CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

You mean to say that you're going to rip up that fine layout to make a similar one in O gauge, but with a lot less packed in? Nooooo!!!

But on the bright side, at least it gives you an excuse for a Dapol 57xx, and maybe also the forthcoming 14xx. Will be following with interest. :)

CARROG ?

Well, I did say no further changes will take place on the current layout! When I change direction, I change fast, and interest evaporated only this week as the Gauge 0 bug, wafted along by folk disguised as pals, began to work.   :mosking:

After facing several demons including building a new station house, I feel it should be possible to recreate the part of the scene shown below in 0 gauge. The platform will be built to hold three or four coaches instead of five and the run across the fields will be shorter, but neither would be a loss. The goods yard would have to be in the field on the left of the scene so that 3-link couplings could be easily reached. This has been tried out before.  By using shelf brackets, the radius of the garden loops could be enlarged without disturbing the posts. Whether it could be called Carrog or not remains to be seen. But hey ho, I doubt anything will change before March 2018, but I can at least buy a few things that may be in danger of selling out if I delay for too long.

attachicon.gifWEB scenery bits 1.jpg

COrrag Larry? Don't go blaming me mate, ahhahah. :no:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

You mean to say that you're going to rip up that fine layout to make a similar one in O gauge, but with a lot less packed in? Nooooo!!!

But on the bright side, at least it gives you an excuse for a Dapol 57xx, and maybe also the forthcoming 14xx. Will be following with interest. :)

Not forgetting the Dapol Prairie's and Minerva Panniers, (PLURAL i.e. MORE than one of each) :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Larry - couldn't you retain the existing and lovely model of Carrog by hinging it to the wall of your shed, or having it let down on ropes and pulleys from the rafters, or cleverly detached and lowered using winches into a purpose-built heated and insulated basement to your shed, thus allowing the 7mm version to be similarly winched by it's own cable up from your hi-tech layout storage facility? In this way, we, your fans, will get to savour everything!

PS. This is based on a real-life situation with regards to someone I know, who is planning to accommodate both a 4mm and a 7mm layout in the same shed, only without the Thunderbirds-are-Go type storage options.

Without doubt, you will need a Minerva Pannier, I have a couple here that you are welcome to come and have a play with if you want to try them, kept company by a Dapol Jinty!!!!

The Lionheart/Dapol B' Set is also here, awaiting a decoder, some seat painting, some people and a waft of weathering!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

I spent almost an Hour and a half just shunting some Wagons about on Penybont Sidings yesterday, and I only had to sort 5 from the 8 on the Layout, but with 3 link and all the relevant sounds it's surprisingly time consuming and yet still very therapeutic.

• Like 3

I shall be looking forward to your progress, it’s difficult once you’ve dabbled in O gauge to go back to the smaller scales,

Not detracting from the quality of the smaller scales but O has a weight and presence that you just can get with them.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with CarrOg Larry!

It is all about the mass with O for me, it is a good size and aim for less is more to get the best out of it.

attachicon.gif4566 Arley.jpg

I recognise that loco and setting!

Like it,,,,

Bob

Thanks Steve. I did wonder if  0 gauge RTR locos would be made suitable for sharpish curves in order to attract the widest audience.  One of each will go down well on the steam-era Llangollen line and for once I will be able to model it as a blue route as per the prototype. Also avoids the need to dig more holes in the back lawn to re-position posts for larger radius loops.

Oh dear, looks like I'll need to sell some ''OO'' so fund some Engine's down to Bala. :no:

Concerning 0 gauge, to the outside world, I change overnight, but what they are seeing is a decisive moment. In reality, interest in the layout was waning in October and so I bought some Peco bullhead points and the last remaining flexible track from Rhuddlan Models in readiness for a makeover that I thought might make operation more interesting. An interest in freight operation developed a couple of years ago due 100% to DCC sound, as it entails having a loco going through all the maneuvers and making the sounds we enthusiasts enjoy when watching steam locomotives.  

In the meantime, Jintyman was getting on with things again and Andy Peters made his annual visit to Bala (I knew his interest in 0 gauge had re-awakened), and I tried to put the whole idea of 7mm to the back of my mind. Anyway, it is sorted now. There is no champing at the bit to get going as there was in 2016. I know what to expect and it is this that makes me confident that I can produce a more satisfying "Carrog" in 0 gauge. 

Good man, very decisive and I hope you will enjoy it Larry.

I'm still sitting on the fence with a leg in each field, and it's bloomin painful. :no:  :no:  :no:

Edited by Andrew P

Good man, very decisive and I hope you will enjoy it Larry.

I'm still sitting on the fence with a leg in each field, and it's bloomin painful. :no:  :no:  :no:

Don’t let the fence get to you!

Seriously, O Gauge has its attractions but with reservations. Space and minimum radii come to mind. Smaller scales offer whole trains running through a landscape, O Gauge lets you drool over a weathered wagon and marvel at a slow running loco. You alluded to mixing scales in a railway room and I had already thought of reinstating Shipston on Stour when I saw the new space here in France. I should do both because I already have Shipston’s buildings to plonk. But I need to focus and Penmaenpool will win. Why? Because it is more of a challenge.

• Like 1