CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Looks good Larry, any chance of a visit with Mr Jints for a nosey and a paned when I am next that way ?

Best regards

Craig.

Why not.  There won't be anything running though, as I don't usually wire up controllers until all the dirty work etc has been done.

As you may have guessed, the Code 83 points are not attached to adjacent Code 75 rails. I simply skimmed some meat off the top of the cork until the railheads lined up as near as dammit. Plenty of neat PVA was spread and the track and points laid in it and ballasted.Some key areas were pinned to line rails up and form curves, but I relied on the timber and book weights to flatten all the rails to the same height, which they did very successfully. 

A free-running Hornby coach was send down the track at high speed to test the complex. It is smooth enough, although no match for some handbuilt pointwork I saw yesterday at a pals house. I had declined his generous offer to build my points a few weeks ago, but when she showed me a wagon cutting through his # 8 points, that was the moment I decided to lay those American # 8 points!

post-6680-0-81890200-1493937258_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Larry,

How do you think the bullnose track sleepers spacings are in comparison to say C&L?

Or are they still the standard Peco spacings?

I just find it hard to tell in the pics.

Khris

I have no C+L track to make comparisons with, but I suspect all the bullheads sleeper spacing's are much of a sameness.  With Peco bullhead at the top, a comparison is made below with DC Concepts bullhead track....

post-6680-0-12429300-1493974203.jpg

However, I don't get to hung up on this kind of thing seeing as the sleeper spacing can alter during laying of track as shown below....

post-6680-0-32529900-1493974204.jpg

My choices would be Peco when thick sleeprs are wanted and SMP when thin sleepers are wanted. I used the 'Concepts track becasue i had some. The rail is not held firmly by the chairs and this has lead to all sorts of difficulties. Add to that the stainless steel rail and having to grip it with pliers before cutting to stop it twisting, and then the soldering which isn't like soldering nickel silver, and it is a track I could live without.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Carrog will be just the place for one or more of the newly released Bachmann Coal Tanks. Nice project, look forward to regular updates.

A BR livery 'Coal Tank' will indeed work on the line, but it will have to be on a steam gala weekend.  

I always find the subject of era or period a vexed one full of diametrically opposed parameters. A less posh way of saying it is, life's a sh*t. There are many things about the early 1950's that I like such as blood & custard livery, pre-1923 coaches and various loco classes that were hanging on by the skin of their teeth. But then throw my preference for lined green ex.GWR locos into the mix and we are suddenly into the mid to late 1950's. In the end, I usually plump for circa 1957. It means I can just scrape in a Dean Goods for the daily goods working. Pretending it is a red route also allows me to run Halls in lieu of non-existent Manor Class locos and Moguls. The newly acquired Britannia is under review. It will be repainted and finished as 'Western Star' but it's 'period' will depend on whether I can obtain Western Region smoke deflectors or not. I know someone used to etch them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A BR livery 'Coal Tank' will indeed work on the line, but it will have to be on a steam gala weekend.  

I always find the subject of era or period a vexed one full of diametrically opposed parameters. A less posh way of saying it is, life's a sh*t. There are many things about the early 1950's that I like such as blood & custard livery, pre-1923 coaches and various loco classes that were hanging on by the skin of their teeth. But then throw my preference for lined green ex.GWR locos into the mix and we are suddenly into the mid to late 1950's. In the end, I usually plump for circa 1957. It means I can just scrape in a Dean Goods for the daily goods working. Pretending it is a red route also allows me to run Halls in lieu of non-existent Manor Class locos and Moguls. The newly acquired Britannia is under review. It will be repainted and finished as 'Western Star' but it's 'period' will depend on whether I can obtain Western Region smoke deflectors or not. I know someone used to etch them.

Modelmasters (the old Jackson-Evans range).

Slowly progressing towards a further extension with two holes from the shed to the outside world. The previous extension board will not work due to the position of the track and so posts and covered plywood will be used...

post-6680-0-69906800-1494168131.jpg

post-6680-0-09776000-1494168133_thumb.jpg

Fiddle yard also roughly laid out and awaiting insulated rail joiners and fixing down straight. Instead of cramming in as many roads as possible (they were never fully utilized on previous layouts), tracks are spread out this time so that I can lift models off the track. The nearest end leaves some desk space to do some modelling within the shed....

post-6680-0-59684100-1494168190_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 19

Coming on well Larry, it's a good length Fiddle Yard mate.

Thanks Andrew. The running line is the one nearest the windows. Auto trains will be stabled in the two dead-end sidings off this line. The rest are storage tracks and are more than enough going off past experience, as I only take out what I need during a session. Already I need to thin out the loco collection, as the prospect of buying all the required sound decoders is a bit daunting.

I take no credit for this......It is a straight out of the Hornby box GWR 'Grange' and I decided to get one while a few remain available. This one is from the NRM. At a glance, the raised running plate over the cylinders is redolent of the 'Manor' Class, which for Carrog is a definite plus. I generally go for weathered locos as it saves me spraying the chassis with all its attendant risks, but the weathered superstructure has grown on me and I am in two minds now whether to put it through the paintshop or not. And yes, I have spotted the Tender handrail is not in its hole....

post-6680-0-36405100-1494338710_thumb.jpg

This engine will replace a DC Bachmann Modified 'Hall' with Brassmaster front end and full repaint. Any takers....? Please PM me.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 13

Nice Grange. From York or Shildon?

I might be quite interested in the 'Modified Hall' (depending on the price) - is it in BR livery?

Please PM me if you're desperate to get rid of it and I'll consider it.

Below is the modified Modified Hall showing conversion and after complete repaint etc. It has actually barely run apart from being tested.  Anyone who had bought locos off me know i don't charge nearly as much as you might expect. On this loco I won't even get back the cost of the original Bachmann purchase...

post-6680-0-30357000-1494356585.jpg

post-6680-0-63834400-1494356586_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The fiddle yard was nailed down today so that the major part of the layout is now laid. PGH of this forum is making a CAD of the garden extension that has yet to be built at the other end of the shed. The covered external shelf has been removed in readiness. A work area was also created where, at long last, i will be able to find all my small tools in the one place.....

post-6680-0-66342500-1494432833.jpg

A Hornby GWR Hawksworth corridor third arrived today for Carrog services. No sooner was it out of its box than it was having the bottom part sprayed in a lighter shade of 'carmine'....

post-6680-0-29555500-1494433279_thumb.jpg 

The interior partition was sprayed a ighter brown and the compartments partitions painted BR cream. The real panels were cream 'Holoplast'. After applying a running number, the lower half was sprayed satin varnish then Kadee couplers fitted. Such jobs as this are stocking fillers while I am doing something else.... Thanks to the photos, I have since picked out the handles!

post-6680-0-73636500-1494433280_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 19

Ooooh very nice Larry ........ now when I go to see Mr Jint's I take the following along, would this be enough to bribe Mr Goddard for a visit to Carrog Towers ?

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-40904800-1494449557.jpgpost-8721-0-94778900-1494449578.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

Going to need a big piece of Perspex to cover that rear shelf

Ah, though jesteth.     :biggrin_mini2:  Old materials will be used to build a long narrow cover to go over the points outside of the shed to protect the them and and a solenoid.  This line on stilts arrangement will give me better access with a lawn mower....I kept banking me head on the old shelf and the lawn underneath wasn't getting much sun.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Ah, though jesteth.     :biggrin_mini2:  Old materials will be used to build a long narrow cover to go over the points outside of the shed to protect the them and and a solenoid.  This new arrangement will give me better access with a lawn mower....I kept banking me head on the old shelf and the lawn underneath wasn't getting much sun.

Why not put a Marquee over the whole Garden? hahahha

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We can supply WR (and LMR) smpke deflectors for Britannias.

Judith and Michael Edge

We can supply WR (and LMR) smpke deflectors for Britannias.

Judith and Michael Edge

Dear Mike, Your post is appreciated, however, since posting on 6th May, I have come across two W.Region Brits that retained original smoke deflectors into the period I have set while acquiring the single large step under the smokebox door.  The less I have to do at the moment, the better.

Cheers,

Larry