CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

What I like about this model is, it wont be on my desk in the morning!  It was finally completed just before our evening meal...

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 40.jpg

The lean-too glazing has the white bars painted on top and the underside painted grey, which is why it reflects light like glass....

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 41.jpg

These shots were taken this evening in the remaining sunlight....

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 42.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 42B.jpg

Superb observation of stonework colouring and weathering, Larry, just excellent.

Before building the Down platform, I have been having second thoughts about the points that connect the loop just beyond the road overbridge. As things stand, a loco running round its train will have to go all the way to the fiddle yard, which is where the loop currently ends!  It seemed a good idea at the time, but operationally it is crap.   :wacko:

• RMweb Gold

If the line is 'still open', as a opposed to the end of the heritage line, why would the loco run round ?

(Unless you are talking about a goods train and running round for shunting).

If the line is 'still open', as a opposed to the end of the heritage line, why would the loco run round ?

(Unless you are talking about a goods train and running round for shunting).

Exactly. Only Down direction goods trains called to pick up or set down in the yard at Carrog. This of course meant the loco had to run round its train before shunting could take place.  It happens to be the one aspect of model railway operation I like, due no doubt to me having spent much time watching steam locos shunting in my youth.  

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 7

>SNIPPED

Now it's finished, I can imagine this as a Hornby or Bachmann ready-to-plonk........It has a lot more character than Highley.

As Bachmann, and Hornby, have in the past "done" various "Heritage Railway" structures, and you have built this model, I wonder how long it will be before H or BM "do" the Llangollen line? ;)

It seems to be a "rule" that as soon as someone builds a decent model, a RTR example appears.....

Edited by Sarahagain

The track engineer went out this morning to try out a new formation that would bring the loop together into single track.... 

post-6680-0-28509100-1498218487.jpg

Much of the un-prototypical swing right of the running line would be removed while a 30" radius curve would link the running line with the 36" radius outside curve. It is still under consideration while trying out LH and RH points.....

post-6680-0-88968000-1498218488.jpg

This change was on my mind, hence this image taken last week....

post-6680-0-28441600-1498218886_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

Go for it my Son, you know you want to. :O

Mind you, it's probably DONE BY NOW knowing the lightning speed at which our Coachman works. :sungum:

Ha ha....It's only the preparation. Electrical wires soldered across the point and jump wires removed....

post-6680-0-76407000-1498228721.jpg

post-6680-0-35276300-1498228723.jpg

• Like 8

This was done this evening with a 30" radius link to the old 36" curve. It is better than before but not ideal. I could continue with a straight track beyond the point after widening the 'baseboard' and then reduce the whole curve to something like 33" radius. Weather permitting, it might be tried out tomorrow. A longer weather-tunnel is also required to protect the point...

post-6680-0-58016000-1498245694.jpg

• Like 9

The new 33" radius loop (old one was 36" rad.) and the straighter course out of Carrog...

post-6680-0-43389400-1498331981.jpg

The new longer weather tunnel is nothing to write home about. From normal viewpoints within the shed, the track turning to the right for a short distance cannot be seen.

post-6680-0-55967200-1498331043.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I haven't commented before but have been following progress with interest. You are really achieving the 'feel' of the place and keeping the minimalist approach just makes it better in my mind.

With the new weather 'tunnel', would some suggestion of vegetation inside help with the disguise? I imagine the trees & lineside growth is rather more now than in the era you're portraying, but might it help soften the transition?

The new 33" radius loop (old one was 36" rad.) and the straighter course out of Carrog...

attachicon.gifWEB Loop 8.jpg

The new longer weather tunnel is nothing to write home about. From normal viewpoints within the shed, the track turning to the right for a short distance cannot be seen.

attachicon.gifWEB Loop 10.jpg

hello,

looking at this picture, would it help the flow of track if you used a left hand point instead of a right hand.

Just a thought, great layout this is mon!

I agree

I feel that since the quality and attention to detail of the other work is so high, that kink on the exit from the point will be a regret in the future

From where I am inside the shed, I only see a straight entrance from under the bridge. 

I haven't commented before but have been following progress with interest. You are really achieving the 'feel' of the place and keeping the minimalist approach just makes it better in my mind.

With the new weather 'tunnel', would some suggestion of vegetation inside help with the disguise? I imagine the trees & lineside growth is rather more now than in the era you're portraying, but might it help soften the transition?

Your comments are very welcome Rich. The very first weather tunnel was wider and had a roofing felt embankment on its RH side. I cannot remember why i scrapped it. The latest incarnation tapers towards the single track end, but i will build another seeing as the joinery leaves a to to be desired.  I have thought of sticking part of the ID Backscene inside the final tunnel to it to give some continuity to the scenery.

Edited by coachmann

Small clue as to what happened today.....

post-6680-0-50661300-1498428005_thumb.jpg

All the feeds were soldered to the rails then brought together,  connected up and soldered to two leads from the controller. The LH90 handset was plugged in and No.44 entered. The LMS 4F started hissing so I blew the whistle.  It moved off and did a track test. One dodgy point replaced in the fiddle yard.... Dcc Sound..........Dead Simple!

post-6680-0-02534000-1498428007.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

Members will have noticed over the years that I use no super-duper wizzo technology except for DCC Sound. The point at the Corwen end of the loop was made fully functioning this morning using mostly Peco components. This is the points switch mounted on an old hardboard backing, so ignore the word 'Marshalling'. ...

post-6680-0-92421800-1498485648.jpg

Peco PL-10 standard motor above which is Peco PL-13 Accessory Switch. The latter attaches with contact adhesive and provides single pole changeover switching for the frog. This is better than relying on contact of switch blade with stock rail to carry current ~ a necessity outdoors.

post-6680-0-21619900-1498485651.jpg

The wiring....Now't neat there then!

post-6680-0-71624800-1498485653_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The lousy joinery tunnel was replaced today with a new one covering an embankment as on the old outside shelf.....

post-6680-0-70139800-1498503372.jpg

The embankment is scrap roofing felt and is awaiting painting.....

post-6680-0-47280500-1498504189.jpg

This view is only available to the camera, and then only until the down platform is built. It merely gives some continuity to the scene. All afternoon was spent on this so if anyone phoned, you know where I was....  :biggrin_mini2:

post-6680-0-52037400-1498503375_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

The fiddle yard is complete and working after last weeks removal of double track. Some more old layout scrap is seen through the window awaiting the trip to the skip. The dead end siding is for a yet to be dreamed up qyarry working or a long excursion. The adjacent shortie is the through road for continuous running. This is beside a short holding road for the Auto train, then the remaining four loops are for storing reversing trains....

post-6680-0-95836900-1498582371.jpg

Rather than bore you guys with a video clip, here's a slow shutter speed shot of the 4F passing Carrog while testing all the storage roads....

post-6680-0-48774400-1498582480.jpg

.....And stopping for a cuppa at the box.......

post-6680-0-01338800-1498582510_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

What could be loosely called adding some colouring under the new weather tunnel was done today after rain stopped....

post-6680-0-67539000-1498588427.jpg 

The cess was sprayed matt black, then a mix of paint the colour of my lawn was brushed over the roofing felt embankments. While still wet, some scatter was sprinkled around to match the indoor scenery...

post-6680-0-89075600-1498588336_thumb.jpg

It's good enough for the purpose seeing this little set up cannot be seen in it's entirety except by the camera.... 

post-6680-0-77211300-1498588363_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Plugs....

post-6680-0-24693800-1498594481_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17