RhB news

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

Looks like they were lucky, the damage to the low floor car is pretty catastrophic. 

Yes two coaches smashed at a relatively slow speed shows how much they rely on end on impact over sides structurally. The two reports included quotes that may suggest the coach was already have sideways when hit,

collided sideways ”

-

“There he saw a passenger train car across the tracks. "

,which would be a different cause to the passengers speculation of not stopping. 

"I assume that the car train missed a signal and should have braked earlier." 

The report on the trains reaction would be consistent with reacting to the other train detailing too so nothing conclusive from the photos or witness in the report. The MGB are not having a great time in recent years with major accidents. :( 

• Like 1

STC have sent me a couple of emails this week pointing out Switzerland is open for tourists, my move at work has mostly happened, and it looks like we will be expected to use at least 20 days of this years leave allowance this year.... my head stays stay at home, my heart can already hear cow bells and yodelling.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes I was supposed to be going to Germany again but the head says why not give the health care system more time as we still don’t have prevention, only hopefully successful treatments. 
I console myself that the money will buy a lot of modelling supplies and decoders to finish off dcc’ing the RhB Nm. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, jonhall said:

STC have sent me a couple of emails this week pointing out Switzerland is open for tourists, my move at work has mostly happened, and it looks like we will be expected to use at least 20 days of this years leave allowance this year.... my head stays stay at home, my heart can already hear cow bells and yodelling.

Jon

I have a non refundable deposit on accom for a week in Davos in Aug which was supposed to be the family holiday - I'm considering going on my own as a railfan trip due to the circumstances tho, It's in the back of my mind it'll start to be a very different railway after this year... 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I thought I’d seen advice from the Swiss end that travel from the UK is not currently allowed?
Hope I have got that wrong mind as I haven’t managed to sample the Krokodile workings from Davos to Filisur yet.

Mark

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, MOB 2002 said:

I thought I’d seen advice from the Swiss end that travel from the UK is not currently allowed?

Well the Swiss travel centre is sending out emails saying come to Switzerland ;)

8F5C1517-622A-4C93-9A53-383803D85F80.jpeg.58f1675e131821250973cb5888e75bef.jpeg

Hope I have got that wrong mind as I haven’t managed to sample the Krokodile workings from Davos to Filisur yet.

They announced they were all suspended and although the GEX & BEX are advertised again the Nostalgia train sections aren’t there yet although they do appear on the printed timetables still. So not sure what the situation is on those. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MOB 2002 said:

sample the Krokodile workings from Davos to Filisur

Might be worth dropping them a question to check if there’s any limits to dates of operation via the website. They usually reply pretty quickly :)

but definitely worth it . .

2C68D2A6-95AD-4B61-90A3-BCF969EDE38A.jpeg.673136b91934d082079d3d509da73b5f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Just for a more precise answer to support MOB FAN's post: From the Swiss embassy page: https://www.eda.admin.ch/london

From Friday 10 July Switzerland is listed as a country with travel corridor exemption by the UK, meaning that persons travelling from Switzerland to England will be exempt from the need to self-isolate as set out below if they have not been to a country without travel corridor exemption in the previous 14 days.

(I highlighted England - as this may be different for Wales/Scotland/NI...)

And the Swiss end:

Switzerland lifted entry restrictions involving EU/EFTA states and the UK on 15 June. UK/EU/EFTA citizens travelling from the UK to Switzerland face no restrictions; freedom of movement has been re-established. Non-UK/EU/EFTA citizens will still face entry restrictions to Switzerland.

Worth also noting that face masks are now mandatory on public transport in Switzerland - I think that also is the case for the other countries you'd travel through if going overland...

Edited by Glorious NSE

• RMweb Gold

James Stapfer has uploaded another of his excellent videos from 2012. Covering log trains, Bernina freight and shunting. It did raise the question what else was carried in the Fb series high sided open wagons, I’ve seen them used as here for log traffic but most shots don’t show what the load is due to the angle. Does anyone know?

• Informative/Useful 2

Pure guesswork on the gondola loads, but the construction materiel that you sometimes nowadays see on flats (eg prefab concrete parts) - and non-bulk stuff with no need of weather protection (oil/chemical drums?)

Strikes me the sides are deliberately very high also, and I wonder if that's to allow them to be used for cattle transport if needed?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Glorious NSE said:

Strikes me the sides are deliberately very high also, and I wonder if that's to allow them to be used for cattle transport if needed?

Yes I’m trying to think of a bulk load light enough to fill it, stone would be too much so maybe woodchip etc with a tarp over it as it has the hooks? ;)

I doubt cattle simply because they had the wooden versions for years and the grey FB’s were new while that traffic was still going and they kept vans for it and still have quite few left. 

Well, it would show off a Milka cow quite nicely anyhow. :D

Update on RhB passenger ops:

Normal timetables running on all lines bar the panoramic trains.
Davos-Filisur "Heritage" turns are running.
Sat/Sun Rhine Gorge trains are running.
Weds/Thurs 15/16 Jul to 12/13 Aug the historic Bernina cars are running a service running between Pontresina and Alp Grum

GEX:
Only 902/903 are running currently (Zermatt-St Moritz)
904/905 (Same end points) restart 18th July according to the GEX site (but weirdly not the RhB one!)
The Zermatt-Chur and St Moritz-Brig and return runs look unlikely (to me) to restart this year.

BEX:
Only  950/951 (Chur-Tirano) operating at present, with extra stops at Filisur, Pontresina and Campocologno to keep service there
From July 30th 973/974/975/976 (the St Moritz-Tirano pairs) recommence running from Thursdays to Sundays only
The Landquart-Davos-Tirano pair again look unlikely to restart this year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks standard gauge and more importantly that it could be easily driven or pulled off again! I guess a Tesla full of batteries is harder to roll over to get it off. 

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

That looks standard gauge... 

Source story found by searching bits of the photo's filename:

http://www.bahnonline.ch/bo/71992/bennau-nach-selbstkollision-mit-auto-auf-bahngleis-gelandet-16-7-20.htm

according to which it's on the SOB line between Biberbrugg und Rothenthurm, i.e. standard gauge.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Premium

Sorry folk, should have linked to source and story - apparently the Tesla pulled out to overtake and the car being overtaken also pulled out to overtake, this is the result of the Tesla's avoiding action. 

Edited by JimFin
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

Think I've posted a link to this really useful site with booked passenger train formation info before - but the Allegra variant of this particular working makes my head hurt :D:

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&cislo=1036&nazev=&rok=2020

The loco-powered version is a bit mad too. I was going to write 'loco-hauled version', but the loco is in the middle of the passenger cars with freight on the back too. It's like they opened their stock boxes in random order and plonked them on the track. I think that just about beats anything the old Southern Region did!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the 3 unit Allegra is a loco as far as the RhB is concerned ;) . It seems they aren’t changing as much operationally as it looks at first glance.  The Capricorn’s are spreading beyond the traditional sphere of the rail car plus sets but the ‘mixed’ stuck on the back of a push pull seems to be continuing unchanged apart from the loco!

It still surprises me they chose the auto coupling on the Capricorn when it will run alongside traditional couplers so much unless they are generally reducing shunting staff king term. The UK scene is bedevilled by different couplers that make rescuing trains a pain in mid section and even with the adapters we’ve seen on Capricorn they aren’t easy to handle and I assume each set will have to carry one or it’s going to be far worse with so much single line. They are also going to need coupler bags in winter unless they have heating elements in them or the electrical boxes will freeze up, oh and you need to remember to remove the cover or you bend all the pins! ;)  

• Like 3

They've had essentially 4x spare Allegra's for the past few months with the 4x pairs of BEX trains being out of action, so their use in different places is logical - i'm expecting that to have reduced now that most of the BEX pairs are back, they should only have one extra spare now in theory.

Don't think much else will change till the December timetable change - even then the depot for them is still under construction and there are only a relatively small number of the 56 delivered at this time. Looks like delivered Capricorns are being stored in odd quiet sidings though.

I'd still expect fewer loco hauled trains diagrammed every year for the next couple of years.

Though maybe, despite the extra 20 ordered the impact will be less than we thought - did anyone else pick up on the "new standard platform length" for the Landquart to Klosters section in one of the youtube video's - it's sized for 4 sets - 16 car trains!

• RMweb Gold

I think the extensions are mostly future proofing with the steady increase in numbers and future eco considerations. The retirement of the 4/4i’s is imminent and the 73 batch of 4/4ii’s will start to go in the next few years too so the intensive use of those will leave quite a hole for the Capricorn’s to fill. I guess with so many Capricorn units we might see the later batch 4/4ii’s relegated to freight more and on demand use over such intensive diagrams as present. 
It’s the 6/6ii that seems to plod on regardless and they must be getting near another refurbishment. 
It’s nice to see the innovation in container freight still producing more conversions of existing stock with removable frames keeping a flexible eye on the future.
I keep wondering if they might do fuel containers eventually and just crane them onto the pad to dispense in smaller batches to lorries. I guess the weight of liquids currently makes the difference as overhead cranes would all need to be bigger. 

• Like 1