CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

A visit to Halfords this afternoon produced nothing in the way of a suitable scpraycan of green for BR(S) coaching stock. This is one of the diners after I fitted an extra rain strip and gave the body a light coat of Halfords plastic primer. Masking tape protected the ends....

attachicon.gifWEB Maunsell Diner 5.jpg

In the absence of green, I opted for blood & custard...

attachicon.gifWEB Maunsell Diner 6.jpg

Larry,

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you use for the extra rain strips?

As an SR modeller I was blissfully unaware of the missing rainstrips until I read your post ... and then I looked at my existing Hornby Maunsells and they all have four rainstrips ... they are also in the fully lined out olive, if only the Restaurant Car had been lined as well.

Glenn

Larry,

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you use for the extra rain strips?

As an SR modeller I was blissfully unaware of the missing rainstrips until I read your post ... and then I looked at my existing Hornby Maunsells and they all have four rainstrips ... they are also in the fully lined out olive, if only the Restaurant Car had been lined as well.

Glenn

I use Letraset tape. It was one of those products that fell by the wayside due to advancing technology and North Start Design and I purchased a job lot from Letraset. I think Comet Models sell a suitably narrow tape for roof rain strips.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I realise the Hornby SR Maunsell corridor coaches have been out a good while and no doubt buyers have been well pleased with the detail. I saw some first-hand today and I must say Hornby certainly does its homework. Among the arrivals from a good friend are a push & pull pair.  I hadn't given this release much thought but I now see the driving brake is a model of the 1935 batch of the heavily rivetted flush-window versions built around 1935. This I can use as an ordinarry brake composite if I back-engineer the brake end and glaze the lav window....

post-6680-0-26890500-1535745389_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-03948700-1535745391_thumb.jpg

A 1920's design Maunsell brake third is shown with external window bolections....

post-6680-0-60691300-1535745392_thumb.jpg

I am looking forward to preparing these and the other Maunsells for the new layout....

post-6680-0-04255900-1535745394_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9

I came across a few photos in the Transport Treasury website

Link:

https://goo.gl/uMtNGm

Takes you to the first, there are a few more on from here, but most are exclusively of the trains themselves rather than the surroundings.

Hope that these help.

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian, A good crop of photos showing parts more clearly. It looks like i can re-use Carrog overbridge after buttress have been added and some re-colouring of stonework carried out. Not sure if the upper wall is brick though. Looks like a visit to site is called for..

Edited by coachmann

Assistance please:-

Lucky me has been gifted a new Hornby Railroad 'County'. I only have a side elevation weight diagram but no end elevation. Some members are pretty gem'd up on this class and I would be grateful for a few clues so the necessary alterations can be made prior to repainting.  

• RMweb Premium

Lucky me has been gifted a new Hornby Railroad 'County'. I only have a side elevation weight diagram but no end elevation. Some members are pretty gem'd up on this class and I would be grateful for a few clues so the necessary alterations can be made prior to repainting.

Hi Larry. On and off over the last few months I’ve been attempting to do something with a Railroad County.

Basically the firebox is completely wrong so I used one from an 8F body from eBay (the motor *just* fits). The cab roof isn’t right so matters have been improved slightly by lowering it. An etched bogie from Comet was used.

I couldn’t stand the lumpen looking tender, so eBay to the rescue again with (I think) a Hawkesworth Hall one, the body of which I cut in half lengthwise to insert an extra 2mm.

With the normal detailing work, all of the above has been successful bearing in mind the starting point. However, the cylinders look like nothing that ever came out of Swindon and I’ve found the chassis runs like a drunken geriatric three-legged donkey...

It’s quite a list for what is still a compromise and a kit built chassis would be so much better. It’s a shame Hornby haven’t got to grips with the County, they are so typical for Cornwall and parts of Wales.

Hope this makes sense - in haste whilst on holiday!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Trevor. Much appreciated. It looks like I've got my work cut out then. 

Tim Shackleton rebuilds a County in his book: Plastic Bodied Locos published by Wild Swan. Well worth the price tag. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

I have modelled 1004 with the Railroad/Dapol model as a basis, 

I ended up using a Comet chassis with modified hall bogie, modified the body with a Hornby 8f firebox, new chimney, and replacement cab roof and brake linkages from the Jackson etch.  For the tender I have a half built etched tender from Falcon Brassworks, although I may still go down the route of adding the 2mm extra width to the Hornby Castle tender it is currently running with.  

Excusing my first attempt at lining a steam loco, I think it makes a pretty convincing model. I need to change the gearbox as it has the wrong ratio and hence drives like a heavy freight loco!  I also need to line the tender...

blogentry-54-0-70222400-1514978201.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I should have realised it was the 1000 Class as the 3800 Class had all gone a quarter of a century before Coachmann's prefered period. 

To my untrained eye, the Hornby 3800 looks quite life-like, belying its age - the other 1980s 4-4-0s were rather dreadful, especially the Compound.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

He used an ill advised phrase on a thread that would have attracted the attention of the moderators.

We can likely assume the inevitable subsequent discussion didn’t go in Larries favour.

Well, Larry, I see you have been banned.  Too bad, we have lost a great modeller with beaucoups of knowledge, drive and great results to show for it.  What can RMWeb be thinking of?

Best wishes (if you can see this) Paul

I hope that the Moderators know what they are doing here - Larry's valuable input was, for many of us modellers, part of what made RMweb worth spending time on.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

He used an ill advised phrase on a thread that would have attracted the attention of the moderators.

We can likely assume the inevitable subsequent discussion didn’t go in Larries favour.

Something that pertained directly to BRM, perchance?

Yours cynically,

John Isherwood.

It must have been some damning phrase to ban one of the better contributors to this forum on the strength of it !

Advocating taking up in open rebellion against the state or something?