CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

is the rail paint 'rusty rails' ?

I've tried humbrol chocolate lately but I'm not happy with it

I suppose Humbrol Chocolate tastes a bit "painty"?

We have found some nice chocolate from Aldi! "Racer" bars...the Aldi version of Marathon....what on earth is a "Snickers" anyway! ;)

The bridge and everything looks well.....liking it a lot!

Especially the 64XX.

Bachmann's 6419 Weathered version looks good....very sooty, including wiped clean windows! A pitty it is lined green with Late Crest....too late for Ffrwd Locks...

post-12119-0-36095700-1500663339_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-29054600-1500663383_thumb.jpg

Working on a GWR livery version here....but no sound I'm afraid....

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 7

The sound of that is incredible. I'm a dc man myself but toy with the idea of converting daily. Videos like this really make me think hard.

I've often been put off by a sort of tinny mono sound to some, but that could well be one of the best if not the best I've yet heard. Adds a whole new dimension to your growing representation of Carrog. Superb thanks for sharing.

John

Larry,

As one would expect from you a really lovely mixture of coaching stock, particularly liked the odd maroon vehicle in the middle of the rake.

Please keep the videos coming,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a very well set up sound decoder- nicely driven too.  Any idea what the source loco was though - the exhaust sounds a bit more midland region for some reason!

The regulator closed coasting is impressive, many folk don't bother to get this right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When i purchased the decoder from Digitrains a couple of years ago, it was labelled GWR 2-cyl locos. There is the spitting vac pump on it and this is controlled by the clanking rods CV.  Coasting, quieter exhaust and full starting exhaust are controlled by around six or more different CV's (I'm indoors but the file I have written isn't).  The current equivalent decoder carries a much better and deeper exhaust note and is labelled GWR Hall.  I hope to compare the new one with with the older one once it arrives and is installed in a second GWR 'Grange'.

Everything is there on more recent soundfiles (I have standardized on Zimo decoders), but it all needs accessing and setting to suit ones own idea of how a steam locomotive works. The various exhausts and coasting work by turning the speed control knob, so it is like opening and closing the regulator one notch to activate the sounds one wants. I use only four F-Keys and things have been switched around so that these keys carry two loco whistles and a guards whistle, or three different loco whistles if it is a freight loco.

I heard the vac pump, 'so' GWR, but though the exhaust sounded a bit...errrr...4F!  One beat has an odd sound, maybe a valve exam is overdue! The 'square block' GW exhaust wasn't quite there, but the controllability of the sounds you have programmed is superb.  I haven't heard a better steam chip.

Thanks Khris and Brassey. Even my pals are surprised I have stuck with it. The 'intermediete stages' like ripping up Code 83 points, relaying cork and new Code 75 points & motors was carried out on the quiet!  In short, this layout takes three steps forward and one step back every now and again because of some niggling feature. But overall, I agree it is getting somewhere.

I tend to bounce ideas off friend PGH, although they always end up in the long grass when he points out I would be moving away from 'Carrog'. Right from the very beginning i really wanted the goods yard at the front of the layout on the Down side. Reason? In 0 gauge it allowed me to uncouple the 3-links, but of course this layout barely got off the ground before i went back to 4mm/00.

Nevertheless the the idea remains in my head, which is one reason for the delay in developing the Down side. I would prefer a long coal road and ideally a small good shed rather than the half-hearted goods facilites that the real Carrog had to offer. Seeing as the major junction station at Corwen was only 2 miles distant, it is probably that most of Carrogs good traffic went there anyway after World War One and was lorried into the village.

Coach, I guess it is the sound that makes the stopping and starting of trains so realistic and disciplined; it must require superb driving to achieve that.  That alone would be sufficient for me without anymore facilities at the station.  However, I do keep looking at the big bare piece of baseboard in front and wondering...

• Like 1

Just an evil thought...

Suppose the GWR [was] wanted to acquire the Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen, and LNWR management dropped the ball, and as a result the junction was set at Carrog rather than Corwen, with a long run in on parallel single tracks. The curve of the line coming into Corwen from Denbigh suggests this as a possibility.

Or perhaps the Denbigh company wanted access to the slate wharf west of Carrog, and preferred to build with a junction at Carrog.

Either way, Carrog could become a junction, with a service from Rhyl working in, and whatever interchange facilities you wanted. You already have 2 lines coming in under the bridge, so they could be your twin single lines, and you could run them all the way around to your fiddle yard, so you wouldn't need any change at that end. You couldn't provide a bay platform then for the Denbigh / Rhul service to terminate, but you could run it through and build a siding for it at the east end of the station. That would work as a prototypical arrangement on this side of the Irish Sea, but the GWR was a proper railway and might have frowned on the arrangement.

But then, of course, it would no longer be Carrog, and you'd have to scrap it all, so let's pretend I never even mentioned it.

Alan

[Edited for poor editing. Sorry.]

Edited by islandbridgejct
  • Like 2

Coach, just a thought if I may: you could really do with a BR Std. 4 4-6-0. Not as pretty a locomotive as a 'Manor' (is anything?), but for a Standard, still very attractive. Hornby's version is, in my opinion, an excellent representation and a good runner.

Love the layout, by the way - it's fast becoming a classic.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Coach, just a thought if I may: you could really do with a BR Std. 4 4-6-0. Not as pretty a locomotive as a 'Manor' (is anything?), but for a Standard, still very attractive. Hornby's version is, in my opinion, an excellent representation and a good runner.

I have one and it is the Hornby version.... DCC friendly, smooth running chassis and it captures the lines of these engines to a tee. It is in the queue awaiting a sound decoder. 75006 was one of the batch that went to Oswestry around 1953...

post-6680-0-86608500-1500837568_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Larry = Two Screws either side of the coupling at the rear, Ease upwards and pull back from front fixing lug, Like all Hornby DCC Ready, it should be an 8 pin.

Hope that helps

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

You could have walked there and back in that time...

Completely off topic - many, many years ago I was stood on the yacht club slipway in the harbour at Rhyl, watching three ribs with big engines arriving. When asked where they'd come from, the reply was "Liverpool".  When asked how long it took them, "about 15minutes...". This was before the A55 expressway, so by road to Liverpool was the best part of 2 hours..

• Like 2

Very close on three weeks since I ordered Peco points and Kaydee couplings from 'H' of Liverpool and the parcel still hasn't arrived. If Yodel works in your area, you're fortunate. 

Bloody hell Coach.

It only takes Hattons a week from there to Melb, Aust!!!

Khris

Talking of BR Std. Class 4 4-6-0's, I appear to have mislaid the box with instructions. So I wonder if anyone can tell me which screws to remove in order to get into the tender. My immediate need is to know how many pin the DCC plug is.

I must be losing the plot. I could have sworn I read a post saying you no longer needed one of these and that the loco was for sale. Can't see it now, though.

I was rather surprised as I thought these locos were the mainstay of passenger services on the line in its later days. Perhaps you're setting your model before that period?

Dave.

(It's not too late to revert to Greenfield!)