CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Layout coming on nicely now Larry so excellent modelling be conducted in the 'mancave' very much enjoying following the time warp of my local station. With regard to the lack of a Manor it has crossed my mind a couple of time to see if comet do a chassis to fit beneath the old Bachmann model.I know in the past I have do this to an 2-6-2  Ivatt tank  with some degree of success. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Behave Mr.Stationmaster encouraging off-topic on my thread. I have seen layout threads turn into early-risers before ha ha...

Sorry Mr Coachmann sir.  If you could find suitable bits to convert one a 'Grange' might make a route towards a 'Manor' as suggested above.  M&L used to do a rather nice cast kit to convert a Mainline 'Manor' to a 'Grange' but nobody has ever seemed to try to go the other.

Incidentally it was someone in the manufacturing part of the trade who told me about all GWR 4-6-0s looking the same, or at least that was what he thought their customers' seemed to think.

• Like 2

Sorry Mr Coachmann sir.  If you could find suitable bits to convert one a 'Grange' might make a route towards a 'Manor' as suggested above.  M&L used to do a rather nice cast kit to convert a Mainline 'Manor' to a 'Grange' but nobody has ever seemed to try to go the other.

Incidentally it was someone in the manufacturing part of the trade who told me about all GWR 4-6-0s looking the same, or at least that was what he thought their customers' seemed to think.

It's okay Mr.Stationmaster me 'ol rascal. I feel the Bachmann Manor body needs a lot doing to it including removal of the moulded boiler bands and I never did get any enjoyment from building loco chassis.  

In my imagination the Ruabon to Corwen section was upgraded to red route with Government funding during World War One for coal moments and was seen as a vital alternative route to the north Wales coast via Ruthin.  The LNWR and GWR companies enjoyed reciprocal rights (with restrictions) although they were not used again until BR days. Granges were no strangers in reality at Ruabon.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 7

A weighbridge was made from a piece of Wills chequer-plate moulding and weathered. The building too, then both were bedded in....

post-6680-0-88745100-1502898117_thumb.jpg

A view from the yard entrance showing the virtually completed coal yard...

post-6680-0-20237100-1502899126_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Looks very good, Larry. Glad you decided to go with the plainer building.

Are you tempted to model a mineral wagon at the end of the siding, with the side door down and propped up with an old pit prop or similar, to allow the local coalman to unload directly to his lorry?

• Like 4

Are you tempted to model a mineral wagon at the end of the siding, with the side door down and propped up with an old pit prop or similar, to allow the local coalman to unload directly to his lorry?

Bloody 'ell Captain, has Mystic Meg got a sausage outlet near you or have you got one of the new Blue-ray crystal balls...?

post-6680-0-31574600-1502900385.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

"Propping up or otherwise fixing wagon doors....STRICTLY FORBIDDEN"

Southern Railway Enamel Sign....the LBSCR had similar!

28_v.jpg

Taken from....

http://ukrailwayana.com/20130005/catalogue.htm

The GWR version is a Cast Iron sign....

gallery_12119_2911_818109.jpg

Taken From....

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/g-w-railwayana-auctions-ltd/catalogue-id-srgw10003/lot-e1ce2140-a208-4512-8fad-a44800f3d526

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Bloody 'ell Captain, has Mystic Meg got a sausage outlet near you or have you got one of the new Blue-ray crystal balls...?

attachicon.gifWEB Ow'd wagon..jpg

No, sorry Coach, Mystic Meg's was closed down last year on 'Elf n'Safety grounds and I've only got old-fashioned steam-powered crystal balls at the moment.

Under-baseboard work this afternoon....The uncoupler solenoid....

post-6680-0-37102900-1502999291.jpg

Gaugemaster uncouplers in situ.  They had both been sprayed Sleeper Grime and were still wet when photographed tonight....

post-6680-0-06885300-1502999293.jpg

When using Kaydee's, there was a lot of spring between wagons. Tension locks have eliminated that and the ramps look better than magnets. They couple up first time without having to fit some sort of braking on every wagon. Finally, the uncouplers do what it says on the packet.  It would be neat if they were as quiet as Peco surface mounted point motors; but hey....Shunting has been sorted at last and everything I buy RTR is RTR.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

It would be neat if they were as quiet as Peco surface mounted point motors

Hi Coachmann,

I have just installed some of these on a layout, and they can be made to operate silently!! You just need to use 12v DC rather than the usual 16v AC.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They may have had signs but did those concerned take note?

Exactly so - and why were the signs produced in the first place?  Propping of coal wagon doors was still going on in quieter spots in the early 1970s and no doubt the Carrog Stationmaster might well have suffered occasional blindness when walking round the goods yard ;)

• Like 1