Gee Dee Models for sale

EE 8SVT

Never been into GeeDees but I did have a very helpful member of staff offer to meet me out of hours with goods which I wanted to buy, I was really struggling for time on the specific day so rang for opening times and he offered to bring it home with him and I paid him on his front door step!

Must get across!

Edited by srihaggis

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Used to shop there regularly when I lived in Corby; always a friendly, informed, and helpful group of staff.  Went in there last September as I happened to be in Nottingham for the first time in six years - the great bit was that nothing had changed!

Hoping that the two gentlemen have a good retirement.  Hope someone can pick up the business, too, as a going concern.

Regards and best wishes.

Alex.

Outstanding model shop and I spent many a happy hour in there so a big thank you for the service they gave to me and everyone else over the years. Hope they can sell it on as a going concern in this super highway online age I still think there's a place for shops like these which is why even though I no longer live in Nottingham I make a point of putting as much trade through my local model shop (Parrs of Lowestoft) as I can

we have seen far to many good model shops close down partly due to the internet and partly due to those who either own or run the shop retiring. Most big towns used to have several shops you could visit, now you are lucky to find one. I really hope a buyer can be found, and wish the current owners a long and happy retirement.

• RMweb Premium

Hope that Gee Dee can be sold on as a business and continue. But the omens are less promising, Railway Barter Shop in Long Eaton closed in 2015 on death of owner. Selectadisc, renowned Nottingham record dealer, closed a few years ago. Rents and business rates in Hockley are high. Vape shops are spreading like a contagion.

It's a very good shop for plastic kits, die cast models, radio controlled large scale as well as trains. Sherwood is a bit naff by comparison.

Dava

Hope that Gee Dee can be sold on as a business and continue. But the omens are less promising, Railway Barter Shop in Long Eaton closed in 2015 on death of owner. Selectadisc, renowned Nottingham record dealer, closed a few years ago. Rents and business rates in Hockley are high. Vape shops are spreading like a contagion.

It's a very good shop for plastic kits, die cast models, radio controlled large scale as well as trains. Sherwood is a bit naff by comparison.

Dava

Nottingham is not, in my opinion, very friendly towards small businesses. I think Mr Grain may well own the premises so could perhaps set a preferential rent if he's keeping the building? It's often the rates that are the killer though, my old shop about 8 miles out had that problem, rates over twice the rent.

• RMweb Gold

When i worked for central trains u used to go in there at least once a week and whenever i have time in Nottingham i make a visit.

As said above an excellent shop, also as said there aren't too many city centre model shops two that do come to mind are monkbar in York and the one in Carlisle both i visit when in those cities

Not been in for a couple of years, SWMBO prefers to shop in Leicester or Peterborough rather than Nottingham which was once a monthly trip. That may be symptomatic of what's wrong with Nottingham City Centre though, the variety of small shops has diminished and the Viccy and Broad Marsh ain't what they once were.

Hopefully all goes well, its over 40 years since I first became acquainted with Gee Dee and it is one of the very few all encompassing model shops left.

A fantastic shop which I visit whenever I get a chance! First went 1979 on a family holiday on the Trent from Lincoln. Can remember being surprised seeing the local Leyland National buses painted in all covering Gee Dee advertising livery! Great memories!

There was only one bus so painted but given it was normally used on the city centre circular services I suppose it could appear to the observer there were a  number. Think it coincided with them opening a second store near the Council House (City Hall for anyone not use to Nottinghamese) which Malcolm referred to at the time as "Beattie Bashing". At that time they were owned by Grains, a manufacture of  Sewing Machines who at that time had a lot of local custom due to now vanished lace industry and who built the building in which the shop is sited.Through my dads work connections I was the lucky recipient of a discount card for the model shop  :boast:  

• RMweb Gold

Only a short term problem, as vaping customers will only have a limited lifespan.

Nottingham is not, in my opinion, very friendly towards small businesses. I think Mr Grain may well own the premises so could perhaps set a preferential rent if he's keeping the building? It's often the rates that are the killer though, my old shop about 8 miles out had that problem, rates over twice the rent.

Would be interesting to see the accounts, as if the business has not had to carry current market rents or a mortgage based on current property prices then it may be a different proposition for a new owner taking on a tenancy. I would guess the building may be Mr Grain's pension fund.

Interestingly Google Maps allows you to look inside the shop. The blurb above refers to 1152sq but doesn't say feet or metres, but I'm guessing its the latter? Seems to be all the ground floor but it extends up High Cross Street, with the upper floors being offices that have 'To let' boards on. It is a nice looking shop from the photos. There will be a lot of stock to buy as well. Can the business sustain full rental and other costs is my first question.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9545438,-1.1432391,3a,75y,276.11h,95.86t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sbU-6zprwN0aBd3JiTaQ3CA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i21

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.954528,-1.143345,3a,75y,253.62h,76.5t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sauyNPpaGC4HwNuZuVrOTbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i21

I used to quite often visit Gee Dee models when I had my PNB booked at Notts. Just enough time to stroll from Midland station, have a browse and maybe a purchase or two then just enough time to get back to the station for the return working back to London St.P.

Regards

John

I don't know how any small business survives these days as there is always some greedy landlord or council leeching off the cream and half the milk as well. 

It always was a task for me to get to Gee Dee's from the Midland station but it is a lot easier for me now that the tram sets me down at the top of the hill. 

Sad to see it go, I can't see anyone taking it on ... how long would such a large outlay take to start earning its keep ?

Read the history of Gee Dee Models (pdf download) here ....

http://www.experiencenottinghamshire.com/downloads/dmsimgs/History%20of%20Gee%20Dee%20Models_1378804121.pdf

In the mid 70's to early 80's, they sponsored a Nottingham City Transport Leyland National bus in all over advertising livery. This was one of a fleet of eight consecutively registered buses adorned with all over advertising for the 77 (yellow) and 88 (orange) routes which were a FREE City Centre circular service for shoppers.

It would be nice for a commission of this bus (NTV 736M) as a momento (on an EFE Leyland National Mk1 / twin door / long pod)

post-29548-0-87644400-1492522385.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Off topic a bit but Norwich had a superb classical music shop with jazz, folk and world music as a sideline. Staff extremely knowledgeable and all musicians themselves. Closed end of March. Was one of the first customers when they set up 30 or so years ago. My point? Massive increase in rent and business rates plus dropping sales due to internet. Sound familiar??? At least we have two excellent railway model shops nearly - Great Eastern and Bure Valley Railway.

• RMweb Premium

Blimey I used to go there every time I was staying at my Aunt and Uncles in Clifton Grove, used to do Beatties at the other end of the city centre at the same time. Great range of stuff. I even managed a visit there when I was on Hastings DEMU railtour to Nottingham.

Hope in survives.

From a modelshop free zone, Brighton.

Selectadisk - now there's a blast from the past! You don't get record shops like that any more. You're right about Hockley - it's slowly changing from being full of genuine independent shops, to becoming a fake 'creative quarter' for hipsters and students. 

With a huge stock list I hate to think of the purchasing cost of this.  Even if you look over the books now and all is ok, You have to remember that rates etc will inevitably increase and profit margins will shrink.  It could work however if whoever took it on could setup a really good website too to sell online.  Most of the model railway shop websites I've seen are absolutely shocking for navigating and finding things (inc ehattons)