CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Go for it! I remember how unsatisfactory the Bachmann 57XX looked beside an 0 gauge SanCheng 57XX and so I think a spot of detailing can only improve the appearance of this elderly 4mm model.

I loosened the keeper plate today and slipped in a 20though plastikard spacer before re-tightening the screws. It allows the middle wheels to drop below the outer wheels to cure a nasty stalling habit.

I filed a notch in the keeper plate below the middle axle to achieve the same. It seems strange that Bachmann provided the springing and then overly restricted the travel.

Oakhill

Hi Larry, You can still safely add grass on top of the side mounted Motor by adding some Static Grass to a piece of paper and adding that to the top of the Motor Housing.

Excellent work in the Yard now. I do prefer it without the second loop.

• Like 1

Green-green grass of home...Once again, Ready-Grass Vinyl Mat Spring Grass is a quick way of adding the basic ground cover ....

post-6680-0-77599100-1501873526.jpg

Station approach and path to booking hall. 

post-6680-0-31132300-1501873528.jpg

Vinyl mat is stuck down with Evostik and formed with a heatgun.....

post-6680-0-48846500-1501873529.jpg

• Like 19

The adapted body of the 4000 gallon tender was repainted yesterday....

attachicon.gifWEB Grange II 5.jpg

A view just taken in bright sunlight. At this stage I am unsure whether to weather the tender to match the loco or repaint the loco to match the tender...

attachicon.gifWEB Grange II 6.jpg

Definitely repaint the loco, then match the weathering on tender and loco..

• Like 1

Here is the news......

post-238-0-99507900-1501933713_thumb.jpg

Would the GWR allow for the 'normal' position of the turnouts to lead directly to a siding?  In order to follow the main, you have to pass through a turnout in the 'reverse' position.  

Apologies for using US signalling parlance, I do not know the correct GWR terms!

It looks odd to me, and the google earth view

post-238-0-54838100-1501933463_thumb.jpg

shows that the sidings and the loop are accessed via the more sharply curved diverging leg of the turnout (reverse) with some allowance for the fact that the turnouts appear to be very slightly curved through the straighter (normal) route.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifcarrog model.jpg

Would the GWR allow for the 'normal' position of the turnouts to lead directly to a siding?  In order to follow the main, you have to pass through a turnout in the 'reverse' position.  

Apologies for using US signalling parlance, I do not know the correct GWR terms!

It looks odd to me, and the google earth view

attachicon.gifcarrog.JPG

shows that the sidings and the loop are accessed via the more sharply curved diverging leg of the turnout (reverse) with some allowance for the fact that the turnouts appear to be very slightly curved through the straighter (normal) route.

The photo doesn't necessarily show the normal lie of the points - just the way they were set when the photo was taken.  However if you are meaning the normal lie should be the 'straight route' then the only question I can think of is  - why?   Inevitably there would be places where the topography and arrangement of the layout would mean the normal route would be through the curvature of the turnout side of the point instead of the straight route.

While researching Penmaenpool (in many ways a cousin to Carrog though of Cambrian origin) it became clear to me that the "Main" line has a smoother run through the loop than the "Loop" line.  But in reality as the signal box controlled the single line tablet exchange in both directions there was no fast running in either direction through the station.  It was simply more convenient to design the track work that way as the siding(s) were accessed from the western end of the "Loop" line.  If you rotate Carrog through 180º you have Penmaenpool except the sidings at Carrog are switched off the "Main" line.  In both cases the signalman would have been involved in shunting operations.

• Like 3

Hi Larry

I was at Carrog the other day while visiting the Llangollen as part of my Welsh railways adventure, and having now seen the prototype myself I must compliment you on your stunning work, looks every inch like Carrog!

Good luck with the rest of the project.

Cheers,

Liam

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The photo doesn't necessarily show the normal lie of the points - just the way they were set when the photo was taken.  However if you are meaning the normal lie should be the 'straight route' then the only question I can think of is  - why?   Inevitably there would be places where the topography and arrangement of the layout would mean the normal route would be through the curvature of the turnout side of the point instead of the straight route.

In such cases, what might appear to be (e.g.) a left hand point would in fact be a right hand point - the point rail at the vee being in the curved "straight" route and the splice rail being in the straight "turnout" route.

Spot on. I was full of idealism initially and the layout did indeed start off with a 'Y' point in the yard just as the real location, but I had to move the signalbox slightly by eating into the platform. I missed the boat when I failed to take up a friends offer to design on Templot and build me the three points to scale. I was still in Peco 'flick-em-over' with a finger mode at the time! 

Today I could easily buy three Marcway soldered turnouts plus a box of SMP flexible track and relay the lot. 

I think there comes a point with every model railway where good enough is good enough. Your model of Carrog is more than good enough at this point most would agree.