CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

The author lived on the Dovey Junction - Aberystwyth line so many of his recollections were from the Cambrian line from Welshpool. However, he lists the following foreigners:

Standard Class 5 worked an UP goods out of Aberystwyth.

Stanier 8F at Moat Lane on demolition train

Wainwright 4-4-0 and LSWR T9 both on narrow gauge specials.

Ex LMS 0-6-0s were allowed to run from Afon Wen to Dovey Junction, but he never saw one.

Large prairies were seen between Aberystwyth and Dovey Junction.

Photos of the L&YR 2-4-2T show it had the original round boiler but the bunker size is not clear. It approached Abserdovey from Dovey Junction so did not pass through Carrog. It piloted a Dukedog.

And there in lies another tale from Telford. Pete Waterman showed me the prototype of the new Dukedog. Unpainted it looked really really good. Of course it would be too big for Carrog being 7mm scale but I might get one sometime in 2018. The loco comes as a kit but it is really a basic body with brass detailing castings, etc. i am not sure what the material used for the body and tender might be but it is apparently expensive to produce. But the Bachmann Dukedog is a nice model. . . . . .

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I knew the shed length but couldn't find the width of the tapered end. I do feel the space kept between baseboard edge and down platform adds to the setting and although the yard may be cramped, bringing everything forward might detract from the staged effect. Besides which, the hole in the wall is fixed!

Looks as though some timber cutting has been done in that last photo. How far apart is the time period?!

I never know if people are pulling my leg! But to give a serious answer, the picture of the prototype was taken some 10-12 years ago and the picture of the model this morning. Or put another way, the real train has a real backscene and my model has an ID Backscene which was photographed I know not where. I chose it because it resembled Carrog.   :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

I never know if people are pulling my leg! But to give a serious answer, the picture of the prototype was taken some 10-12 years ago and the picture of the model this morning. Or put another way, the real train has a real backscene and my model has an ID Backscene which was photographed I know not where. I chose it because it resembled Carrog.   :biggrin_mini2:

John from ID told me that the Hills and Dales was photographed in Strathmore  - the closed CR  route to Aberdeen - and if you look at the foreground in some of the sheets the outline of a not so permament way can be made out. Wherever, it is a most versatile  product that seems to fit with very varied locations without giving that "Superquick" feel.

Trees or No Trees on the Backscene, it matters not a jot in my book, it's a good representation of the Hills above the Tracks out of Carrog, and looks superb, ESPECIALLY in that last shot Larry.

Just stunning works.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, it was meant to be a compliment, that has back-fired into a leg-pull. I had the same ID back scene doubling as the Peak District

• Like 1

The boring bit.....The entrance path to the down platform. The first job was translating measurements and marking them in pencil on the platform. That sorted, a piece of plywood was cut roughly to shape so it could be trimmed to size afterwards. It follows my usual approach of making solidly constructed innards. The fascia board was then marked out and trimmed back to the new profile....

post-6680-0-92145000-1504546783.jpg

Only a small part of it will form a path; the rest being hedges and field.

post-6680-0-20842900-1504546785.jpg

Neat PVA was used to fill gaps and act as a stopper where the path will be....

post-6680-0-31396700-1504546786.jpg

• Like 13

This afternoon was no exception to the norm and I started out converting inches and feet to millimeters then reading off the wrong side of the ruler when marking out.....Eeeekkk, it will never work!  Then after 10 minutes my mind slipped into gear and I could see the finished path in my minds eye even before the clever-saw was plugged in.  So tomorrow will be straightforward.

The Down waiting shelter will be even more boring ....  I must Google for a Ready-to-Plonk this evening(!) .....Then fields and fencing. By the end of the week it will be mighty hard to take ground level photos though.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I'm a bit behind on following your posts Larry, with my Dad's health deterioration and subsequent passing last week.

My modelling mojo has been at an all time low, but has just resurfaced in the past few days. 

Carrog is looking superb, and your photos very much capture the feel of the place. Must get on with my 5810 model (Not DJM after the issues with mine) using a Hornby model and etched chassis.

Best Wishes as always!