Locomotionmodels.com NEW RELEASES...

Guest spet0114

Three questions:

1. Are the two models of City of Truro going to be simply new batches of the earlier ones (31-725NRM and 31-725ANRM respectively) or will there be minor differences and hence new catalogue numbers?

2. Will the models of 47 798 and 799 portray matching periods? The reason I ask is that I thought that the 2013 model of 798 represented it in its post-preservation guise (black-backed nameplates etc) at which time 799 was no longer in 'royal' condition.

3. Will the model of 799 portray its various idiosyncrasies - hasn't one end got a plated-over headcode box?

Cheers
Adrian

Edited by spet0114

• RMweb Premium

Just another point too ..... there are some beautiful models to come this year which some of you will be pleased with,

You'll get to hear about those in the coming months

Happy days!

That's a tease!

Hmmm,  I'm looking out for a new tool Class 31 (Brush Type 2/3) and a 4-COR EMU! The former with a decent chassis, the latter with internal lights, motor in the guards compartment, and route indicator lights (like the Hornby 2-SUB, before they went design clever). I was a bit worried when somebody mentioned an Oerlikon, whether it would be a single, twin or twin power unit from WW2!

I'm still hoping Boxhill will get done one day. Fingers crossed for later in the year...

Hopefully not until we get a model Terrier up to modern standards. Preferably from Hornby or Bachmann.

The Dapol/Hornby one must be nearly 30 years old....

Edited for date. It first came out in 1988.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Three questions:

1. Are the two models of City of Truro going to be simply new batches of the earlier ones (31-725NRM and 31-725ANRM respectively) or will there be minor differences and hence new catalogue numbers?

2. Will the models of 47 798 and 799 portray matching periods? The reason I ask is that I thought that the 2013 model of 798 represented it in its post-preservation guise (black-backed nameplates etc) at which time 799 was no longer in 'royal' condition.

3. Will the model of 799 portray its various idiosyncrasies - hasn't one end got a plated-over headcode box?

Cheers

Adriab

Ok spet..

1. New catalogue numbers like a b or a c

2. It will be in the same condition as 798 the point is we would like to be able to have a matching pair.

3. Yes is the answer to that one .

Hope this helps

Cheers

San

Signing off ❤️❤️ At York ......

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully not until we get a model Terrier up to modern standards. Preferably from Hornby or Bachmann.

The Dapol/Hornby one must be nearly 30 years old....

Edited for date. It first came out in 1988.

Jason

I certainly think a model in the range of what has been done so far would have to be all new tooling. The only existing model that might get away with it would be Dapol's O gauge Terrier, but then that wouldn't be for OO as all previous Locomotion releases seem to have been.

Nice (although there should have been a 4-COR announced).

Can you confirm for which dates your "City of Truro with red frames" and "city with black frames" are going to be accurate for, THANKS.

I am delighted that the City of Truro will be re-introduced, especially with Indian Red frames.

Black-frames were introduced from 1906, but the Indian Red framed CoT can only represent the 'as preserved' condition.  The model sports a top feed, which were introduced to the class from 1911.  However, I believe that the top feed shoulders and pipes should unclip, allowing removal (though I would be grateful for confirmation of that), allowing a lined boiler band to be added in its place.  The safety valve bonnet would need to be filled. I think that it is otherwise of the correct pattern, but perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.

A more drastic change would be to shorten the smokebox.  According to RCTS, these were extended just prior to superheating, which took place in 1910-1912, so I would assume that the longer smokebox would not have been seen in conjunction with Indian Red frames.

It strikes me that, with care, these changes could be made without harm to the green and Indian Red areas of the locomotive. 

I have not checked other details, but 3440 was not one of those originally fitted with a cast chimney, so I am assuming the copper-capped variety on the model is fine for the early condition of this loco, but perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.   

Guest spet0114

I am delighted that the City of Truro will be re-introduced, especially with Indian Red frames.

Black-frames were introduced from 1906, but the Indian Red framed CoT can only represent the 'as preserved' condition.  The model sports a top feed, which were introduced to the class from 1911.  However, I believe that the top feed shoulders and pipes should unclip, allowing removal (though I would be grateful for confirmation of that), allowing a lined boiler band to be added in its place.  The safety valve bonnet would need to be filled. I think that it is otherwise of the correct pattern, but perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.

A more drastic change would be to shorten the smokebox.  According to RCTS, these were extended just prior to superheating, which took place in 1910-1912, so I would assume that the longer smokebox would not have been seen in conjunction with Indian Red frames.

It strikes me that, with care, these changes could be made without harm to the green and Indian Red areas of the locomotive. 

I have not checked other details, but 3440 was not one of those originally fitted with a cast chimney, so I am assuming the copper-capped variety on the model is fine for the early condition of this loco, but perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.

When were the unsymmetrical frame reinforcements added? This would surely limit the scope for back-dating?

When were the unsymmetrical frame reinforcements added? This would surely limit the scope for back-dating?

Good point!

That would be a real b*gger to fix. 

I'll see if I can find the date.

And, of course, the more you look, the more detail differences you notice.  Ah well, more money saved!

post-25673-0-77200800-1492506765_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-59153500-1492506772_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian

BEWARE of using Swindon 'official' photographs. As you can see the city name and number have been added from another negative.

I need to check but I recall that image is based on an Atbara rebuild, not a bespoke city build. Note the fluted rods. The model is correct!

As for the strengthening plates, there were random and it will be difficult to find two the same. Note on the Bachmann/NRM/Locomotion models the left and right hand side are different....as the full size 3440.

Mike Wiltshire

Its sad that there are redundancies happening at Shildon with Sandra going. There was another member of staff there as part of the team, is he still staying or is he likely to be going. Sounds like two jobs to become one with cost savings the implication there.

I do think that the Locomotion models: The National Collection in Minature is a massive strength for the brand of the NRM, unless its not actually bringing in as much money/profit as hoped and as a result they want to either slim the operation down to make it more cost effective, or effectively sub contract the work out to other outlets, which I suspect is less likely.

• RMweb Gold

BEWARE of using Swindon 'official' photographs. As you can see the city name and number have been added from another negative.

I need to check but I recall that image is based on an Atbara rebuild, not a bespoke city build. Note the fluted rods. The model is correct!

As for the strengthening plates, there were random and it will be difficult to find two the same. Note on the Bachmann/NRM/Locomotion models the left and right hand side are different....as the full size 3440.

Mike Wiltshire

The rods are not necessarily a guide even for those built as 'Cities' - for example 3711 was photographed (probably 1920s) with fluted rods so possibly rods were swopped during works visits at some time.  The frames do however tell the story and the picture posted by 'Edwardian' is not a genuine 'City' and definitely isn't 3433 (although could it be a rebuilt 'Atbara' if the frames weren't altered on rebuilding?).  Rather amusingly the same image was used in the 1911 GWR 'Names of Engines' booklet but in that case it appeared as 3434  'City of Birmingham' and I wonder, from certain details, if the original photo might have been of 3405 'Mauritius' after conversion as the prototype for the 'Cities'? 

Incidentally the 1928 edition of 'Great Western Railway Engines' includes a genuine image of a 'City' in photograhic grey and it looks to be the actual 3715 with proper 'City' frames and a top feed superheated boiler so the photo was probably contemporaneous with the preparation of the booklet.  Although the picture is small it looks as if the coupling rod might be fluted.