CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Attempting to be constructive after my excited outburst above, you could perhaps do what some others on this thread and elsewhere do, and build a 'Carrog rebuilt' at standing height above the existing layout. You could use casettes to move stock from the lower fiddle yard to the upper and vice versa. That way you could have the best of Carrog as it is, and Carrog as you would like to imagine it.

(I'm always a bit afraid of giving offence, and acutely conscious of my own paltry modelling output. If I'm not being helpful, just send me a pm and I'll desist. I'm a great admirer of the quality and speed of your modelling, and the beautiful lustrous paint finish on your coaches - so much more beautiful than the dull maroons and crimson / creams of rtr paint jobs. Best wishes.)

Alan

Though the elegant building is elegant, it looks a bit more like a platform building...so my personal opinion is option B.

The Coal order office with a one-way pitched roof looks better to me as well. Just needs Coal Order Office signage....

gallery_12119_2885_17826.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/gallery/album_2885/gallery_12119_2885_17826.jpg

gallery_12119_2885_21317.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/gallery/album_2885/gallery_12119_2885_21317.jpg

gallery_12119_2885_9398.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/gallery/album_2885/gallery_12119_2885_9398.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Gold

Wel done on disguising the corner in the backscene. It doesn't look like a right angle in the view and it's hard to tell what is on the backscene and what is actual 3D. My vote would be to keep the threepenny bit ended weigh office. Looks so elegant, but not doubt the plainer one is more in keeping with the status of the station.

• Like 1

Larry,

FWIW I think the threepenny bit building is a bit OTT for the line (I just received my copy of Mitchell and Smith's book).  Most goods yard structures seem to be vey basic, many in corrugated sheeting, while most halts have very basic shelters.  I don't think the GWR's budget would have stretched to such an ornate building.

But it's your railway!

All is looking good, I can't wait until October and the start of my own construction at Penmaenpool!  A lot of catching up to do. . . . . .

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Coach, I take it that the fencing wires have been drawn on the back scene? They look very good. And how have you managed to lose the top of the back scene paper and blended it into the wall of the shed?

• RMweb Gold

The station master must have been influential at Paddington, as he stopped BR painters from slapping brown & cream over his station house, which thus retailed its GWR colours....

Or perhaps the Painting Foreman had some stocks of the old colours left!

• RMweb Gold

A case of which building to use for the weighbridge, the elegant threepenny bit ended building or the smaller one.  The one nearest the camera will serve as the coalmans office...

I'd definitely go for the plainer buildings, Larry. I'm not sure why any commercial company would spend good money to make an otherwise purely functional small building decorative.

• Like 3

With regards to the gate pivot (post 636) I remember an article many years ago in the Railway Modeller where  the writer advocated the use of bolts for pivots. In the case of gates, using locknuts and washers,  this enables easy height adjustment whilst still holding it all in place. He also used them for the pivots in a home made lever frame, enabling sideways adjustment and variable tightness of movement. 

Good to know how others see it.  I have a non-theoretical or pragmatic approach to modelling and will use whatever comes to hand if it is useful. While I could have built the whole station building, in fact it might have been easier(!), the conversion of a ready-to-plonk resin building shows that one can still capture the essence of something with a change of window frames and new colouring. I did this when modelling the station at Greefield (Standedge line).  I had no option but to start from scratch when it came to the road bridge although here again I used available materials and so the Wills stonework is not a replica of the pattern at Carrog.

Unfortunately for me, the non-theoretical approach can be very wasteful of materials, but I have to build it for it to become apparent it doesn't look right in or won't work. This was wy the goods yard was extended along the back of the layout, only for it to last two days. A goods yard with long headshunt was then built at the front of the layout behind the down platform, but it detracted rather than added. I decided not to post any pictures of this on here, as it would only have served to show I am a nutcase at times. However, everything is out of my system now hence the rapid progress with scenery.

Loco-wise,  I have two 'Grange' class 4-6-0's because they resemble 'Manor' class locos. I am simply not prepared to mess around with split-chassis. An earlier intention was to have a funny hour and use Carrog as a heritage line. Anything goes of course and so I have a Fowler Crab, Stanier 2-6-0, LNW Coal Tank and Britannia waiting in the wings. There is also a DJM 14XX but I doubt this will ever see DCC and a sound chip.

As for coaching stock, I haven't had the time to build any yet. Thank goodness for Hornby and Bachmann coaches!

Worst case scenario Larry is to Build or get someone to Build you a nice Manor, I still can't believe Bachmann haven't re done it yet, Maybe Oxford will, and have it on the shelves by Christmas.

Pics are looking very good, and as for Preserved, well who's to know what goes on in the Shed when there's NO CAMERAS around. :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good Lord, don't say that out loud - I can hear Miss Prism and Stationmaster Mike keeling over in fright at the thought

Some of us - actually encouraged by one of their past and much respected employees - have 'hinted' on various occasions to Bachmann that they realy ought to do a proper job on their 'Manor'.  But alas while such 'hints' might not have fallen on stony ground they do have something a backlog to clear so maybe I should start talking to Hornby instead but I doubt they'll bite on this one (although I do have high hopes of something else on the 'useful list' appearing from them within a year or two).

• Like 4

(although I do have high hopes of something else on the 'useful list' appearing from them within a year or two).

Hmm, of what's left and would be bracketed as 'useful' to the typical GWR/WR modeller (sans aforementioned Manor):

- 41/51/61 Large Prairie

- 43/53/73/93 Mogul 

- 10xx County

- 29xx Saint

My money is on one of the top two but the latter two will, I feel inevitably, be done once the respective new build prototype Frankenlocos are complete and in glorious motion. 

CoY