CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Marginally more likely to have been seen at Greenfield rather than Carrog......? Only joking.

Was the prototype photo taken at London Road?

Dave.

It was taken behind Manchester Central in the early 1960s. It was 1961 or 1962, no later. It was a cold day I remember.

I am sure Pacific's only got to Greenfield during steam hereafter. By the time they left the West Coast, the Standedge route was in the capable hands of English Electric Type 4's, which didn't require double heading.

• Like 1

Do you think the new Hornby model of City of Birmingham will be to the same standard?  If, so. . . .

I am seriously tempted!

Edit to add:

I went to the storage unit today and retrieved my half completed 14XX and Dean Goods OO gauge models.  I have enough projects on the go already but I could not leave them to rot while you are discussing both models!  Whether I actually have the time and inclination to work on them remains to be seen, but if I do, it's all your fault!

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 2

This lovely machine arrived by post today as a complete surprise and has given me the opportunity to see the new crimson lake 'in the flesh'. I haven't any brass coaches in to compare but it looks like Hornby got it right. Thank goodness they did not ruin its depth with a chalky white varnish; The sheen looks just right on a model and I dare say both could considerably improve the appearance of Hornby's coaches.  

Seen undergoing clearance tests in Carrog yard in preparation for the coming Santa Specials....  :smoke:

attachicon.gifWEB Duchess 9.jpg

But, but, but....it is Crimson Lake....NOT GWR green :jester:

It should be green!

Khris

This lovely machine arrived by post today as a complete surprise and has given me the opportunity to see the new crimson lake 'in the flesh'. I haven't any brass coaches in to compare but it looks like Hornby got it right. Thank goodness they did not ruin its depth with a chalky white varnish; The sheen looks just right on a model and I dare say both could considerably improve the appearance of Hornby's coaches.  

Seen undergoing clearance tests in Carrog yard in preparation for the coming Santa Specials....  :smoke:

A Collett support coach was borrowed from the SVR ...

attachicon.gifWEB Duchess 11.jpg

I took this 55 years ago in another goods yard nearer my birthplace....

attachicon.gifWEB Duchess 3.jpg

Now at is what I call a loco. Ivatt's version of Stanier's masterpiece. Shame about the pony truck or I'd have one myself. Keep up the excellent work. Trevor

But, but, but....it is Crimson Lake....NOT GWR green :jester:

It should be green!

Khris

I know....shame on me.  However, green could not match BR maroon on these Ivatt's..............Sir William looked so regal, in fact 'Salford never looked quite as impressive and seemed to be less popular with lineside photographers.

• RMweb Premium

I know....shame on me.  However, green could not match BR maroon on these Ivatt's..............Sir William looked so regal, in fact 'Salford never looked quite as impressive and seemed to be less popular with lineside photographers.

Mike Edge's 00 model of City of Salford looked pretty impressive in BR blue...

Larry

I just made the expensive mistake of looking at the instructions for Finney7's re-issue of the Princess Coronation.  I doubt if my skills are sufficient for this kit but the build photos do look superb.  I met the Finney7 team at Telford in September and was most impressed with their dedication, knowledge and expertise.

The net result is that I won't be ordering a Hornby City of Birmingham, but if I win the lottery. . . . I might buy both.

My baseboards for module 1 of Penmaenpool have been fabricated so I hope to start laying track at the end of next week.  Your stellar progress with Carrog is a great motivator to get things done.

Paul

• Like 1

A Collett support coach was borrowed from the SVR ...

attachicon.gifWEB Duchess 11.jpg

I took this 55 years ago in another goods yard nearer my birthplace....

attachicon.gifWEB Duchess 3.jpg

Manchester Central 24 March 1962

Strangely my shot has  the front of your shot  and yours has the back of mine !

post-1161-0-39751200-1510323510_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Manchester Central 24 March 1962

Strangely my shot has  the front of your shot  and yours has the back of mine !

Wow, just before my 20th birthday. And look at that rain!  Your very evocative picture in colour really brings it all back to me. And it is sad in many ways... 

Edited by coachmann

I like the BR (GWR) coach....I am planning to have a few coaches and wagons in pre BR livery....worn....along with the BR locos still holding onto GWR and NE livery.

Looking at photos, it does seem entirely plausable for the old liveries to have lasted well into BR times, possibly even post 1956....

The SR is a case in point....as they used to re-varnish Southern Rilaeay green coaches rather then re-paint into BR livery...

Indeed some coaches never carried any BR livery, until they were "allowed" to be painted green again! Post 1956!

I like the BR (GWR) coach....I am planning to have a few coaches and wagons in pre BR livery....worn....along with the BR locos still holding onto GWR and NE livery.

Looking at photos, it does seem entirely plausable for the old liveries to have lasted well into BR times, possibly even post 1956....

The SR is a case in point....as they used to re-varnish Southern Rilaeay green coaches rather then re-paint into BR livery...

Indeed some coaches never carried any BR livery, until they were "allowed" to be painted green again! Post 1956!

Judging by published photos and cine-to-video films, the Western Region did not hang about once BR had determined its standard liveries in 1949. Compare this with the other big-three where LMS maroon, LNER teak and particularly SR green (as you said) could still be found in quite large numbers in 1953-4. 

The cream on GWR coaches interested me as it appeared to go yellower and darker during the war years until it was virtually indistinguishable from very weathered brown. There is reason to believe a more yellowish cream was applied during the Hawksworth era, and I noticed the Severn Valley has actually carried this out on coaches with the post-war double waist lining. I have spotted other small livery detail changes and so for me, the SVR is at the forefront of carriage restoration.

• Like 2

I came to the conclusion I will have to have marked wagons with 'brakes' that will always have to be at the end of wagons being propelled. The answer was to wrap masking tape around one axle until it is wound thickly enough to bear on something on the undergear. 

When propelling loose fitted (unfitted) wagons into sidings on the level or a falling gradient, in the 70s, I was taught to always pin down (so they rubbed not fully on) one or two of the lead wagons - so if things broke away when I stopped the loco they would not run away, so your idea is prototypically correct.

Keep up the great work.

Best

Chris

• Like 2

When propelling loose fitted (unfitted) wagons into sidings on the level or a falling gradient, in the 70s, I was taught to always pin down (so they rubbed not fully on) one or two of the lead wagons - so if things broke away when I stopped the loco they would not run away, so your idea is prototypically correct.

Keep up the great work.

Best

Chris

I can remember being told to lift the brake handle out of the rest at the top of the slide and let it drop down and just sit with the blocks against the wheels.  Then you could push down on the lever without having to lift it first.  You could always push down and get the pin in one hole, then the brakes just rubbed.  Stopped the wagons moving after you pulled away.  Always a nuisance when wagons knocked off wanted to follow you out of the siding....

• Like 2