CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

The running line not being parallel to the goods shed is probably as a result of altering the layout in readiness for the installation of a passing loop. Land was bought but in the end the loop wasn't added.

I am currently preparing points, motors and current-switchers for the extended goods yard, in fact everything required to complete the task is now to hand. I will be making a much smaller goods shed than the rather overpowering one at Cynwyd, as I want it to look more distant.

Ground cover is a problem I'm working on, as I have been looking for an alternative to real ash. It needs to be dark grey-ish and as fine as sand. I am experimenting with something from Woodland Scenics....

attachicon.gifWEB Ash 1.jpg

Right colour, but it won't file down to fine dust. If only Woodland Scenics could crush this much smaller, it would be great for goods yards and trackside cess....

attachicon.gifWEB ash 2.jpg

Beg borrow or steal an old coffee bean grinder, the sort that is like a food processor with a blade that whizzes round.I use mine to mash up everything from real coal and ash, dried real dirt (cooked in the old slow cooker) right through to pastel sticks for pigments. One of the most useful tools I have, so many uses.

And no it doesn't make my coffee taste funny, I have a burr grinder for my coffee beans....

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The various ideas I had for motorizing the points were cast aside this morning when I cut two rectangular holes right through the embankment to take a below-point mounted soleniod and PL-13 frog switch.  Then the remainder of the new track was curved cut to length and joined as accurately as possible. A single track in the original yard now serves the cattle dock and leaves more room for mounds of coal.....

attachicon.gifWEB Goods shed 6.jpg

I was working out shunting maneuvers in bed, you know how you do, and it was obvious a headshunt off the yard loop at the Llangollen end would never be used. This saved using a point and so a catchpoint was substituted... 

attachicon.gifWEB Goods shed 7.jpg

Then the lot was sprayed with Sleeper Grime and allowed to dry. Let gluing and ballasting commence....

attachicon.gifWEB Goods shed 8.jpg

Too much information Coach. :jester:

Larry: I wouldn't pretend to be a master modeller, but I found that a 1Kg bag of budgie sand, sieved through a fine sieve (to remove what appear to the remains of shells!), sprinkled on to the area required and then glued down using a fine mist spray of glue/water did the trick for me. It was then given the appropriate darkened colour with Humbrol dirty black. Cheap and cheerful.

DavidR

Katowice, Poland

post-6680-0-88595400-1501521582_thumb.jpg

Writing on the baseboard says it all but the problem was in the past by this time. I'm rather pleased with the goods yard yard ground cover...

post-6680-0-54489300-1501521581_thumb.jpg

All the point switches are now on the new switch board...

post-6680-0-64162800-1501522185_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

What no Goods Shed or separate dedicated Coal Yard? :O

Will  that be enough shunting? :no:

Depending on how Larry forms his local trip freight the shunting could get quite amusing, especially if Jones the coal has only emptied one of the three wagonloads of coal left for him two days back and it happens to be between the two that are still underload and he wants the empty taken away to avoid demurrage charges.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The revised yard serving the cattle dock and end-loading dock. There is now a lot more room for a decent coal yard and coal stocks...

attachicon.gifWEB goods shed 10.jpg

PGH's 'ash' has worked out well and has virtually hidden old sleeper marks. (Signalbox roof adrift as usual!). The curve around the signal box has been considerably eased. DCC Concepts track used because of its thin sleepers....

attachicon.gifWEB goods shed 9.jpg

Larry, the effect you've achieved between the somewhat sparsely ballasted siding and the roadway/vehicular track next to it is spot on, I think.

When did that 2nd siding behind the signal box (re-)appear ?  It wasn't there a couple of days ago...

Monday. When I came indoors just before dusk, Andy Peters post was a chuckle, as I had already reinstated the second siding. The siding is Peco bullhead while the coal siding is DCC Concepts thin-sleeper track. The point is actuated by defingerpocken !

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how regularly Bachmann puts this elderly model into production, but it still has no front lamp irons. Anyway, I have used 1960's modelling methods and added details using handrail wire. Origins of the smokebox 'dart' ...

attachicon.gifWEB 46XX 3.jpg

Very similar to my efforts not so long ago and renumbered to 7715 of St Blazey. I chickened out with the sanding rods, though I did manage the grab rails above the middle footsteps. Fire irons, coal, dangling slacking hose and a modelu lamp, job done! :) Well worth it.

• Like 1

Monday. When I came indoors just before dusk, Andy Peters post was a chuckle, as I had already reinstated the second siding. The siding is Peco bullhead while the coal siding is DCC Concepts thin-sleeper track. The point is actuated by defingerpocken !

Sorry, wasn't Derfingerpocken scuttled in Scapa Flow long before the period of your layout?

I have a large speaker I want to use but it wont go in the Intermediate Tender behind the Grange. Thoughts turned to buying a Railroad Hall with 4000 gallon Tender and swopping Tenders. To this end, I bought engraved plates for a Grange with large Tender and a Hall with Intermediate tender. But in the end i bought a Bachmann 4000 gallon Tender and chopped it down until only the body was left....

post-6680-0-78593200-1501702359_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-15732600-1501702361_thumb.jpg

Obviously the body will have to be lightly glued to the chassis after DCC sound has been installed...

post-6680-0-49117800-1501702362.jpg

There is certainly more room in here than in the Hornby variants....

post-6680-0-45734800-1501702363.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

You can now get an etched part for those from RT Models - http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_023.htm

Part number 4SLP028.

Thanks Tim. :) I have some of those and I keep looking at them saying "One Day... One Day.... One day I'll summon the courage!" I had an uncle who repaired old fashioned mechanical watches for a hobby, sadly his talents for manipulating tiny parts did not extended to my part of the family. Uncle Bill would have assembled that sanding gear in about 5 minutes! Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 1