Is a Merlin Major to big for this little layout?

Being I am unemployed and needing to get my railway off the ground (dog is destroying it piece by piece), an affordable option was needed.  I found this over on another forum that might be the solution for a few years of use.  We have most all of the track and some of the wood already on hand.  I am thinking a four coupled engine might be better, but then again, my Merlin Major is a close 6 coupled engine.  I do need to see how he behaves thru LGB turnouts as I have heard some Merlins do not like them.  The Major is a late version if that makes any differance.  The Pearse Countess is to big IMHO for this line.  Worst case, I can rely on my Roundhouse Sammie and sell the other two to finance a RH Katie.    Mike

tb3_zpsgznqczzd.jpg

tb10_zpsudeagzca.jpg

tb56_zpsv0yewuej.jpg

• Like 6

Ah! A "micro" layout (one of my other passions)

If you've got the track, give it a try - just set up a temporary test track with a simple oval and spur with a turnout (or even a loop using two turnouts) and see how it performs.

Have you seen the "shim" trick to improve performance through LGB turnouts?

post-31575-0-10630000-1492136858.jpg

The brass strip is cut so it overlaps the length of the check rail, The extra length is simply folded around the ends of the rail to hold it in place, and the shim guides the wheelsets over onto the running rail as stock passes through.

I've got several R1 turnouts on my line and I've fitted shims to all of 'em and it's solved my running issues.

I've got the dimensions (width and thickness) of the brass strip somewhere, I'll dig it out and PM you them - there's several vendors who sell it pretty cheaply on Ebay.

There is another way (as per usual), but really only practical for rolling stock :-

post-31575-0-69599700-1492137412_thumb.jpg

I long to build the 70 foot by 55 foot W&L on the fence, but it might have to wait a few years yet.  Just the track alone make me shudder at what it will cost.   But other than 1 turnout and some wood, I have most of whats needed to get started.  Not sure I would use the foam he did, not even sure I can source that localy and would want to use it around live steam.  

That is a jolly ingenious little railway!

I think if it were mine, I'd go for very small motive power, something like an LGB feldbahn diesel, or the roundhouse little john diesel, and very small wagons. If live steam is an "essential", one of the geared oscillator locos from Regner would be ideal.

The "trick" with LGB R1 points is to use wheels with LGB profile. GRS sell their own metal wheels in 24mm (I think) and 32mm diameter, which are cut to LGB profile, and they work an absolute treat.

Kevin

PS: I just spotted where you are! Popping to GRS for a few wheels isn't really on, is it? Sorry!

Edited by Nearholmer

You might have trouble with a Katie as well .She has a long overhang at the rear

29950473043_ac8048ed68_z.jpgIMG_0826 by phil, on Flickr

Although she will navigate 2ft curves been known to derail dragging stock around them          phil    

Edited by 77philg

Most of my rolling stock is LGB, so no worries about the wheel profile.  Only the steamer.  I forgot about adding the brass shim to the check rails to aid the Merlin drivers getting thru the turnouts.   I once had a RH Billy that had a LGB loops on it and I do not remember any problems going thru their R1 track at all.  Hendey doesn't have the rear overhang like Lady Anne does, I will try him on my outdoor line, haven't done that since I got him(shame on me!).   He is very close coupled, and I know will go around R1 curves ok as I ran him on my overhead indoor line when I got him in the middle of winter time here in the states.  Size wise I think Hendey will be ok as long as I can get him thru the turnouts and pull my wagons.  All of my LGB wagons are from thier field railway series, mostly the early ones with the standard size wheel sets.  I do have one pair of the newer green side dump wagons with the little wheels in them.   Other than the two huge bogie coaches, I have a couple of LGB's 2 axle Austrian coaches I can use.  I will just keep Countess on the shelf for now, along with the long coaches, save them for steam ups and a future W&L along our back fence.  This can be a little ore hauling line that I can tinker with while funds are tight.  

I am going to go with a logging/mining theme using my Super Sammie as the motive power.  If all goes well, the Countess and Merlin will be for sale to finance a second Super Sammie so I can have a pair of them to run. I have 3 of the LGB green logging cars and I may borrow my friends LGB disconnect car set as well, they would fit better.  I also have 2 LGB tippers and one Hartland Tipper car along with a few other field railway cars.  Those and a small four coupled engine is the perfect combination in my opinion.