Locomotionmodels.com NEW RELEASES...

1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

True, but the original goal of Locomotion was that all profit would be ploughed back into the NRM. With Rails they take some, but given the volume of projects the NRM would get more, which as I said above is good too and also agree with what you say. So the relationship has been a good development its just a shame that NRM didn't do it solo.

But would you and others still be saying the same thing if the NRM self financed a new model, and the new model didn't sell enough units to cover the costs so the NRM lost money?

The biggest benefit with this relationship (and other others) is that the NRM reduces it's risks and benefits from the market knowledge that the retailers/manufacturers have as to what the market is actually willing to buy in sufficient numbers.

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Not really fussed who does it Jason. Although initial euphoria over the Caley 812 dissipated when I knew it was Bachmann that was doing it. I thought it would take years to get here and be expensive! Sadly that’s proving to be the case . 18 months in (the original estimated time) I think we are still some way away and it’s coming up to £200.

I would point out that the new D is £200 or below, so not exclusively a Bachmann issue.  I suspect it reflects that these are more niche models that won't sell in the volume that most models do.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, mdvle said:

But would you and others still be saying the same thing if the NRM self financed a new model, and the new model didn't sell enough units to cover the costs so the NRM lost money?

The biggest benefit with this relationship (and other others) is that the NRM reduces it's risks and benefits from the market knowledge that the retailers/manufacturers have as to what the market is actually willing to buy in sufficient numbers.

I would point out that the new D is £200 or below, so not exclusively a Bachmann issue.  I suspect it reflects that these are more niche models that won't sell in the volume that most models do.

Yes I would be saying so, but the NRM would have a collection and popular choices that would be very likely to be good sellers. I appreciate that working with partners does reduce the risk and allows other capital to develop the projects. Originally the engines were to be done as preserved, but then it broadened to previous guises of the same engine in previous eras, to then include classmates of a type that was in the NCiM range.

The price of models has always been higher in the NCiM range, whether done by Locomotion or Rails. I can understand why, with the being a limited edition and exclusive at the time, even if some later entered the main range of companies like Bachmann.

On 15/10/2019 at 15:15, D9020 Nimbus said:

Some ex-NER engines are now in (or coming to) various mainstream ranges—the G5, J27 and Q6 for example. Also the re-done J72 (though the livery it bears in NER form is almost certainly fictional). Of the NER engines surviving, I'd say the J21 would be by far the most useful (although its condition isn't a credit to the museum).

The D17 is an historic engine, of course, but I'd rather have a D20 (not from Locomotion, though).

The reason for the presence of a number of East Coast locos in the collection is that the original York Museum was established by the NER who donated appropriate locos to it. The LNER followed suit (hence the Ivatt Atlantic). The LNWR could have done something similar—but it didn't. Am I correct in thinking that Hardwicke is the only surviving LNWR example not to have been modelled yet?

The LNWR ceased to exist as a separate entity in 1923. They didn't  establish their own museum or did AFAIK the LMS of which the LNWR had become part, unlike the LNER which established a museum in 1928, which later became the NRM. The LNWR did retain examples of a number of locomotive classes at Crewe but William Stanier had them scrapped. 

The LNWR Precedent Class 2-4-0 Hardwicke is probably the only existing LNWR loco not yet modelled that is viable as a 00 RTR model ( the 0-4-0 Shunting tank being too small and irrelevant to interest most buyers although there is a 4mm kit on the way). As Hardwicke is in the NRM  collection it would be available for 3D scanning, which appears to be the prefixed approach to producing new models.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
typo

7 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The LNWR ceased to exist as a separate entity in 1923. They didn't  establish their own museum or did AFAIK the LMS of which the LNWR had become part, unlike the LNER which established a museum in 1928, which later became the NRM. The LNWR did retain examples of a number of locomotive classes at Crewe but William Stanier had them scrapped. 

The LNWR Precedent Class 2-4-0 Hardwicke is probably the only existing LNWR loco not yet modelled that is viable as a 00 RTR model ( the 0-4-0 Shunting tank being too small and irrelevant to interest most buyers although there is a 4mm kit on the way). As Hardwicke is in the NRM  collection it would be available for 3D scanning, which appears to be the prefixed approach to producing new models.

Actually Cornwall hasn't been done in R-T-R 00 Gauge either, only the G2A and Coal Tank out of all preserved LNWR loco classes have been made.