RhB news

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Reports from Swiss forums that a regional train pulled by Ge 4/4 I 602 has hit a landslide near Ilanz. No injuries but 602 plus first coach have derailed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JimFin said:

Reports from Swiss forums that a regional train pulled by Ge 4/4 I 602 has hit a landslide near Ilanz. No injuries but 602 plus first coach have derailed.

https://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/graubuenden/nach-starkem-regen-rhaetische-bahn-nahe-illanz-wegen-murgang-entgleist-id16022567.html

looks like a mudslide. 

• RMweb Premium

The line now appears to have opened, but how damaged is 602 and will it be repaired?  It looks like this was the weekend Rhine Gorge tourist train, with open coaches and hauled by the "historic" Ge 4/4/I 

When looking at the RhB site I noticed that the Arosa tunnel is being replaced and the Litzirüti - Arosa part of the Arosa line will be closed and buses used on this section from 7 September to 29 November 2020 and from mid-April to the end of November 2021. Rail operations will be temporarily restored for the 2020-2021 winter season.  Has this suddenly become urgent, as the geology in the area is apparently challenging?  I ask because this closure is not in the published 2019-2020 timetable, although the special timetable for the one week closure in November between Pontresina and Poschiavo is included (as was the Scuol-Tarasp closure last year).

https://www.rhb.ch/en/news-events/scheduled-railway-replacement/details/article/totalsperrung-litzirueti-arosa

• RMweb Gold

The Arosa closure this year not in the timetable suggests a temporary fix with major works next year to fix it. 
You’d think the tunnel is in one of the least challenging areas geologically but it can be ground water causing issues. We had problems with the tunnel moving in Salisbury a few years ago after an extended wet period. It moved over several months and it looked like it was going to go out of the dynamic gauge envelope but it settled down. 

I sometimes like to do the odd jigsaw puzzle, one contributor to the site I use often posts a RhB  picture. His/her latest offering on Sunday  was a picture of 602 passing the Glacier Express at Valendas-Sagogn on August 1st. Presumably the picture must have been taken shortly before the accident, weather was bright and sunny, so possibly the mudslide was caused by a sudden deluge. Here's the picture, need to do the puzzle first :P

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=1604e0507305

Brian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

On 01/08/2020 at 22:07, Satan's Goldfish said:

Wasting (works) time on YouTube yesterday I saw the below cabride vid from Landquart to St Moritz dated for Feb this year. Other than there's a Capricorn unit at Landquart, I noted on it that it mentions the track has been duelled from Bever to Samedan and is due to come in to use from March. I'd heard mention once before that it was being duelled but seen no images of any work (unlike the 2nd bridge at Richenau). I'm assuming it came in to use earlier this year despite Covid as it looks complete in the vid?

The stretch between Bever and Samedan looks shorter than I remember too, must mean I'm overdue a visit...

Very nice selection of short loco hauled passenger trains on this run too. I'm guessing a lot of these are due to be replaced by the capricorns? The Albula and Bernina seem to get the majority of video attention, but judging by the amount of freight facilities alongside the run from Landquart to Verina and along the Engadine, plus the fact it's mostly loco hauled passenger services, is that route a bit of a hidden gem? In know I travelled it a couple of years ago but I didn't notice as much as I did in this video.

The poster of this video has a few more on YouTube. There is one taken in May of Pontresina to Scuol/Tarasp. Really excellent video. It shows the Samedan to Bever double tracking is in use, but there is only a single track through Bever itself because of the station rebuild.

I was surprised to find that Sagliains  station has been rebuilt further East, much further and they could have done away with Lavin. Looks like the only benefits are longer platforms and a longer siding possibly for shuttle trains.

https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.swissimage&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_opacity=1,1,1,0.8&layers_visibility=false,false,false,false&layers_timestamp=18641231,,,&E=2803460.45&N=1182751.98&zoom=11

There is also a video of St Moritz to Tirano in winter. Almost scary not being able to see the track under the snow.

Brian

• Like 1

On 02/08/2020 at 02:03, PaulRhB said:

That whole gorge section is effectively a massive ancient slide!

Another pic here - doesn't look like a huge amount of damage, but if they have spare power right now who knows...
https://www.suedostschweiz.ch/ereignisse/2020-08-02/zugverkehr-zwischen-reichenau-tamins-und-ilanz-laeuft-wieder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

No looks fairly minor but it will depend what damage to the bogies and rear of the cab if the coach rode up a bit. 
Hopefully just a jack up and jet wash will be needed, fingers crossed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A nice contrast between cab rides - Filisur to Davos with a Capricorn, and return to Filisur (including the shunt moves) on the Krok.

Performance on the Capricorns is pretty smart!

(And if anyone has the question "what does the inside of Davos shed look like?", this will help.) ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Minor intermodal-nerd observation - I knew the wagons had the capability but i'd not seen it used - a couple of days last week there were ISO 20' boxes being carried on some of the Albula freights:

https://www.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/a200807113855727
https://www.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/a200806113939887

They all look very patched/weathered, so I'm unsure whether that points to old boxes moving to be used as storage units somewhere?

(The 30' fuel tank containers in one of those pics are pretty cool also...)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Glorious NSE said:

Minor intermodal-nerd observation - I knew the wagons had the capability but i'd not seen it used - a couple of days last week there were ISO 20' boxes being carried on some of the Albula freights:

https://www.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/a200807113855727
https://www.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/a200806113939887

They all look very patched/weathered, so I'm unsure whether that points to old boxes moving to be used as storage units somewhere?

(The 30' fuel tank containers in one of those pics are pretty cool also...)

Good spot! I'd always assumed they could take a 20' dry box due to some of the tanktainers seen on them. The 30' tanks on the standard stake wagons is an interesting find too, that would imply those wagons could carry dry boxes too if required, should be long enough for a 40' but suspect axle weight when loaded might become the restrictive factor (a loaded 30' tank isn't exactly light though, assuming what goes up the line empty is planning on coming back down loaded!)

The flats can take a 40' (deck length is just over 50'), and the weight is ok (they are designed to also do log traffic!) 

I've never seen a 40' loaded tho!

Always wondered whether High cubes would fit too! 

Guess there's just not the demand to move that much of anything in one hit! 

Screenshot_20200811_203351_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/07/2020 at 12:56, Glorious NSE said:

Thanks - just trying to work out what I can get away with balancing riding the trains and shooting them... :)

There's also the viaduct at Davos Wiesen which is good for shots towards Filisur. You can phot the Krok leaving from the viewing area and still have time to get back to the station to pick it up on the return. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

Thanks - yes good call.

To all RMWeb-peeps - if there's anything specific on RhB that folk want shots of, let me know. No guarantees and no promises obviously, but if I can I will...

If you can get a decent square on image of just the Graubunden shield on a 4/4ii? I tried at St Moritz but too grainy with the iPhone in fading light. It used to be easy before stations were modernised. Thanks ;) 

CF71BF3A-4BE3-4AA9-8E68-781656F4E4D6.jpeg.8489aeb543cf2c05a209287dcca73d0f.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Glorious NSE said:

Thanks - yes good call.

To all RMWeb-peeps - if there's anything specific on RhB that folk want shots of, let me know. No guarantees and no promises obviously, but if I can I will...

If you make it to the Albula line any shots from the section between Bergun and Preda would be great, especially around Muot and the spiral tunnels near Toua. 

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

A selection between Bergün and Preda from years gone by. I also have quite a few taken from the rear of the train when I travelled up there in a panorama wagon behind a krok in 2013. I’m sure I could find some of these and share them if your interested

44F70187-34F3-437D-B39E-35E08E473008.jpeg

FE9B737D-D1F9-4B3A-BFD5-AF1C7CF6B323.jpeg

530A2C40-A737-4584-A325-0036A7B2B76A.jpeg

D9126576-3E31-4C53-9BC1-EBE4BD928B81.jpeg

6661C041-B156-41D2-9897-3E772E5E7A45.jpeg

DFC62D5B-73BC-4ED2-A8F2-C617B4AD20AA.jpeg

56EB77CE-D7A6-48D4-BEBC-17FFA6635A8E.jpeg

4699BAD4-3FDA-4635-BE79-6F8C9EE5AD33.jpeg

F07097CA-DCB3-44FF-817E-98E0356D606C.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 13/08/2020 at 09:39, 5944 said:

There's also the viaduct at Davos Wiesen which is good for shots towards Filisur. You can phot the Krok leaving from the viewing area and still have time to get back to the station to pick it up on the return. 

Managed to do exactly that in sun last week; photted the Krok, had a beer from the excellent Monsteiner brewery, then rode it back to Davos. 

IMG_97391600.jpg

20200812_151437.jpg

20200812_163112.jpg

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

That last photo is excellent - face masks, bottled beer, head out of window heading towards a tunnel. All risks covered.

You forgot cuddled up to each other :lol:

• Agree 1

On 03/08/2020 at 08:54, brigo said:

I sometimes like to do the odd jigsaw puzzle, one contributor to the site I use often posts a RhB  picture. His/her latest offering on Sunday  was a picture of 602 passing the Glacier Express at Valendas-Sagogn on August 1st. Presumably the picture must have been taken shortly before the accident, weather was bright and sunny, so possibly the mudslide was caused by a sudden deluge. Here's the picture, need to do the puzzle first :P

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=1604e0507305

Brian

Curse you. I have become addicted to online puzzles now. :D :D

• Thanks 1