New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

Hi,

I don't know if pictures/post has been put on here before comparing the Golden Age Models Dyno Car with the Rails Dyno Car, so I thought I'd put some pictures up comparing parts, for this I am comparing my LNER 1938 Mallard Record-breaking Dynamometer Car from Golden Age Models with the, 1948 Exchange trials Dynamometer Car from Rails of Sheffield.

I'll let the pictures do the talking; "A Picture paints a thousand words and all that". 

post-32040-0-38366000-1536236742_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-71529300-1536236852_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-13697700-1536236945_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-13197000-1536237005_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-51492200-1536237049_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-68597200-1536237094_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-72815600-1536237159_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-08041100-1536237548_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-93559900-1536237612_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Psst. It's the wrong way round.   :blum:

The ducket was always facing the locomotive as that's the end with all the measuring equipment.

Jason

You are of course correct.

Stupid mistake on my part  :rolleyes:

Edited by amdaley

I received my V2 dynamometer car today and whilst visually it is stunning and flawless, I am having running problems with it. When going round a curve, the front bogie is consistantly derailing due to the bogie not turning to enough of an angle. I have tried it with multiple locomotives and on both second and third radius curves on my test track with the same results. Has anyone got any advice?

I agree the model itself is stunning, but I too have problems with constant derailments.

Yesterday I had a Hornby Bulleid pacific and five coaches running flawlessly for over an hour.

As that proved there was nothing wrong with train or track, I once again tried the dynamometer car,

it derailed in five places in one circuit, always the leading wheel set lifting off the rail. 

I have tried loosening the bogie pivot screw. to no avail.

It would appear that Rapido have used very fine scale wheels with very shallow flanges,

compared to Hornby or Bachmann standards, which is asking a bit much from track that is not absolutely perfect.

I agree the model itself is stunning, but I too have problems with constant derailments.

Yesterday I had a Hornby Bulleid pacific and five coaches running flawlessly for over an hour.

As that proved there was nothing wrong with train or track, I once again tried the dynamometer car,

it derailed in five places in one circuit, always the leading wheel set lifting off the rail. 

It would appear that Rapido have used very fine scale wheels with very shallow flanges,

compared to Hornby or Bachmann standards, which is asking a bit much from track that is not absolutely perfect.

Even if the wheels are RP25 it should run fine. No issues with mine running anywhere on my layout even with old fashioned 80s stock I used for my pics posted here. By contrast my DJM 71 also with RP25s pops off every few yards or so - although the other day, it did manage to do 15 laps before derailing! It is always the leading pair of wheels on the leading bogie. I put this down to the rather stiff bogies with little or none down play (maybe for the 15 lap special it was finally getting looser over time or maybe room temperature adjusted all the rail gaps to be perfect for this model on that occasion....).

Other(s) here have talked about screws done up so tightly that the model had a small crack and made adjusting difficult.   

I refer you to my post No. 803 above. Loosening the screw is not the only solution. Check to see if the bogies will tip fore and aft as well as laterally (just like the real bogies do).This compensation allows for them to ride the variations in the track. The "play" must not be excessive, otherwise the body will wobble, but do have a look at the ends of the pivot posts to ensure they have not been spread as in my example, possibly at the hands of the same gorilla!! The little tweak performed on mine has cured it and it now runs nicely as it should.

At the risk of being big headed, I can draw on a technical career covering a big chunk of my 72 years, so I have the confidence and knowhow to solve all sorts of problems. I'm more than happy to share AND learn new things along the way.

Happy modelling folks

Tod

• RMweb Gold

Try these! :)

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Lima-early-shiny-metal-wheelsets-for-wagons-coaches-spares-wheels/273408503993?hash=item3fa86ab0b9:g:YwUAAOSw8UtbS8hw

Hi,

I don't know if pictures/post has been put on here before comparing the Golden Age Models Dyno Car with the Rails Dyno Car, so I thought I'd put some pictures up comparing parts, for this I am comparing my LNER 1938 Mallard Record-breaking Dynamometer Car from Golden Age Models with the, 1948 Exchange trials Dynamometer Car from Rails of Sheffield.

I'll let the pictures do the talking; "A Picture paints a thousand words and all that". 

attachicon.gifIMG_4303.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4302.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4296.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4304.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4300.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4313.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4314.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4308.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4310.JPG

Both nice models - and whilst the coach does seem to have been lined, the GAM version is probably too heavy - certainly going by the 1938 record images on the day. I'm also rather baffled about the white roofs and dyno' wheel as depicted on both versions, as they certainly do not appear white in the contemporary period images. I have the Rapido version and I'm going to tone both of those items down to fit the 1938 photos.

M.

• Like 1

These "pizza cutter) wheels  are, in my opinion, are unnecessary even for code 100 track. They certainly won't like code 75 and they would spoil the overall look.

Your choice entirely I suppose.

Tod 

These "pizza cutter) wheels  are, in my opinion, are unnecessary even for code 100 track. They certainly won't like code 75 and they would spoil the overall look.

Your choice entirely I suppose.

Tod

much better to thoroughly investigate and rectify track irregularities.

much better to thoroughly investigate and rectify track irregularities.

Quite so, but if the bogies are not operating correctly, then they will find somewhere to derail, even if your track is "plate glass" level. 99.99% of layouts are made of wood and that stuff will move, due to temperature and humidity. The very finescale modellers (P4 et al) have very good accurate track, BUT they also have compensation 'cos scale flanges demand it. So, it's not just one thing to look at. A process of elimination should eventually solve the problem. My own problem was the bogie pivot that was too tight, even with the screw removed. .I carefully filed off its offending swollen end (?) and hey presto, job's a good 'un. The very fact that neither the loco nor the six coaches hanging on the back of the Dynamometer car derailed. I had a pretty good idea of where look first and as others on this forum had experienced a derailment issue with this vehicle, I used that info, which I'm very grateful for and sorted mine.

I'm old, tired and it's way past my bedtime. The nurses have locked the door and put the lights out.....................................................!

Nitey nite,

Tod

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More views to prove that I have taken it out of the box. The 1949 livery perhaps out on a test run with a newly outshopped A4.

31415422198_d0f423b52e_c.jpg

45240247962_9cc3602725_c.jpg

31415417728_1c043a0f0a_c.jpg

Ex LNER Dynamometer Car with Bachmann 60012

Well done Rails and Rapido. I hadn't appreciated how good these old liveries are.

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

"How bright are your lights?" I was asked. 

In daylight the interior lighting is hardly visible. However in the 'dark' the lighting works a treat and well illuminates the detailed interior.

31446640508_a658ee3913_c.jpg
Ex LNER Dynamometer Car from Rails of Sheffield by Rapido in the dark

I do find the Harry Potter Wand and the magic reed switch to be inconsistent and had thought that my Gaugemaster DS controller might be causing the confusion.

Ray

It was a tough choice between this and the Accurascale HUOs, both complex and top of the range models in their own right.

I feel the survey was unfair to to have wagons and coaches merged in one category. Comparing day to day wagons with a coaches of glamour is like comparing different types of apples with different types of oranges and choosing the best between them.

But I had no doubts that Rapido were going to win this with such an excellent re-production of such an excellent prototype.

Well done Rapido.

Here's mine behind R2339 Mallard. My Dyna also derails in a couple of areas of my layout in the same fashion as mentioned before... leading wheels, they actually ride out of the rails on shallow bends, not tight ones.. I've watched it hop on a turnout, and a sweeper.

There also appears to be a strange print blemish above the 'bay window' on the measurement wheel side which is bugging me. :(

6ilLPic.jpg

RsZtblq.jpg

BkO8NgN.jpg

Then there is the Bachmann version.

44668606754_85951891c2_b.jpg
1938 revisted ?

No problems with the running.  Just a reminder there are two videos here, one in the light and one in the shade.:

https://youtu.be/kdsm52WF-Dg

https://youtu.be/FvnsaBMugoA

It does occur to me that if your track work is not level or the curves very sharp then it might be that the carriage is being lifted up by the measuring wheel under the centre of the coach?  Something to check?

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 3