CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Hi Larry, interested to know how well the bullhead rail marries up with FB turnouts, difficult to tell from general views but it looks good on here, or have you secretly hand built some bullhead turnouts without telling us!

Hi Larry, interested to know how well the bullhead rail marries up with FB turnouts, difficult to tell from general views but it looks good on here, or have you secretly hand built some bullhead turnouts without telling us!

Peco bullhead lines up perfectly with the Streamline flat bottom code 75 track and points.  That is why I was able to do the relay in half a day from ripping up to completion. 

• Like 3

That does look good!

I do envy your shed/garden design.  I would like to emulate it somewhere but land is expensive these days.  We looked at a building plot near our French apartment in July and there was a perfect setting for a long shed and Gauge O continuous circuit like you have.  And still room for a nice house!  But the developer thought the dirt was worth a lot more than we did.  Ironically I can see the plot from my apartment but we easily declined the opportunity.  Choosing to live close to the coast is a problem, everybody wants to, despite the scaremongers who talk of sea levels rising.

• Like 1

Looks excellent Larry, I particularly like the ash cess. The layout has that well watered Welsh weather look to it! Natural pallette and gentle inclines. Easy to spot the line as Welsh GWR and the time frame without looking at the station building or rolling stock.

John

With nothing better to do while her indoors watches Corrie, I have been conjuring up images of my Hughes Fowler 'Crab' taking its place on the Llangollen line after sound has been fitted.  You can take the man out of the LMS, but you can't take the LMS out of the man....

post-6680-0-53480800-1507319300_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

We didn't see a lot of Crabs in the Midlands but they were very distinctive. I have a Bachmann OO gauge one in storage and I would be loath to part with it.  I am sure my best memory of a Crab was standing on the footbridge at the north west end of Crewe Station and seeing goods trains in the - what was it called? - smoke hole?  That doesn't sound right, I am sure it was more derogatory.

They were a sure thing on holiday Saturday excursions so plenty of excuses for North Wales there!

Ooh look, he's had a tidy....

Today, I cleaned out and vacuumed the whole shed from top to bottom, including the railway.  The fiddle yard had been covered in photographs of Carrog and bags of scenic materials, track and tools for months and only nearest track was kept open for 'traffic'. With the layout nearing completion (yay a joke), I can now see the layout and fiddle yard in their entirety....

attachicon.gifWEB Shed tidy 1.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Shed tidy 2.jpg

Now Coach,

If you want to do more MAJOR scenic work.....do it on the fiddleyard side NOT on Carrog side!   :onthequiet:

This has really come together well and looks BRILLIANT!

Khris

Now Coach,

If you want to do more MAJOR scenic work.....do it on the fiddleyard side NOT on Carrog side!   :onthequiet:

This has really come together well and looks BRILLIANT!

Khris

YES, Ellesmere BLT, just 1 ft wide in font of the Fiddle Yard with  a removable backscene for Maintenance like I've done for Much Dithering.

post-9335-0-56149200-1507364183_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Okay, thanks. Scenery at the front of the fiddle yard is not a bad idea in the right hands, but in mine I tend to loose the plot. Having had a scenic bit under the window in the past, it wont be re-visited.

I  have reached a point where I am totally at ease with Carrog. I can do little bits of scenic detail from now on and there are lots of them to add if one looks at photos of Carrog both as it was and as it is today. It looks to have had gardens for many years and at the moment I am looking for replicas of the little round top bushes. I've found flowers. 

The signalman's foot crossing has yet to be completed then the end railings can go in. Also a wooden fence around the base of the signal box steps. Signals can wait until 2018.....They're a wiring job and I'm in no mood for that at the mo. The current mood is more towards locomotives and carriages as winter night projects.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 8

I have just visited another railway modellers forum and a pop-up appeared ostensibly from BT telling me I had won an i-phone or something and to click immediately before it was given to someone else.  Oh dear........

Time for hat, coat and door methinks.  

I too have had this a couple of times...

In my case it is saying it is from my Internet Service Provider as well....Not BT...

I have gone straught to the "Back" button to get rid of this unwarrented invasion....it all sounds a bit dodgy to me!

• RMweb Gold

Okay, thanks. Scenery at the front of the fiddle yard is not a bad idea in the right hands, but in mine I tend to loose the plot. Having had a scenic bit under the window in the past, it wont be re-visited.

With your artistic eye and the quality scenic products available it should be an easy job.

With your artistic eye and the quality scenic products available it should be an easy job.

What I should have said is it could easily be a distraction.  A few years ago, I started out building  9" wide plank and a simple part of the Standedge mainline with Moorgate Halt astride it.  A short section of Saddleworth viaduct was even added although the track disappearing through a hole in the sky wasn't a success. The Delph branch, which left the mainline here was to curve around into the fiddleyard, but someone suggested i build Delph Station in front of the yard. The tail ended up wagging the dog.....It went from an LNWR moss-ridden Pennine terminus to a GWR station on the Welsh borders called Ellesmere North. This is what I meant by losing the plot. The days of filling baseboards with track are behind me.

If any changes did come about next year, a development of the existing Carrog is most likely.  I have already considered a double track line from Deeside Loop to Corwen and a supposed direct link chord with the Ruthin line to ease congestion due to a certain freight flow.  Having Up and Down trains passing through with no slowing for token exchange has its visual advantages. Of course the point layout would change to 'trailing' and a head-shunt would be necessary from the yard, but it could be done with seven points instead of the existing four or one less if a single slip is used. I dislike the latter but it would only be used by locos running round.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I'll explain it a little further. Now that the scenic side is built, I need places to rest my DCC files and booklets while setting up CV's. Room for this is provided at the right hand end of the fiddle yard. I also needed a place to store small tools and the all-important track rubber, and a small clear space where i can build things on site. This is provided on the fiddle yard board beside the doorway where the best light is. 

Carrog was never designed to be an all round the room thing full of track and scenery. I did that in the early 1960's when I had a back bedroom to play with before the children appeared. In fact, by 1964 I was so wrapped up in scratchbuilding locomotives and paint spraying that I barely looked in on the final layout before moving lock, stock & barrel, but no layout, to Wales. 

• Like 4

An almost completely wasted Sunday apart from a pleasant drive to discuss the next new carriage with the man that does my CADs 'up@farm'.   So the 'Hall' that was dismantled last night is still there on my desk.

It's a super-detailing job to begin with based on 5925 Eastcote Hall.  Afterwards the model will go through the paint shop and await a suitable sound decoder.  I'm looking at cosy indoor jobs from now on!

• Like 1

GWR 6404 propelling an auto train to Bala over the new track. Note the ash cess and the dead grass overhanging the other side of the line. An unashamed RTR pairing with a resprayed trailer and both weathered at Bont Bogbrush......  :biggrin_mini2:

attachicon.gifWEB Auto working to Bala.jpg

6404 leans to the camber with a return Wrexham bound auto working....

attachicon.gifWEB Auto train to Wrexham.jpg

Larry,

The latter picture is one of the most realistic I've seen. 

All it needs is a lamp!

In between creosoting a fence and mowing the lawns, I detailed a Railroad GWR 'Hall'. 

Additional pipework on smokebox, new dart, new chimney, removal of molding missmatch on boiler and square patch near firebox and new horizontal and vertical handrails on cabsides.....

post-6680-0-19892100-1507564320_thumb.jpg

Also replaced molded handrail with wire on Tender rear....

post-6680-0-19184000-1507564322.jpg

List of parts below. CM685 is the brass chimney. There are probably better ones around in lost-wax copper.....

post-6680-0-75748700-1507564323_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

In between creosoting a fence and mowing the lawns, I detailed a Railroad GWR 'Hall'. 

Additional pipework on smokebox, new dart, new chimney, removal of molding missmatch on boiler and square patch near firebox and new horizontal and vertical handrails on cabsides.....

attachicon.gifWEB Hall 1.jpg

Might I suggest replacing the bogie wheels. I think Hornby's wheels look a little on the fat side and have replaced all of mine with Gibson's. Just think it gives a better 'face' to a loco.