CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Thanks very much for the link to this thread. Very interesting and it gives me something to read.

• RMweb Premium

The info on Stanley Jenkins scale drawings is useful although 'based on' is more likely with me rather than a true copy of Bakewell. The false wall of the other platform would be omitted otherwise it would put the station in darkness due to the lighting. Even Carrog suffers from shadow despite the very small waiting room on the Down.

It's the matching canopies that give the station buildings its character. I hope you're not thinking of the last years when all but four bays of the canopies were removed? I was looking forward to fully-lined Period 1 LMS carriages along with a good few ex-Midland ones too!

Edited by Compound2632

It's the matching canopies that give the station buildings its character. I hope you're not thinking of the last years when all but four bays of the canopies were removed? I was looking forward to fully-lined Period 1 LMS carriages along with a good few ex-Midland ones too!

Bakewells last years wasn't on my mind when I said I may not bother with the other platform canopy. I know well the environment in my shed and a dark brooding station hid by canopies does not work. I saw this first hand with my model of Greenfield. The model was more depressing than the real thing on a wet day! Chatting on line has helped me decide not to model Bakewell. A work of fiction seems the best course.

• Like 3

The next video that follows this one also has a quite a bit of crimson and cream.  Some shots probably also give a comparison between crimson and cream and maroon, but probably better for those with better knowledge to point out the best examples.  This one:

https://youtu.be/he3jMIemvUY

A bit of fun from 1957 that might be enlightening to those who think loco green is pale and 1949-56 carmine red resembles maroon.... 

Edited by 26power
  • Like 2

Larry

Try wiring up a scissor crossing. Mine kept me busy for nearly a week. Ironically once finished I have decided I rather like such challenges

I have also realised that I have never finished a layout in my life. Usually because I was always moving around the world. This time maybe I will finish?

But do what you must is my best advice.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

How about building a number of different scenic portable layouts that fit between the two ends that come through the shed walls? This would give you different options when you want too just play trains, but give you the modelling stimulus that you crave.

That's what made it so atmospheric.

Exactly !

Having spent many of my childhood holidays in Greenfield, and a significant proportion of those at the station, I know that Greenfield could never be described as vibrant or upbeat - except on Whit Friday.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

That's what made it so atmospheric.

Atmospheric on a fine summer Saturday yeh, but it was steam that made it really. A Fowler 0-8-0 blasting upgrade was something to see! I didn't look at it twice in the 1960's while working on the express buses, but Greenfeld station itself was a pleasanter place in the 1970's when the canopies had gone. I actually holidayed with family so i could revisit many of my old haunts armed with a decent camera.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Well, as far as colours go, the definitive ruling is, I believe long gone.  Film deteriorates with age, particularly if not stored in ideal conditions, while today's idea of scanning a colour at B&Q and matching it precisely simply didn't exist.  Batches of paint would have varied from time to time and location to location.  And the longer the paint's life on a loco or coach, the more it would change through all sorts of aging.

But what I liked about the trainspotters' movie was that the rake of crimson/cream coaches had a distinct togetherness.  I would like to think it was a top link express with the coaches kept together as much as possible.  The Midlander rakes were certainly maintained as "trains" with extras added for Friday night services, for example.  These were often added, with a pilot at New Street going up, or taken off there going down.  My research suggests that named trains on the LMR had the earliest upgrades to all maroon coaches, but for my purpose the Midlander will look like Philip Hawkins' painting.  Platform 7 was a great viewpoint and, because a public footpath ran through the station, it was free!

As to loco green, the best bet would be to examine City of Birmingham 46235.  It is, as far as I know, the only remaining example from Crewe's paint shop.

Paul

Ok chaps, given Larry's prodigious workrate what's the betting that the track will be lifted and the new track laid by 1st September? :) :)

Dave

p.s.and the new buildings by 1st October? :yes: :yes:

I'm still planning and plotting and nothing will be removed until I am really sure of my ground.  Several things in mind are a double track mainline. New baseboards constructed with a steep climb up to the station. No points on cambered curves. The station to be on a curve at the shed door end with a mainline appearance. Location likely to be the Chester-Shrewsbury line. I have to choose location to determines the scenery. Fiction enters the door because it will be GWR & LMS Joint with the GWR responsible for the infrastructure. Obviously, the pre-grouping company would be the LNWR. I would have to think hard if it is to be the Midland!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm still planning and plotting and nothing will be removed until I am really sure of my ground.  Several things in mind are a double track mainline. New baseboards constructed with a steep climb up to the station. No points on cambered curves. The station to be on a curve at the shed door end with a mainline appearance. Location likely to be the Chester-Shrewsbury line. I have to choose location to determines the scenery. Fiction enters the door because it will be GWR & LMS Joint with the GWR responsible for the infrastructure. Obviously, the pre-grouping company would be the LNWR. I would have to think hard if it is to be the Midland!

All three came together at Hereford.

• RMweb Gold

The next video that follows this one also has a quite a bit of crimson and cream.  Some shots probably also give a comparison between crimson and cream and maroon, but probably better for those with better knowledge to point out the best examples.  This one:

https://youtu.be/he3jMIemvUY

You just have to marvel at the shot at 18:45. It says a lot for the state of the PWay length.

There is a man who appears to be the Lampman riding his bike along the cess with a signal lamp hanging from the handlebars.

• RMweb Gold

....................... Location likely to be the Chester-Shrewsbury line. I have to choose location to determines the scenery. Fiction enters the door because it will be GWR & LMS Joint with the GWR responsible for the infrastructure. Obviously, the pre-grouping company would be the LNWR. I would have to think hard if it is to be the Midland!

There was an interesting bit of infrastructure from Wellington to Shrewsbury. That was LNWR/GWR Joint having been originally started by the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Co. to link Stafford and Shrewsbury. The Shrewsbury and Welligton Railway was built jointly with the Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway. The SUR&CC was taken over by the LNWR and the S&B by the GWR. 

Plenty of GWR trains running past LNWR signal boxes.

We had company today and did a lot of chatting & listening, as you do, but afterwards I sat myself comfortably in the quiet of the shed and just let a train chuff round and all was well with the world. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9