Right tankers for my layout

I am in long term planing to build a model of Rowfant in Sussex during the 50's 60's. At this time Shell/BP supplied the oil depot. The tankers where the kind that where emptyed from the top. Are there any suitable RTR or Kit tankers available to suit in 4mm.

Keith HC

Thanks Brian W that gets me started.

Hi Steve, there are just a few pictures but not close enough to identify. There is also a picture in the Middleton Press book East Croydon to Three Bridges of a distant side view of a tanker train going south through Salfords in the late fifties. Steam hauled by an LB&SCR K class. Now that would make a good prototype.

Keith HC

Keith,

It would seem that Bachmann did do a 3-wagon pack of Shell-Mex- BP tanks:-

http://www.hattons.co.uk/75447/Bachmann_Branchline_33_525_LN_4886_4417_Black_Grey_Silver_Set_of_Three_Tank_Traffic_Classic_Shell_Mex_BP_1/StockDetail.aspx

Only the black fuel-oil one is currently listed. The ladders on the Class A ones put them in the post WW2 era; prior to that, the people unloading the tank would simply lean a ladder against the tank to insert the siphon tube. Volume 2 of 'Non-Pool Freight Stock, 1948-68' by David Larkin has quite a lot of photos of the Shell-Mex-BP fleet.

• RMweb Premium

A book with a lot of information on tankers is "Oil on the rails" published by the HMRS, currently reduced to £6 plus p&p. And there is another book by Tourret: "Petroleum tank wagons of Britain (Tourret Publishing, £33.

David Geen does two kits for 14 T tank wagons. His kits normally go together very easily.

Jonathan

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2017 at 20:04, steve1 said:

Do you have any pictures of the prototype? It might help in identifying the right type.

@KeithHC, having grown-up in Crawley Down, Rowfant (and Grange Road) are of interest to me and saved this topic for future reference...

Purchased today from Bluebell Railway Carriage Shop, Horsted Keynes, was a book titled 'SOUTHERN REGION MEMORIES' PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE BLUEBELL MUSEUM ARCHIVE (ISBN 978-1-906419-48-6) - in it is a picture taken Jun'52 of E4 Class No 32484 and Q Class No 30546 leading oil tank wagons at Rowfant for Norwood Junction (from the Government Oil Store).  Focus is on the locomotives, but it's the first time I've seen tank wagons pictured.

The book was £6.50, my sole reason for purchase!

51 minutes ago, jafcreasey said:

@KeithHC, having grown-up in Crawley Down, Rowfant (and Grange Road) are of interest to me and saved this topic for future reference...

Purchased today from Bluebell Railway Carriage Shop, Horsted Keynes, was a book titled 'SOUTHERN REGION MEMORIES' PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE BLUEBELL MUSEUM ARCHIVE (ISBN 978-1-906419-48-6) - in it is a picture taken Jun'52 of E4 Class No 32484 and Q Class No 30546 leading oil tank wagons at Rowfant for Norwood Junction (from the Government Oil Store).  Focus is on the locomotives, but it's the first time I've seen tank wagons pictured.

The book was £6.50, my sole reason for purchase!

Thanks for the info yet another book for the wish list. I have also been investigating the offloading equipment as well. I am slowly(very) learning 3D to be able to produce the equipment. I have been told that the trains originated from Shell Haven via riddles lane. In later years in the hands of class 37 and possibly a class 31. I have also seen letters from Shell asking for Rowfant to be kept open with the branch operating as a siding from Three Bridges. This was eventually turned down as it would have required closing the compasses corner level crossing before the train left TB in the hands of an 08! I think the plan was to creT a run round before the level crossing at Rowfant and change discharge to bottom feed. Might make an interest might have been.

Keith

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 months later...

Also, have you found any information about the fuel sidings, which on one of the Ian D Nolan photos seem to be two roads either side of the derricks.  I have no found an etched brass source for the fencing around the fuel sidings.  

Edited by Keepingtouch
Correct a typo

On 31/07/2021 at 15:58, KeithHC said:

Thanks for the info yet another book for the wish list. I have also been investigating the offloading equipment as well. I am slowly(very) learning 3D to be able to produce the equipment. I have been told that the trains originated from Shell Haven via riddles lane. In later years in the hands of class 37 and possibly a class 31. I have also seen letters from Shell asking for Rowfant to be kept open with the branch operating as a siding from Three Bridges. This was eventually turned down as it would have required closing the compasses corner level crossing before the train left TB in the hands of an 08! I think the plan was to creT a run round before the level crossing at Rowfant and change discharge to bottom feed. Might make an interest might have been.

Keith

Keith, I am  also wanting to built a model of Rowfant, but from the very early 1960s.  Ian White sent me bit map images of the original drawings of the two station buildings, which I still have.  I also have sets of the Backmann tankers that have been referred to in the postings in response to your questions.  I also have a cardboard kit for the station house and of the signal box at Isfield, which is similar to Rowfant.  As a teenager I used to visit Rowfant often and once had tea in the signal box.  Have you seen the 1963 photos on Flickr by Ian D Nolan?   Have you managed to find any information about the saw mill with the Scotch Derrick? 

On 31/07/2021 at 15:58, KeithHC said:

Keith

Also, have you found any information about the fuel sidings, which on one of the Ian D Nolan photos seem to be two roads either side of the derricks.  I have no found an etched brass source for the fencing around the fuel sidings.  

On 14/04/2017 at 19:53, KeithHC said:

I am in long term planing to build a model of Rowfant in Sussex during the 50's 60's. At this time Shell/BP supplied the oil depot. The tankers where the kind that where emptyed from the top. Are there any suitable RTR or Kit tankers available to suit in 4mm.

Keith HC

See https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234288243679?epid=1944732013&hash=item368caae3df:g:TWwAAOSwz89hepbS