CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

A few posts ago, I said I would not be repainting a 47XX in BR lined green. Bored out of my skull, I have just painted the other Heljan 47XX in BR lined green. Cabside plates arrived juts in time today and were on the model 10 minutes later. 'Classic Gold' picture frame paint was used on the safety valve and whistles...

post-6680-0-84747000-1533746016_thumb.jpg

This model is not like the sturdy models produced elsewhere. Small plastic detail parts that has been factory glued on were continuously being glued back. They included one lower slidebar, Tender lanp brackets, a sandbox below the cab, front vacuum pipe, injector overflow pipes, a bar between the frames and a whistle....

post-6680-0-61217900-1533746018_thumb.jpg

A replacement front vacuum pipe and stand was made from brass rod and fixed into a pre-drilled hole with a shortened split-pin...

post-6680-0-07566400-1533746020_thumb.jpg

Both my 47XX's together....

post-6680-0-68732600-1533767691_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-84747000-1533746016_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-61217900-1533746018_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-07566400-1533746020_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-68732600-1533767691_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

Some of the Dapol kits (if not all of them) are now made in a 'softer' plastic than originally used. Recycled I believe, and softer to help prserve the moulds it seems....

It could be an idea to have a look-see if you can source original Airfix kits (probably the 'best' plastic?) at the same price-point, or even earlier Dapol....Northwich or Winsford made, or possibly Llangollen made...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintag-Airfix-1st-series-Platform-canopy-kit/312208065505?hash=item48b10d03e1:g:UwEAAOSwP~FbYGhX

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintag-Airfix-1st-series-Platform-canopy-kit/312208065505?hash=item48b10d03e1:g:UwEAAOSwP~FbYGhX

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Premium

A few posts ago, I said I would not be repainting a 47XX in BR lined green. Bored out of my skull, I have just painted the other Heljan 47XX in BR lined green. Cabside plates arrived juts in time today and were on the model 10 minutes later. 'Classic Gold' picture frame paint was used on the safety valve and whistles...

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 31.jpg

This model is not like the sturdy models produced elsewhere. Small plastic detail parts that has been factory glued on were continuously being glued back. They included one lower slidebar, Tender lanp brackets, a sandbox below the cab, front vacuum pipe, injector overflow pipes, a bar between the frames and a whistle....

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 32.jpg

A replacement front vacuum pipe and stand was made from brass rod and fixed into a pre-drilled hole with a shortened split-pin...

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 33.jpg

Both my 47XX's together....

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 35.jpg

Hi Larry, one of mine has arrived, another on its way.  Both no. 4705, one to be renumbered to 4707, freshly outshopped from Swindon 1961.

Can you tell me where you got your cabside number plates and also smokebox numbers/plate? 

Did you remove existing numbers or leave them in place?  If so, how?

Thanks.

Hi Larry, one of mine has arrived, another on its way.  Both no. 4705, one to be renumbered to 4707, freshly outshopped from Swindon 1961.

Can you tell me where you got your cabside number plates and also smokebox numbers/plate? 

Did you remove existing numbers or leave them in place?  If so, how?

Thanks.

Plates were from Jim Grindley at Modelmaster. The Heljan model has plates moulded on in relief. One could glue etched plates on top of the raised number plate moulding or carve it off. The latter course demands care if rivets are not to be damaged. See post # 2504.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Plates were from Jim Grindley at Modelmaster. The Heljan model has plates moulded on in relief. One could glue etched plates on top of the raised number plate moulding or carve it off. The latter course demands care if rivets are not to be damaged. See post # 2504.

Thanks, Larry. Something to think about while I order the plates.  I see we also have to be careful with handling it so that the detailing bits don't fall off.  I am beginning to think they might all be better off in a display case!   :nono:  :nono:  :nono: 

:locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: 

Anyway, I am enjoying your thread, even though I only drop in occasionally.  Wonderful stuff.  :yes:   The real Carrog is my favourite station.

• Like 2

And now there are two....

I did the second repaint while still in the mood.  The same four ruling pens have been in use commercially for 46 years now, but my eyes have been at it far longer, and so I have been thinking this loco will be among the last. Repainting these 4700's in lined green was something I never wanted to do. In fact I kept telling myself that I didn't need one, but then two arrived by surprise. I don't really need two and so the other will be going back to my friend complete with a repaint....

post-6680-0-10572800-1534002315_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

One's nice, TWOS's a bonus, I'm amazed how you turn them around so quickly, does the paint ever get time to dry? 

Model painting is my job so speed is essential. Very funny about the PVA not getting the chance to dry... I wonder who I got it from... :mosking:

Even in 4mm those 47s just exude power, lovely stuff.

I agree. Hornby must be wondering now why on earth it didn't produce the 4700! 

As welcome as this locos' arrival was, it presented a problem for Carrog.  Without wandering too far into the realms of Rule 1, I have been using a 'Grange' with small Churchward Tender as a temporary look-alike 'Manor', however, a severely route-restricted 2-8-0 was about as impossible to justify as a 'King'. My workaround might sound extreme to some folk, but this was when I decided to make a layout to fit the loco, hence the planned double track mainline. Incidentally, I do also have a 'King'.....   ^_^

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

As things stand now, and I cannot really see it changing, the new layout will be based on Ruabon. "Based on" is the keyword here because the prototype has marshalling yards and these demand a wide baseboard, something to avoid in a 6' wide shed. Code 100 track has been terrific, but I just might return to bullhead for this, my final layout....he says! 

Marshaling yards make effective storage yards and take the pressure of the fiddle yard. The station also has its own small goods yard. Traffic....Well what can I say....The potential is enormous. An Up bay for Dee Valley passenger trains. A Down lye-bye for goods traffic. Block brick trains from Trevor and block oil trains to name two. Non-stop passenger to & from Paddington, locals to Shrewsbury and Birmingham. Festiniog Society Special involving 'feature' locomotives and double-red route restriction as far as Saltney Junction.

What I want to add though is more LMS influence before 1963. So I think the Chester-Shrewsbury section will be Joint GWR/LMS with the GWR being in charge of architecture and signalling, but both companies providing motive power and coaching stock.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing the 47xx on the Birkenhead - London fitted.

The specials give you a good leeway as some of the Talyllyn ones went that way. 1011 and 34064 worked as far as Ruabon in later years. A brand new 8-coach Calder Valley DMU did it from Leeds. Although it went via Shresbury an L&Y 2-4-2T made it to Towyn but didn't make it back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing the 47xx on the Birkenhead - London fitted.

The specials give you a good leeway as some of the Talyllyn ones went that way. 1011 and 34064 worked as far as Ruabon in later years. A brand new 8-coach Calder Valley DMU did it from Leeds. Although it went via Shresbury an L&Y 2-4-2T made it to Towyn but didn't make it back.

Is it still there?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As things stand now, and I cannot really see it changing, the new layout will be based on Ruabon. "Based on" is the keyword here because the prototype has marshalling yards and these demand a wide baseboard, something to avoid in a 6' wide shed. Code 100 track has been terrific, but I just might return to bullhead for this, my final layout....he says! 

Marshaling yards make effective storage yards and take the pressure of the fiddle yard. The station also has its own small goods yard. Traffic....Well what can I say....The potential is enormous. An Up bay for Dee Valley passenger trains. A Down lye-bye for goods traffic. Block brick trains from Trevor and block oil trains to name two. Non-stop passenger to & from Paddington, locals to Shrewsbury and Birmingham. Festiniog Society Special involving 'feature' locomotives and double-red route restriction as far as Saltney Junction.

What I want to add though is more LMS influence before 1963. So I think the Chester-Shrewsbury section will be Joint GWR/LMS with the GWR being in charge of architecture and signalling, but both companies providing motive power and coaching stock.

Gobowen, perchance?

• RMweb Gold

Is it still there?

Unfortunately not. 50781 was allocated to Southport prior to the trip, then reportedly shown by the SLS as on loan to the WR for a few days, then reallocated to Walton on the Hill. It was withdrawn a couple of years later and said to have been cut at Gorton in 1960.

My vote, not that there is one, would be for Gobowen, simpler than Ruabon but just as much traffic in that you would have Oswestry Works just two miles away and lots of interesting visitors, including a 15xx from 81A! My first cop at Gobowen was an LM loco, probably a Black 5, on an express to Paddington which no doubt was changed out at Wolverhampton Low Level. This would have been around 1957. As I only had the Western Region Ian Allan I was a bit confused!

Paul

Ps apologies if I have mentioned this before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

34061 may have been the only Bulleid to work that far before preservation days. The furthest north I saw one on the WR was in the Birmingham area.

However, on alternate days there was at least one Maunsell catering vehicle booked through north of Birmingham.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

My vote, not that there is one, would be for Gobowen, simpler than Ruabon but just as much traffic in that you would have Oswestry Works just two miles away and lots of interesting visitors, including a 15xx from 81A! My first cop at Gobowen was an LM loco, probably a Black 5, on an express to Paddington which no doubt was changed out at Wolverhampton Low Level. This would have been around 1957. As I only had the Western Region Ian Allan I was a bit confused!

Paul

Ps apologies if I have mentioned this before.

Gobowen simply does not work within my shed. It has no overbridges and therefore no natural breaks where the line passes through the shed walls. 

I have moved on from simplicity Paul. If Carrog told me anything, it is operationally boring. Imagine standing on Carrog station in 1960 and seeing nothing for ages. I would have been on the next train out of there and back to Croes Newydd quick style. My taste for curved station and trains leaning on the camber as they sped through probably stems from my childhood days at Greenfield (Standedge line).

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

34061 may have been the only Bulleid to work that far before preservation days. The furthest north I saw one on the WR was in the Birmingham area.

However, on alternate days there was at least one Maunsell catering vehicle booked through north of Birmingham.

Kitchen Buffet 7864+SO on the Bournemouth - Birkenhead and Buffet 7956 on the Margate - Birkenhead alternate days both working throughout in the late 1950s look to have been the regulars

I have moved on from simplicity Paul. If Carrog told me anything, it is operationally boring. Imagine standing on Carrog station in 1960 and seeing nothing for ages. I would have been on the next train out of there and back to Croes Newydd quick style. My taste for curved station and trains leaning on the camber as they sped through probably stems from my childhood days at Greenfield (Standedge line).

Larry

I fully understand.  It may be that, after I have finished Penmaenpool (to my satisfaction) I may rip it up and do Gobowen myself, though again there would have to be curves where there aren't any.  My reason is much the same as yours, I have locos that would have been seen (if only occasionally) on the Chester-Shrewsbury main line, including the Jubilee but also unmade kits for Castle and Patriot, both favourites of mine.  Add in my existing 89A and 84J locos and Gobowen would be a good fit.  Given the L Girder construction, it would plausible to have a scenic run all the way around except in the doorway with tracks running down from there to long storage loops under the station.

Paul

• Like 2