Lake livery until 1924).  V2, is the 1946 teak livery with the new number applied. This lasted until 9/1948, after the loco exchanges, when it was overhauled. It emerged from works with a full repaint, 'British Railways' branding, and renumbered E902502. It saw its last use in 10/1951, then it was finally withdrawn in 12/1954 and was subsequently preserved by the Science Museum. The present teak livery was applied in 1963.

My question thus is, what was the 9/1948 repaint? Was it still teak, or other colours? What was the lettering style?

2 - When in use, what other connections, if any, were made between the loco & coach? The leaflet refers to monitoring smokebox temperature and gases. How was this done?

Stewart

Bump!

Any ideas on this livery question yet?

Stewart

A September 1948 repaint would have been in company livery, teak in the case of an LNER vehicle. No BR liveries had been decided at that date.  If that was kept until withdrawal, then it obviously wasn't re-lined. Lettering style could only be LNER style insignia but without company markings. I thought this had been covered already. 

My V1 arrived on Friday and on test it derailed at a junction about every third time round the circuit. It was running with four teaks in tow and nothing else was misbehaving. Having seen the comments about the bogie swivel being suspect I found that one bogie was not flexing fore and aft, despite loosening the screw. I removed the bogie to discover that the bearing post had been spread.This looked like the screw had been forced into an undersized hole. Being plastic it had spread just at the end of the post. A close inspection revealed hairline cracks across the end and about a millimeter. 

So what do I do, send it back, or apply some engineering thoughts to the problem? I chose the latter and carefully filed off the swollen end of the post, just at it's tip, in line with the diameter. I had to be very careful as the post has a key moulded to it which acts as a limiter to the bogie swivel.

All very complicated, but spoilt by some heavy handed gorilla forcing a screw into an important part without drilling a pilot hole!!!! This model is hailed as the best model ever, superb in every detail that warrants it's £125 price tag. Well as I'm not the only customer to experience a model that falls off the track, the QA/QC department lets it all down yet again!!

I am pleased to report however, my relatively simple fix cured the problem and it ran happily with 6 teaks hanging on the back.

So my advice to you all that intend to run the model instead of it looking pretty in showcase, check that the bogies swivel in all the planes that it should. If it doesn't, SEND IT BACK!! If they don't know how to fix it, they can always ask me, BUT that shouldn't be necessary, should it? I'm just a customer, forking out my hard earned cash for something really special and it turns out not to be, sadly. Such a tiny component has let it down, so I hope that Rails will let Rapido know that not all their customers are happy ones and why.

I rest my case.

Tod

• Like 1

Well I finally got mine. Arranged delivery for Saturday morning. Went outdoors to unlock the gate, a van suddenly arrived, perfect timing!

And here it was.

Now for me, whether or not the Stirling single is the best British RTR loco ever, is still subjective, but the Dynamometer car is definitely the best British outline RTR coach ever and it's a work of art.

When I brought Hornby's Pullman observation car, I said to myself at the time that this would be the most expensive and best coach I will ever buy. Roll on a few years, it was equaled in price with Kernow's gate stock, then matched or slightly exceeded in terms of both price and detail by Bachmann's inspection saloon. Since then, the birdcages have just exceeding it in price though not in quality. This coach exceeds it every where so I do feel that this will be the best and most expensive coach I will ever buy.

When I was a kid, I was taken in by the record braking exploits of Mallard and I had to have it and the train. My parents brought me Mallard and some LNER coaches but what was always missing was the famous Dynamometer car. Thanks to Rails and Rapido, my child hood train is now complete.

post-15098-0-19519100-1535811730_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-50136900-1535811929_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-15742400-1535812551_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-32941400-1535812251_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-06910900-1535812302_thumb.jpg

Ok the loco is as she was preserved, the coaches were articulated blue streak units and not teak ones here, and the Dynamomter car is the 1948 guise not the record braking guise. But apart from that my train is finished. Mallard still runs really well for a 30+ year old model (or maybe toy compared with what is produced now). And there something nostalgic in watching my childhood train running again with this state of the art coach.

Also I read with interest that this coach did runs behind the W1, so out with mine for a few runs on the straight (needs 3ft minimum radius):

post-15098-0-16064900-1535812346_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-22108700-1535812221_thumb.jpg

But in keeping with my tradition of running locos and rolling stock of the same make together, here it is with Rapido's single. I don,t think it ever happened even if both are preserved by the same organisation.

post-15098-0-15003800-1535812646_thumb.jpg

Just need to buy Leader and do some 1948 trials.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Saw the real one yesterday :) First time since I was aware of the model - possibly the fist time ever. Last time I went to the NRM was for 6 A4s and that's all I saw, no idea when I went before then but Bittern was masquerading as Silver Link (oh to have realised at the time what I was looking at!). That's my daughter posing by the dynamometer. She's rather indoctrinated!

post-31681-0-84507700-1535823962_thumb.jpg

post-31681-0-80763800-1535823908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 5