CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Larry, is your ash ballast, er, ash, or a commercial product please?

edit - that managed to post 4 times, sorry!

Always real ash courtesy PGH of this forum (Moving Coal layout thread). I did use Woodland Scenic's ash on one occasion, but thereafter I used real ash from industrial sites. 

• RMweb Premium

Always real ash courtesy PGH of this forum (Moving Coal layout thread). I did use Woodland Scenic's ash on one occasion, but thereafter I used real ash from industrial sites. 

Thanks.  I have a supply at hand as I'm a driver at Groudle Glen - when I'm fit again, anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Just been looking at some of your photos of Carrog (the prototype). I think it's fortunate that on WR preserved lines we still have goods yards, like on 'my' railway Bewdley, Arley, Highley, in a way Bridgnorth and I guess Hampton Loade all retain their goods yards/sidings. Not however their goods sheds :(

Last time I was in Bridgnorth, the goods shed was still there, but was being used as the engineering workshop. Arley and Highley may have only had a goods lockup, I would need to check my references to be sure.

The yard at Carrog holds materials and two coaches acting as bookshops. It would be neat if one track held the goods train that is currently stored at Glyndyfrdwy, as it would give waiting passengers something historical to look at .....And make the yard look active! In the final steam days, the yard was host to a GWR clerestory Camping Coach, so it is probable that freight went to Corwen. 

I won't be having a Camping Coach on 4mm Carrog. Instead it will be a working yard providing end loading facility, cattle, oil, coal, agricultural equipment and animal feed.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

Old plywood was used to make the embankment side or batter. This was cut with a jigsaw with the base plate re positioned at an angle....

post-6680-0-12992000-1493389303.jpg

Screwed firmly into place as a base for vinyl ReadyGrass. Crumpled newspaper will be used to form the other side of the embankment due to limited space for a drill/screwdriver....

post-6680-0-32781800-1493389304.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

You could drill vertical holes in the main baseboard for the rear embankment, then attach the screws from underneath.

But you've probably laid the grass by now...

Edited by Stubby47

You could drill vertical holes in the main baseboard for the rear embankment, then attach the screws from underneath.

Spot on Stubby.  I found that drilling into the embankment had split the plywood near the door and put a hump in the track. It didn't occur to me until afterwards I should have drilled downwards into the baseboard. A short section of track will have to be relaid tomorrow.

ReadyGrass 'Spring Grass'  vinyl mat was glued to the embankment and field with Evostik and then pressed down and formed using the Woodlands Scenics heatgun. None of it is new, as it was recovered from the Delph Branch layout a couple of years ago and, being pre-formed to suit a previous location, it was impossible to get it to lie flat even with the heatgun.....

post-6680-0-96889200-1493398281.jpg

The space between the ballast and the grass was filled with ash glued down with neat PVA. It will look better tomorrow after it has been filed down to dust.....

post-6680-0-39718000-1493398283.jpg

post-6680-0-35500700-1493399230.jpg

The real thing photographed this week....

post-6680-0-87608800-1493398284.jpg

Finally, who could forget these locos on the Carrog- Paris frog & chips special, known as the Up DeGaulle....

post-6680-0-00188400-1493399581_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 19

Hi Larry this will look great when it's all finished, a nice 2 car x Bachmann 108 plodding along this line will look the dogs "I know where there are one or two going cheap  :angel: .... pm me" you could stick a look a like of Mr Morgan "West Kirby Town" in the cab and run the layout as preserved  :senile:

Best regards

Craig.

post-6680-0-35500700-1493399230.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

Hi Larry, NO your NOT the first to rip up Bull Head, mine went to the Dump, hahah.

EDIT = To say, it's looking really nice now with that revers curve and camber.

Edited by Andrew P

All there was time for today was the making of the basic Up platform. I always cut them from plywood and then clad them in plastikard and cork. They can be screwed down from under the baseboard and one always has a level platform that can be drilled to take fittings and fencing....

post-6680-0-88837900-1493573015.jpg

A great deal of time was spent converting feet to millimeters from my diary of measurements. The platform takes five coaches while the real one takes six. This meant a boatload of juggling; Too short at one end would not leave enough room for buildings, so i compromised in the end. However, it means the sidings will have to be extended...

post-6680-0-29709500-1493573017.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16

After first taking a paper template off the track, the curve was then marked onto the plywood...

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog platform 3.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog platform 4.jpg

The Up and down platform 'innards'. The cock-eyed ramps can be ignored, as they won't affect the external construction....

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog platform 5.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog platform 6.jpg

Looking good pal, I must come round for a chat before you rip this one up. I missed the O layout !

We are doing the club's Deganwy layout with Peco bullhead too. Have done the curve from Junction alongside the cottages so far and very pleased with it . Looking forward to the points.

Merf.

• Like 1

Looking good pal, I must come round for a chat before you rip this one up. I missed the O layout !

We are doing the club's Deganwy layout with Peco bullhead too. Have done the curve from Junction alongside the cottages so far and very pleased with it . Looking forward to the points.

Merf.

Hi Merf,

The 0 gauge version never got going apart from placing points and odd lengths of track on the old baseboards to work out the space required. Carrog in 00 started as a slow burn, but it has got me out of the house visiting the real location and the model has turned out to be a really absorbing choice. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

Up with the lark this morning sorting out the garden loop. I decided to use Peco Streamline Code 75 for external use this time seeing as the bit that was exposed to the elements last year looks no worse for wear than the Code 100. The first move was to link together eight yards of track in a rough curve around the boards. The code 75 was certainly easier to manipulate than the code 100 especially at rail joints.....

post-6680-0-10355100-1493897890.jpg

Sleepers were then drilled and Peco track nails inserted......

post-6680-0-57611600-1493897891.jpg

The curve was then nailed down against a 3ft radius template. Job done.....

post-6680-0-86408100-1493897892.jpg

I thought the waterproof entrance might be of interest....

post-6680-0-67578200-1493897893.jpg

And this is it with the tunnel slid into position. No rain got in last year but a loco once entered the shed with a web plastered across the smokebox and a spider on the Tender was bringing coal down....

post-6680-0-56569000-1493897894.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 18

Watch that it won't be stolen by metal thieves! No seriously, I remember for James May's first attempt at the longest model railway in the world track was stolen or damaged towards Bideford.

Having ticked the outside loop box as done this morning, I was encouraged by the excellent weather to re-do the points leading to the platforms at Carrog. Readers may recall I backed off using the Peco USA Code 83 large radius points at the last minute. Anyway, they are now doing the job they were bought for, that of giving a smooth entry and exit at Carrog station. This is a general view of the completed re-lay..... 

post-6680-0-78892500-1493924947_thumb.jpg

The rails have not been painted on the 'blind' side...

post-6680-0-35081500-1493924949.jpg

All the old cork was chiseled off and new cork glued down before it was given super-elevation with an electric sander. As before, the camber was maintained through the points to the down platform...

post-6680-0-32530800-1493924950.jpg

....As well as the points to the Up platform.....

post-6680-0-04900800-1493924953.jpg

However, track to the yard does not have a camber.......

post-6680-0-99232100-1493924953.jpg

A lot of materials arrived today including 20 feet of  I D vinyl Backscenes, more ReadyGrass and Peco platform edging and ramps.  Points are also in stock for the fiddle yard, so painting on a broad canvass will continue for some weeks to come before detail work starts. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16