Locomotionmodels.com NEW RELEASES...

I ordered City of Truro when it was first announced. APC delivered it the week it was released but put the wrong item number on the delivery slip so I couldn't rearrange a delivery. APC say they sent it back to Locomotion but I can't contact them to confirm. They don't answer the phone, return messages, reply to emails or contact via RMWeb. I have to say I am throughly disappointed with Locomotion's customer service.

Response from Locomotionmodels.com

Having had a busy day at the Warley exhibition it is naturally disappointing in a day of many positives to find a post to bring us crashing back to earth!

You will appreciate that I have only been in post a couple of days and I do not yet have a Locomotion email address or I would suggest that Ossy5190 contacts me directly. I have, however, asked for the problem to be investigated and for Locomotionmodels to get back to him on Monday.

I hope to be able to offer more positive communication with members of RM Web in future once I have access to the network. We are in the process of setting this up but please appreciate that it may be a couple of weeks before both Rich and are up fully up to speed with the operation (Rich does not arrive until 3rd December).

On a more positive note thanks to all those who dropped by the Locomotionmodels stand (D113) to say hello and provide feedback on what we have produced so far and what they would like to see in future. We look forward to meeting more of you tomorrow.

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotionmodels

• Like 2

Having had a busy day at the Warley exhibition it is naturally disappointing in a day of many positives to find a post to bring us crashing back to earth!

You will appreciate that I have only been in post a couple of days and I do not yet have a Locomotion email address or I would suggest that Ossy5190 contacts me directly. I have, however, asked for the problem to be investigated and for Locomotionmodels to get back to him on Monday.

I hope to be able to offer more positive communication with members of RM Web in future once I have access to the network. We are in the process of setting this up but please appreciate that it may be a couple of weeks before both Rich and are up fully up to speed with the operation (Rich does not arrive until 3rd December).

On a more positive note thanks to all those who dropped by the Locomotionmodels stand (D113) to say hello and provide feedback on what we have produced so far and what they would like to see in future. We look forward to meeting more of you tomorrow.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotionmodels

Thank you both, I look forward to seeing the model.

Ross

• Like 3

Great to see that Dennis is already taking the time to check and get Locomotion Models back to operating well. Such a swift response and promise of action will make people even more confident of the difference that the new team can bring to Locomotion and the NRM.

I have to admit, I have been puzzled as to why on earth the NRM has let Rails get involved on the sale and supply of some models that could have been done by Locomotion Models. While it would have been excellent for the NRM in miniature to continue, Locomotion would have been an excellent means to get models of preservation subjects all sold at the same place with Locomotion acting on their behalf, saving the groups having to set up each operation individually. However, this seems to be moving more towards Rails and their involvement - to which I think Locomotion and its brand have massively missed out.

Will be interesting to see how things develop.

Great to see that Dennis is already taking the time to check and get Locomotion Models back to operating well. Such a swift response and promise of action will make people even more confident of the difference that the new team can bring to Locomotion and the NRM.

I have to admit, I have been puzzled as to why on earth the NRM has let Rails get involved on the sale and supply of some models that could have been done by Locomotion Models. While it would have been excellent for the NRM in miniature to continue, Locomotion would have been an excellent means to get models of preservation subjects all sold at the same place with Locomotion acting on their behalf, saving the groups having to set up each operation individually. However, this seems to be moving more towards Rails and their involvement - to which I think Locomotion and its brand have massively missed out.

Will be interesting to see how things develop.

Locomotionmodels.com is a brand of Science Museum Group Enterprises which is the trading company for all the museums in the Science Museum Group which includes the Railway Museum. The museums are funded by Grant in Aid from the Government which is supplemented by revenue from Corporate partnership membership subscriptions and its retail and catering outlets at York and Shildon. Admission to both museums is of course free for visitors.

Locomotionmodels.com was established in 2012 to help to generate additional revenue for the Locomotion museum and for the care and display of items in the National Collection across the NRM. As well as an “in museum” shop in Shildon, the online business was established to continue producing models from the National Collection which are branded “National Collection in Miniature”. This was initially started by the NRM at York in 2006, in addition to selling the full range of models from the major manufacturers.  The exclusive editions are produced for us by established model railway manufacturers. Some are produced from existing tooling and others from totally new tooling. Each project requires significant financial commitments for which SMG Enterprises has limited funds and often things which the business would ideally like to do are not possible consequently.

Rails are Corporate Partners of the Railway Museum along with several other organisations which includes model manufacturers Dapol and Hornby.

The Corporate Partnership and associated cooperation agreement with Rails have allowed us to expand the number of models we produce by sharing the commercial risk. This allows the costs of production to be shared between the partners and for the museum versions to be released under the Locomotionmodels range with other versions being released by Rails (the Dynamometer Car is an example of this). Rails are in return permitted access to retail some of the earlier models produced for Locomotionmodels enabling us to fund further models for future release. Rails is also able to help the business with market advice, promotion and reach as one of the largest retailers in the country with massive expertise.

Without the input of Rails, the range of models available would be considerably reduced. The production of the Dynamometer Car would simply not have occurred without the partnership with Rails and we look forward to being able to introduce further iconic models for the “National Collection in Miniature” in due course. The partnership is currently working to produce the Terrier and the newly announced production Deltic are the most recent examples of products now in the pipeline which would not have happened otherwise. There are others which have yet to be announced.

The partnership has real and tangible benefits both ways and is highly valued by both parties. It is not true that “Locomotion and its brand have massively missed out”. Both partners believe that the synergy of the two brands is benefitting both businesses equally. This is evident by the lift in sales and reach which Locomotionmodels has seen over recent months.

Further developments will be seen over the coming months following the recent appointment of two new members to the Locomotionmodels team.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotionmodels.com

• Like 5

My thanks to Dennis on explaining the history of the Locomotion Museum brand, which might not be fully aware to others. However, as a regular visitor of the museum I have watched and enjoyed the development of the Locomotion museum and see it enjoy some remarkable success.

The museum and its staff are all friendly and helpful. Some of the events that happen regularly for modellers have been a integral part of the museums programme for years, providing an excellent chance for the museums collection to be showcased alongside displays of models some of which often feature the NRM collection in miniature on layouts in the same venue of the others in the collection.

Clearly the initial idea of Locomotion models was to showcase and sell models as an income stream to help the organisation of the NRM. While this has allowed the range to expand, it obviously requires a massive amount of capital in order to get projects made, with eventual profit being used to fund another model that could then cover costs and make profit. This would then pay down the capital used and then generate an income stream. While there have been successful models that have been made and released from Locomotion, some of these have then moved into the standard catalogue from one manufacture and other partners, which contribute to the museum are also able to select stock for releases. Its understandable that the costs for getting such a process up and running with new stock solely a part of the NRM fleet has proven both costly to finance and develop.

Getting Rails on-board as a partner is indeed a great asset. Perhaps northern tact bypassed subtly again in my previous post (for which I apologise), but it was just my impression that the NRM has an asset that could have been standalone and could have been solely controlled by the NRM. While I know this to be a diversion away from what they were doing previously, I would have thought that such an operation over the time spent should have been and grown into a commercial success.

However, the model railway business is not as easy as some think and while I might be pondering on this from an academic hypothetical viewpoint as much as what I have seen in person, getting partner organisations to support the range and almost franchise it out, would be another excellent way of developing the range and brilliant use of partner support. Its just that with the original set up I thought the goal was to be independent and get most use of partner support by controlling the assets and sole release through Locomotion, which would have created an excellent core brand. So please don't see my thoughts on Rails involvement as negative or counter productive, when the opposite is true. I just wonder why Locomotion Models is not as strong as what it could been, but expect funds would play a big part in that. As Dennis has said, by working with Rails, Locomotion can access and are supported by excellent involvement with the retail trade and experience in the sector. This as well as Rails ability to take on projects and push them all forwards.

That's why I think the future will be interesting on how Locomotion moves forwards, but the recent additions to the team and the broader support of partners in the future means that Locomotion I think will develop significantly and become and even stronger asset to the NRM.

but it was just my impression that the NRM has an asset that could have been standalone and could have been solely controlled by the NRM. 

It's fair to say that the relationship works better, not just because of funding but also because of having a wider skill set and time availability for research, project management and marketing which can achieve far more than the resources of just a public-funded organisation which has to juggle many tasks in the course of their working lives and spend time navigating civil service and even local government matters.

• Like 1

Hello,

I too have a message for Mr Lovett via this forum. I'm trying to spend some money with Locomotion and the site keeps falling over when it gets to the 'Sagepay' page. Error 5080 'Form Transaction Registration failed' appears. I don't know if they are aware of the problem. I have sent two emails and two 'phone messages and no reply to date despite the assurance 'we will reply within 5 days'.

Cheers,

Philip

Hello,

I too have a message for Mr Lovett via this forum. I'm trying to spend some money with Locomotion and the site keeps falling over when it gets to the 'Sagepay' page. Error 5080 'Form Transaction Registration failed' appears. I don't know if they are aware of the problem. I have sent two emails and two 'phone messages and no reply to date despite the assurance 'we will reply within 5 days'.

Cheers,

Philip

Response from Locomotion Models

We have investigated this problem with ‘Sagepay’ who have found that the error occurred due to the number of characters for the first name box exceeding the allowed number of characters. It would appear that Philip used his second name etc. in addition to Philip, which would have been sufficient to forward the payment.

Stuart at Shildon has emailed Philip in an effort to resolve the situation to everyone’s satisfaction and to get the order moving forward.

The lack of response was caused by staff sickness at Shildon for which I can only apologise.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion.com

• Like 1

Hello,

I thought I'd better get back asap Andy, and say the matter appears to be resolved, but I see Mr Lovett has beaten me to it.

Thank you Mr Lovett and Stuart for having looked into the problem and getting back so quickly. I'll now re-do the order (and shorten my name ;) ).

Cheers,

Philip

Edit: Order now gone through, thanks.

Edited by Philou
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It would be useful if N gauge modellers could have something exclusive to buy. An exclusively tooled model might be too risky but I see Dapol and Peco allow short run commission wagon runs and Dapol used  to allow a run of 150 for locos. I prefer real liveries. There must be a private owner wagon on display, suitable locos and NRM named loco.

Guest Locomotion No. 3

We do take notice of requests for new models which form part of the National Collection and we have a list of suitable subjects for potential future production. 

Catering for the N Scale market is far more difficult. Experience gained in my previous employment taught me that it takes far longer to sell N Scale limited edition models than it does for OO Scale ones, N Scale limited edition models taking years rather than months to sell. There is not the same potential market for limited edition releases in N Scale at the present time as there is in OO, although that may change in future. 

Whilst we will continue to monitor the N Scale situation, it is not a market that Locomotion Models has on its radar currently.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotionmodels.com

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Locomotion No. 3 said:

We do take notice of requests for new models which form part of the National Collection and we have a list of suitable subjects for potential future production. 

Catering for the N Scale market is far more difficult. Experience gained in my previous employment taught me that it takes far longer to sell N Scale limited edition models than it does for OO Scale ones, N Scale limited edition models taking years rather than months to sell. There is not the same potential market for limited edition releases in N Scale at the present time as there is in OO, although that may change in future. 

Whilst we will continue to monitor the N Scale situation, it is not a market that Locomotion Models has on its radar currently.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotionmodels.com

Dennis,

Don't forget that the list needs to include the most important letter in the alphabet - and coincidentally your first name begins with the same letter ;)

Regards,  Mike

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Dennis,

Don't forget that the list needs to include the most important letter in the alphabet - and coincidentally your first name begins with the same letter ;)

Regards,  Mike

D for all LNER 4-4-0s or SECR 4-4-0 class or Deltic, D for Drummond or Dean, D for Doncaster Works or Derby Works, D for Duchess of Hamilton? You're in a cryptic mood again.

Edited by Andy W

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Andy W said:

D for all LNER 4-4-0s or SECR 4-4-0 class or Deltic, D for Drummond or Dean, D for Doncaster Works or Derby Works, D for Duchess of Hamilton? You're in a cryptic mood again.

Nothing like keeping folk on their toes - although some of those Ds are already covered of course.

BTW you missed SwinDon :jester:

• 7 months later...

I see the D class has broken cover and been announced. While its great to see those people that get a model happy with its news, yet again, this is a Southern model for an area of the market that must be over saturated with choice. I can understand the reasoning behind it, the area is popular and the Wainwright C was sold very well with its pleasant pre-grouping livery been a draw for some.

Yet, there are other areas still seeing nothing done for an area - including the area responsible for the forerunner of the National Collection - that being the NER. So as 4-4-0 are the theme of some NRM releases... I'll just park this here.

M1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The Locomotion list of locos says otherwise with four North Eastern area models and one Southern one on the current list . . . ;)

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/exclusive-models/steam-locomotives.htm

True but, at the same time, false. @The Black Hat was referring to NER. Of the 4 NE offerings from Locomotion, two are post-grouping, and the other two are the wrong pre-grouping company.

• RMweb Gold

But if we get that specific then there’s been nothing for the South Eastern in the NRM collection and Bachmann are just about to deliver the NER J72. 

I’m still patiently waiting for the LNWR models ;) oh and the L&B coach and then Rocket . . . :diablo_mini:

I guess that's just the problem with modelling pre-grouping in RTR.

Personally, I'm interested in pre-war SR. So as long as it wasn't scrapped before 1938, and it carries a suitable period livery, it's fair game.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Dapol, Rails & Locomotion Models on this announcement. We wish them every success with the project!

In The Annual 00 Wishlist Poll, the loco has always been High Polling and went into The Top 50 in 2018. It came in at overall position equal 22nd.

This announcement has come too late to be removed from The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019, but we will be sure to mention it within The Results.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/148198-qa-the-00-wishlist-poll-2019/

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Yet, there are other areas still seeing nothing done for an area - including the area responsible for the forerunner of the National Collection - that being the NER. So as 4-4-0 are the theme of some NRM releases...

Just to point out the Locomotion didn't choose what to make, it is a Rails of Sheffield project with (I assume) help from Locomotion.

Locomotion can't tell the retailers or manufacturers what to make, and one of the ways to get any NER stuff made is vote in the annual poll to show their is a market for said models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

59 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

But if we get that specific then there’s been nothing for the South Eastern in the NRM collection and Bachmann are just about to deliver the NER J72. 

I’m still patiently waiting for the LNWR models ;) oh and the L&B coach and then Rocket . . . :diablo_mini:

South Eastern became part of SECR so there is something from them in the collection and the company was a lot smaller than some others that existed. Some smaller companies are very small and the reproduction of them in model form will be too niche to be profitable.

You can not say that of the NER or LNWR - but my focus is on new tooling that has been introduced to the NRM range first and then perhaps added to main ranges later. In one or two cases vice versa. Your always going to have Mallard or Flying Scotsman done as part of an NRM range, Duchess of Hamilton would be another. So, in that case yes there has been Deltic, but things like City class, Midland Compound, and the Ivatt Atlantic (but this has been done as a means to get the Southern model). You also have the D17 for Great Central, the Lanc and Yorkshire Coal Tank. Rapido arrive to the party with the Sterling Single. Yet, there has been no indigenous northern release as part of the NRM - both the pre-grouping releases were designed for runs to London.

What's needed are more pre-grouping designs that encompass other areas. If the 4-4-0 range that sits nicely in the NRM, but would nicely be a collection in its own right that can add the novelty and niche interest item - then there's the reason why the Wainwright D is being done and why surely the NRM M1 / D17, or something LNWR, should soon be added later. My guess would be that LNWR is added first to go with Bachmanns continual plug for the pre-grouping Midland region that they are plugging away at, despite its plummet in the wish lists polls. So sadly guess that an engine like M1, which is perfect and matches best the quintessential lines of a pre-grouping engine best, will certainly be a long while yet.