CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I have seen many a layout based on a prototype where it seemed acceptable to leave tracks off through space shortage or build a convenient curve where the prototype had a straight line.  

A good example of that is Chris Lamacraft's rendition of Ashburton where he added a "Slip" to help with Shunting the layout.

I know you live quite close to Liverpool, but just so you know, two parcels were sent from the UK to southern France weeks ago.  One has never arrived but I have arranged to pick up replacements at Telford on September 2nd.  The other arrived yesterday from a well known company, using Royal Mail/La Poste.  It was mailed on June 30th.  It did arrive but unfortunately the replacement coach lighting strip is for the wrong coach.  I don't think it fair to names names so I won't.  These things can happen to anybody and if they do, I will probably be the victim!

Larry - not surprised you have done this.

Our two projects are remarkably similar, we have both chosen a branchline setting, I have chosen Arley in O gauge, but think of it slightly differently - it is a series of dioramas interlinked.

Arley station - Diesel shed, shunting area with goods shed, Victoria Bridge and a steam shed with turntable, not shown on the control panel, so lots to keep you happy depending on whether you want to run trains, shunt or move locos around.

If you can drop a camera down on the track and it looks like Carrog from that view then it is a complete success, then by turning the camera round you get a completely different view.

post-3421-0-85919800-1500936608_thumb.jpg

post-3421-0-04760200-1500937224_thumb.jpg

Here is some video from 1960s weekend at Carrog.

And some links to pics

https://flic.kr/p/WNABKn

https://flic.kr/p/WMHvTz

https://flic.kr/p/WVVNgs

https://flic.kr/p/WVVdGd

https://flic.kr/p/VHhsw9

Edited by Cliff Williams
  • Like 11

Any model of a real location can be changed....after all, all models are just a representation!

As many "might have been" layouts have stations that never existed (Coukd have existed) on railway lines that never existed (Coukd have existed), why not have a "might have been" on a Railway line that did exist, but was built slightly differently in "this reality"....

Ffrwd Locks....Ffrwd exists, the locks were never built (But part of the canal was...). The railways existed, GWR and WM&CR (GCR - LNER).

All I have done is extend passenger services from Moss Crossing up the valley to Ffrwd, Re-aligned the LNWR / GWR Joint line from Coed Talon to run to Ffrwd instead of Brymbo (in the next valley...). Build the canal to Coed Talon reservoir via the Ffrwd Locks. Re-align the WM&CQR line, which was actually built over and through the canal(!) alongside the canal. Re-align the GWR branch to Ffrwd Ironworks to run the other way from the Moss Valley line, so trains to the Ironworks need to reverse at Ffrwd Locks Station.

The WM&CQR and GWR lines both served Ffrwd Ironworks, so a connexion must have been possible....in my case the two routes meet, and the works is served by a joint line across the canal (A lifing or swing bridge (Like at Oxford LMS) is a possibility, or the line would have to climb over the canal...)

So, a larger goods yard at Carrog..... No sweat! ;)

• Like 1

Almost as good as being there!

Love the seagulls....

It has been a while since we have been there....usually go to Kinmel Bay, by the Asda, when we have a day by the sea...though we have gone onto the beach at Pensarn as well.

It would be interesting to work the 'box....nice in the sun, but a westerly storm?

And now for a brief sound of steam; A Royal Scot passing Abergele with the return Blaenau Ffestiniog ~ Preston 20 minutes ago....

Passed by my house at 20:40, about 7 minutes late & really thrashing up Boars Head bank just north of Wigan - wonderfull sound !!

Brit15

• Like 2

There's not a great deal of Cynwyd station left now Larry I park my wagon there right across the platform and through the waiting room ..whats left of the goods shed houses a large fuel tank and re-fueling point the weigh bridge building is still there all but a crumbling shell .......best of luck ......I like your style excellent idea  :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

I know less than b*gg*r all about block regulations so am curious to know what the breach was :yes: :yes:

Larry - lovely stuff please keep it coming!

Many thanks,

Dave

Sorry for the delayed reply Dave - I have been on my hols enjoying a week afloat on the English Channel and some associated close coastal waters.

Anyway the situation is all a matter of separation.  Larry's rather tasty video implies the proper job engine was waiting at the Home Signal, or approaching it, while the interloper from the railway that painted its engines pink was standing on the loop and shunting from it into the siding.

In reality the Electric Token Block Regulations required the line to be clear as far as the Starting Signal in order to accept a train.  Therefore as the freight was standing there the passenger train couldn't legitimately be accepted and would in fact have had to come through the block section at warp speed in order to be at the Home Signal by the time the freight had been shunted clear.  So if the signalman had accepted the passenger with the freight standing there it would have been a serious breach of the Block Regulations - hence the Form 1 (that form being the first part of the formal disciplinary process).

WOT THE..........

Two miles east of Corwen lay Carrog and it lacked a decent yard........Booooring!  

Two miles west of Corwen lay Cynwyd and it had a goods shed and loop......Far more interesting!

Half an hours work produced an area of flat ground east of the station ready for development. An off-cut of marine ply was cut to shape and let into the embankment. It remains Carrog. but one could say the goods facilities were upgraded in the 1890's.  They will barely impact on the rural nature of the area, as it is merely an extension of the existing yard.

Should anyone consider it is no longer Carrog, then fine. Shunting will be more interesting though.  I have seen many a layout based on a prototype where it seemed acceptable to leave tracks off through space shortage or build a convenient curve where the prototype had a straight line.  

attachicon.gifWEB Goods shed 2.jpg

Corwen had a complex series of goods sidings but Cynwyd had a simpler but interesting asymmetrical passing loop with two headshunts one leading to a cattle dock and a bay platform behind the station building...

post-23130-0-15962500-1501240462_thumb.jpg

post-23130-0-22420100-1501240571_thumb.jpg

post-23130-0-59951600-1501240649_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Larry

Have you considered using real wood ash, suitably weathered to the colour you want.  I have not tried this but I have heard from others who have.

I like the changes you are making.  I am also thinking of putting in the two sidings that were originally in place at Penmaenpool rather than the one that was in use in the late 1950s.

Best wishes, Paul

• Like 1

WOT THE..........

Two miles east of Corwen lay Carrog and it lacked a decent yard........Booooring!  

Two miles west of Corwen lay Cynwyd and it had a goods shed and loop......Far more interesting!

Half an hours work produced an area of flat ground east of the station ready for development. An off-cut of marine ply was cut to shape and let into the embankment. It remains Carrog. but one could say the goods facilities were upgraded in the 1890's.  They will barely impact on the rural nature of the area, as it is merely an extension of the existing yard.

Should anyone consider it is no longer Carrog, then fine. Shunting will be more interesting though.  I have seen many a layout based on a prototype where it seemed acceptable to leave tracks off through space shortage or build a convenient curve where the prototype had a straight line.  

attachicon.gifWEB Goods shed 2.jpg

I don't mind it not being Carrog. I only mind when you decide to rip it up because it's no longer Carrog. And of course, it's mind over matter time: what I mind doesn't matter. I think a goods yard is an excellent idea and a junction would be even better.

I think I'm going to give myself a pat on the back for figuring out what the breach of regulations was, though.

Have fun with the modifications.

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Larry,

Try these people - Attwood Aggregates.

They don't have a website (that I can find) but info is available here :

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4951&sid=a142e7efc73be3a4c9e3902b04349cc8

Stu

Attwood Aggregates only do shows, they are based in Tavistock Devon. Their next show is at RailWells in a couple of weeks time. They find that mail order is a bit prohibitive due to the the weight of the real stone that they sell. Edited by Siberian Snooper

Attwood Aggregates only do shows, they are based in Tavistock Devon. Their next show is at RailWells in a couple of weeks time. They find that mail order is a bit prohibitive due to the the weight of the real stone that they sell.

FYI

Atwood Aggregates will be one of the traders at the Barnstaple Model Railway Exhibition tomorrow if anyone wishes to see their products or enquire about specific products. No connection etc.

Edited by bgman

The running line not being parallel to the goods shed is probably as a result of altering the layout in readiness for the installation of a passing loop. Land was bought but in the end the loop wasn't added.

I am currently preparing points, motors and current-switchers for the extended goods yard, in fact everything required to complete the task is now to hand. I will be making a much smaller goods shed than the rather overpowering one at Cynwyd, as I want it to look more distant.

Ground cover is a problem I'm working on, as I have been looking for an alternative to real ash.  It needs to be dark grey-ish and as fine as sand. I am experimenting with something from Woodland Scenics....

attachicon.gifWEB Ash 1.jpg

Right colour, but it won't file down to fine dust. If only Woodland Scenics could crush this much smaller, it would be great for goods yards and trackside cess....

attachicon.gifWEB ash 2.jpg

You must know somebody with a coal fire in North Wales ????????? aah hang on you live in civilised North Wales where you have mains gas etc, I know that Jinty knows somebody who lives in Gwynedd that is still in the dark ages with coal fires  :toclue:

Best regards

Craig.

You must know somebody with a coal fire in North Wales ????????? aah hang on you live in civilised North Wales where you have mains gas etc, I know that Jinty knows somebody who lives in Gwynedd that is still in the dark ages with coal fires  :toclue:

Best regards

Craig.

Yes, Trains12, he is certainly 'off grid'!!

We must arrange to visit soon Craig..............................

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't mind it not being Carrog. I only mind when you decide to rip it up because it's no longer Carrog. And of course, it's mind over matter time: what I mind doesn't matter. I think a goods yard is an excellent idea and a junction would be even better.

I think I'm going to give myself a pat on the back for figuring out what the breach of regulations was, though.

Have fun with the modifications.

Alan

"The triumph of mind over matter! What is mind? No matter! What is matter? Never mind!" - Frankie Howerd, Carry on Doctor! (1967).

• Like 2

The last time we visited Carrog there was a coal fire in the café fireplace.  You might call that the "real thing".  I don't suppose they light the fire in August but hearing the wether forecast on Radio 4 this morning it is certainly possible.