SD40-2 goodness - three of them working hard

CraigZ

That characteristic EMD howl can be heard as Norfolk Southern train P61, a local, is working hard climbing out of the Yadkin River valley at Spencer, North Carolina.  The train just left the large NS yard at Linwood, NC.  Video shot by a friend of mine on 15 April

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7rXu1JFEH6jWTUwSHJ2LXBLRzA/view

Now if they were just high nosed SD40-2s... :)

• Like 12

That does sound wonderful...the horn, not so much though :)  But that distinct V16-645 rhythm is there in its glory. 

The SD45 and SD45-2 sounded, to my ear, even better...their 20 cylinder engines had a very distinct cadence that was clear over the howl of the turbocharger...living in SCL land I heard them regularly. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow...? they're working hard ! I love sd40s...look superb and sound animal on 8.

There's a cracking clip of 3 of them opening up on YouTube, sorry can't seem to do the link on my tablet , but if you type in "sd40 portage " it should come up , it's two CP and one lease ....if you watch it put your headphones on and turn up the volume....

• RMweb Gold

Is it me, or is each of them on different trucks? The leading unit, 3346, appears to be on Flexicoils, while the other two have HTC (?) trucks, but the middle one has three brake cylinders, the rear unit only two. 

• RMweb Gold

Is it me, or is each of them on different trucks? The leading unit, 3346, appears to be on Flexicoils, while the other two have HTC (?) trucks, but the middle one has three brake cylinders, the rear unit only two. 

All Conrail SD40-2s had flexicoils from new. I'm guessing being NS that it is a former Conrail unit. 

All Conrail SD40-2s had flexicoils from new. I'm guessing being NS that it is a former Conrail unit. 

Correct...NS 3346 is ex Conrail 6387; NS 6123 is ex N&W 6123 with the iconic N&W triple clasp brakes; NS 3261 is ex Southern 3261, rebuilt/defaced with a low nose.

Me, I like my SD40-2s looking like this :) :

post-751-0-54758500-1495287232_thumb.jpg

My photo in Raleigh, NC in 1985...

• Like 3