What's this goods wagon at Glenfinnan station ?

MartinF

You may be wronger than you might think!, not that I'm suggesting this is one of them, but there were some apex roof ventilated vans, haven't got access to my library to check though.

Mike.

There is certainly a van built to a similar diagram with a much taller apex at Southwold Harbour. I'll try to dig a photo out of it

If anyone cares, it was built as part of lot 3398 by Pressed Steel in 1961/2 to diagram 1/224, in what seems to be the very last batch of 'traditional' 12t vans.    Diagram 224 (rather than 208 or 213) might have been allocated due to the improved Oleo buffers fitted from new?   The present roof is most certainly not original!

Bill

You may be wronger than you might think!, not that I'm suggesting this is one of them, but there were some apex roof ventilated vans, haven't got access to my library to check though.

Mike.

I honestly have always liked Vans with apex roofs. I have no clue why but I'd love to see some more examples that aren't just Salt Vans. 

Terrible shame that Trucks, Coaches and vans loose their wheels at times. But at least this one looks to keep her frames. Hmm that brings up a odd question. 

I would assume that this van was a 4 wheeled one with the common design most Trucks would use. If that is the case how hard is it to locate a donor pair (I say pair I mean two sets of wheels.) if one were to try to restore her? Are old sets still viable if in good condition or would it be best to just machine new ones?

I honestly have always liked Vans with apex roofs. I have no clue why but I'd love to see some more examples that aren't just Salt Vans. 

Terrible shame that Trucks, Coaches and vans loose their wheels at times. But at least this one looks to keep her frames. Hmm that brings up a odd question. 

I would assume that this van was a 4 wheeled one with the common design most Trucks would use. If that is the case how hard is it to locate a donor pair (I say pair I mean two sets of wheels.) if one were to try to restore her? Are old sets still viable if in good condition or would it be best to just machine new ones?

Don't forget its not just wheels its W irons. axle boxes, springs and brake gear you would have to make so your best bet would be a less rare standard donor van made of wood, it would be worth checking round the preserved railways as they might have one with a rotten body that this could be grafted onto if it was rare enough to warrant it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...