RhB news

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Yes the maintenance departments new Thunderbird!
A friend‘s train was rescued on the Arosa, when they dug through the main power supply, they stuck a Tm on the downhill end and dragged / rolled ;) it back to Chur :) 

All the yellow machines seem to be the RhB Thunderbird unit ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Valser traffic appears to have migrated from vans to some smart green swapbodies - a nice cabride vid from Landquart roundhouse to Ilanz picking them up at Untervaz can be found here:

Not sure whether they have modded the siding at Ilanz or whether the traffic now runs via the intermodal terminal at Schnaus Strada slightly farther west... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose they could even have a crane at Ilanz itself to swap them soon  as there’s plenty of room. Good find that for the turntable at Landquart and some interesting formations too. 
I’ll admit to fast forwarding the plain line bits ;) 

• Like 1

Good to see that the remaining Ge4/4 I are still finding gainful employment. There can’t be many places where you can see a 1947-built locomotive on regular freight in 2020?

Shame about the Capricorn units appearing in the Davos platform at Filisur though ... that’s the first place I sampled Ge4/4 I haulage a couple of decades ago now!

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, JimFin said:

Looks like a Capricorn unit actually in service on the Davos / Filisur at 21.00 today. m200617210022066.jpg

I'd Seen a photo of one at Weisen earlier today but didn't know if it was on test of not - dropping one into the Pendelzug diagram was always going to be an easy way of getting one into traffic early on a diagram that doesn't interact with any conventionally buffered stock. 

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I suppose they could even have a crane at Ilanz itself to swap them soon  as there’s plenty of room. Good find that for the turntable at Landquart and some interesting formations too. 
I’ll admit to fast forwarding the plain line bits ;) 

Yeah, doubt that is, but agree you could have enough space if you needed to. 

My gut feeling is they are using the existing intermodal terminal, it's a very short extra distance on a good road and it'd keep the piggy packer there busy, I'll see what I can find out... 

Worth watching the whole thing (and his other vids) if you have time, I found it really helpful for understanding things like signalling as he 'calls' much of the signalling and signage. 

One interesting thing is the use of locos - why the 4/4i?

They have multiple 'spares' at present with only one panoramic train a day just restarting in the last week or so. 

You'd have thought the 4/4i would have all been stored again. 

Interresting it looked a bit like there was a 4/4iii on freight at Reichenau too. 

• RMweb Gold

The RhB like to cycle locos to keep them in good order and as they are due to retire I suppose it makes sense to use them and save the rest of the fleet.

12 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

Yeah, doubt that is, but agree you could have enough space if you needed to. 

I agree with your thoughts at present but there are two sidings at Ilanz, at opposite ends, with large empty flat areas next to them so that’s what make me wonder if they might develop more there. 

I like the swapbodies and nice to see the container traffic stock still being developed. Certainly a lot more efficient, if not as entertaining, than the mad dance with the electric pallet trucks in the Valser depot ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

Worth watching the whole thing (and his other vids) if you have time,

Yes I subscribed the other day :)  I hadn’t seen this one but his others are very good. I’ll watch the full thing one evening but was a bit busy wiring stuff up and painting stuff tonight ;) 

12 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The RhB like to cycle locos to keep them in good order and as they are due to retire I suppose it makes sense to use them and save the rest of the fleet.

From the photos that appear in the usual places online, I get the impression that working is often used to exercise the older members of the fleet?

14 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I agree with your thoughts at present but there are two sidings at Ilanz, at opposite ends, with large empty flat areas next to them so that’s what make me wonder if they might develop more there. 

I like the swapbodies and nice to see the container traffic stock still being developed. Certainly a lot more efficient, if not as entertaining, than the mad dance with the electric pallet trucks in the Valser depot ;) 

Hadn't watched the older (April) vid from him of the run to Disentis, watched that last night and that appears to confirm the terminal is Schnaus Strada - the siding at Ilanz is literally full of stored vans! 

The siding at  the North West corner of Ilanz is a maintainance siding with a newbuild shed over it, the NE one  you could possibly do that with, but that gets used to stage wagons ready for easy pickup as part of the handover between the "road" and "switcher" work from what I saw last year.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend lends me the Swiss magazine "Eisenbahn Amateur" and the latest issue mentions the Ilanz mineral water container traffic.  Thanks to Google translate, confirms what Glorious NSE has said:

"They roll in the goods trains Ilanz-Landquart, but the transshipment road-rails takes place in the goods handling center (GUZ) Schnaus-Strada. The Ilanz shunting team brings and fetches the wagons and operates the reachstacker. Part of the mineral water is currently still being reloaded in Ilanz and transported in Haik".

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There are some interesting photos of the new Valser containers/trains on this forum :-

https://www.modell-bahn.ch/forum/index.php?thread/7790-neue-werbepritschen-bei-der-rhb-valser/

I notice depending upon which type of wagon the containers are attached to some sit higher than others. I presume at the moment they are still being loaded using pallet trucks, but the height difference must cause problems.

Brian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, brigo said:

I notice depending upon which type of wagon the containers are attached to some sit higher than others.

You can see they are higher on the Rw’s due to a frame with the container pins on sitting on the flat deck so they obviously want those wagons able to be converted back easily as they also left the stanchions in place. The other Sp already has the locking pins from new. 

6 minutes ago, brigo said:

I presume at the moment they are still being loaded using pallet trucks, but the height difference must cause problems.

No as Martyn surmised they are going to Schnaus Strada to use the reach stacker, the pic with the Tm2/2 says it’s between Ilanz and Schnaus. They‘d need the flat raised platform like Ilanz depot to access with pallet trucks and it’s flat ground at Schnaus. 

copyright Google streetview

83AF2ACE-9329-4D89-8525-A3A2D2A72066.jpeg.07d7899d9cae5d9424aae949279110e4.jpeg 

• Like 3

From what I can see, they must still be unloaded with pallet trucks from the swapbodies in the Valser warehouse in Untervaz, I haven't spotted any kit for unloading the swapbody from the wagon that end.

Interesting comment in the thread of photos linked that the Ilanz transhipment is still in use, worth watching to see if that's a transitional thing, or in case of traffic surges?

Liking the random panorama car move also. 

• RMweb Premium

Its RhB releated - This morning there was a collision of two trains of the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn near Oberwald. Eleven people were injured.

The accident occurred around 10.10 p.m. in the ′′ Stephan-Holzer-Tunnel ′′ near Oberwald station. For currently unexplained reasons, a car train running from Oberwald towards Realp collided sideways with a regional train running towards Oberwald.

Seven people suffered minor injuries. These were medically cared for by local doctors. In addition, three people with ambulances were admitted to the hospital visp. An employee of the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn was flown to the hospital with a helicopter. The car train was loaded with around 15 vehicles. There were around 30 travellers on the regional train.

The rail traffic between Realp and Ulrichen is currently interrupted. Replacement buses Realp - Ulrichen are running.
The total travel time is extended by approx. 60 minutes.

gex.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Slightly more info on https://www.web24.news/u/2020/07/eleven-injured-in-collision-between-two-trains-in-valais.html

Open investigation

The piggyback train consisted of a locomotive with nine cars and was loaded with approximately 15 cars. The regional train included a locomotive, five cars with thirty passengers, said Friday shortly before noon the company Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn.

According to a spokesperson for the railway company, the collision occurred on a switch. The causes of the accident are not yet known. The prosecution has opened an investigation in collaboration with the Swiss security investigation service (SESE), says Mathias Volken...

and a German account with more pictures here

https://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/mehrere-passagiere-verletzt-zwei-zuege-der-matterhorn-gotthard-bahn-kollidiert-id15968438.html

with speculation by a passenger on what went wrong

Edited by eastwestdivide
more info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5