RhB news

PaulRhB

The era of locomotive pulled trains seems to rapidly coming to an end in Switzerland, as the classic electric locomotives are coming of age now. Mind you even the Ge 4/4 III is up  26 years in service now! The Ge 4/4 II started 46 years ago!

With SLM being long gone, there is no source for small batches of narrow gauge locomotives available any longer.

6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Reading that, and looking at the couplings, I suspect these may not be compatible with hauling extra coaches in peak periods. Combine that with the new driving trailers discussed elsewhere then this may not be the beginning of the end for loco push/pull sets yet.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I’m not sure of the output yet but I think these are like the three unit Allegra and as powerful as the 4/4iii’s so will be hauling coaches and freight. I don’t know if there’s a split in the traction design as the four unit Allegra’s are only powered on a single car as they were only intended for commuter runs around Chur. 

These will replace the Davos and Engadine shuttles. 

Another site in English witha short video

https://railway-news.com/stadler-capricorn-train-switzerland/

They appear to have only one unit powered with the other three having low floors. Fully automatic couplers with the ability to have trains that split. I can see them being used for a train that goes from Landquart to Sagliains and then splitting with one part to Scuols and the other to St Moritz.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

So it looks like they are just units for passenger work and we will see less mixed trains if they can’t pull goods stock. Much like here though they’ll lose the ability to add an extra coach in unless you’ll just see that with the Albula sets between loco and train. 

If the locos become mostly freight only I guess some of the shunting tractors will be surplus to requirements as they were used to hook stuff in and off passenger trains a lot. 

Just a thought; how old are the ew iv coaches now? Their lines better match all the new albula stock (and the extra driving trailers) as well as all the panorama coaches, and I'd hazard a guess that as they are younger than the majority of the loose coaching stock they are in a better condition.... yeah that's a big assumption! So with the reduction of loco hauled sets as the new units appear could we see the older albula additional coaches all replaced with ew iv coaches?...

I've been doing a count up too; the ge4/4iii from observations seem to be used for albula sets, Vereina tunnel car shuttles, and a couple of the 'pendlezug' runs from landquart, Davos, to Filisur. Ge4/4ii and allegra cover most of the rest of the core passenger services (they also appear on some freight), Capricorn would look to be replacing most of those services, but a single unit doesn't have the same capacity as the current chur - disentis/munster formations, but 2 joined together would be a big capacity increase. Also, the ge4/4ii are used for glacier Express portions along the albula that aren't added to the standard hourly service. The couple of ge4/4iii freed up from Davos by the Capricorn units could replace the GEX 4/4ii, but there's still other services that could need locomotives (see new 2nd class driving trailers on the Engadine)... plus the freight that 4/4ii sometimes double head, I don't think this is the end of them. Especially when you bear in mind that there's still a couple of 4/4i in use too, maybe they will finally get to retire?!

Any mention of replacement coaches for the Bernina yet or can we still get our ew i fix there for a while yet?

• RMweb Gold

The 4/4i’s are due to go when the new tunnel work finishes. The 4/4ii’s early batch will go as they come round for the next overhaul. That will leave all the 4/4iii’s, plus the extra one bought from the MOB for the Vereina tunnel,  the 80’s batch of 4/4ii’s and the Ge6/6ii’s soldiering on. That is more than enough once the Capricorn take over most of the local services and replace the Be series emus too. I was just a bit surprised they went for auto couplings so can’t pull freight. I guess the St Moritz - Klosters - Chur services will remain loco hauled with wagons tacked on the back by Tmf’s to cater for that or they’ll have to run more pure freight trains? 

It’s all guesses but unless they see no future for goods at Zernez and Scuol they are going to need Allegra’s or locos on some services up the Engadine. 

• RMweb Gold

I may be cynical but it sounds like everyone else does it so must we while the RhB has always seemed to do well doing its own thing. 

It would be interesting to hear the staff opinions but Gion has been very quiet on these.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dont know if everyone knows about this, but this useful passenger train consists site: https://www.vagonweb.cz/ now has coverage of RhB train formations. Obviously only passenger ones, but that includes the mixed trains.

I suspect in reality the freight content will vary a lot compared to the plan, but it's interesting as a "style guide" nonetheless, plus a handy way of seeing if it's LHCS or unit based.

Examples:
https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&cislo=4109&nazev=&rok=2019
https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&kategorie=R&cislo=4307&nazev=&rok=2019

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&kategorie=RE&cislo=4011&nazev=&rok=2019

If you find a vehicle type you like, click on the little icon below it and it'll show all the trains that use that vehicle type...

(Enjoy!)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

From Glenn on the RhB forum:

First Ge4/4ii has been withdrawn. 628 S-Chanf sustained damage after hitting a rock in May and has been deemed too expensive to repair. The Capricorn units were due to replace the early, (1973 built 611-620), 4/4/ii’s so it will be interesting to see if one gets a reprieve with 628 going. 

And project Landwasser with a historic depot at Survara and shuttle trains to Filisur and Davos. 

https://www.projekt-landwasserviadukt.ch/DE/attraktionsraum.html

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The 4/4i’s are due to go with the completion of the Albula tunnel, they’ve been retained for construction trains but once the Capricorn’s are in service those sorts of duties will cascade to the 4/4ii’s displaced by them. 

It was noted elsewhere that they rolled out 3112 in April but 3111 is the first to arrive on the RhB so I wonder if 3112 still is a dynamic test unit at the factory?

• RMweb Gold

Yes the RhB just uses power wherever :) It’s the cascade of the other locos coinciding with the Albula tunnel works intended end that will spell the end though according to the original source. They’ve been used a lot on the construction traffic and there’s even been a proposal to rebuild one back to original condition but I’m not sure if that’s wishful thinking ;) 

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the dates they retire are actually likely to be around their next due major overhaul than just one day, much like what was announced for the 4/4ii’s.

It’s an interesting comparison to my first visit in the early 80’s as to how many services are loco hauled once the Capricorn’s are in service. When I was first there half the Engadine services were railcars and the Arosa was still DC railcars. 

So I suspect the balance will tip only slightly to railcars compared to the 80’s. There was a loco ‘surge’ in the mid 90’s as the 4/4iii’s came in and then the 4/4ii’s took over the Arosa initially, when it went AC. So we gained 13 4/4iii’s from 93-99 , (incl the MOB one currently on the way), and will lose 4 4/4i’s and 10 4/4ii’s. So overall we will have had about 25 years of more loco hauled and revert back to the 80’s balance :) 

It seems the main difference being the Albula will have more railcar services than the 80’s while Davos and the Engadine have more push pull loco services than then?

Edited by PaulRhB

• 3 months later...