CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

I like the new coach livery....I presume the mark where the GWR crest was painted over is "on purpose"....a nice touch... ;)

This last GWR livery is that which I am planning to have on the few GWR livery coaches hangin on 'til 1952-54 on Ffrwd Locks...with new W prefixes, but possibly without the W suffix....

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Premium

Having had similar problems with rolling stock being too free running at times and especially when shunting I now smear - don't laugh - car grease into/onto the bearings/axle ends. The old LMP stuff. It still lets things revolve but being 'stiff' stops over-free running. Might be worth a go.

Izzy

The sound has been re-blown by YouChoos in two of the locos, one being the 38XX with 28XX sound. The day was spend adjusting CV's to extend coasting and many other things including making the active steam brake less aggressive. It became obvious from listening ot real GWR 2-8-0's on YouTube that these machines are rather quiet in the chassis area and so the clanking was all-but removed. These soundfiles can be adjusted to sound differently when installed in more than one loco. The reversing was necessary to uncouple the Kadee couplings....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16

The 46XX 0-6-0PT sound was sorted today. The earlier decoder has been replaced with the same YouChoos 28XX soundfile as in the 38XX 2-8-0 (Zimo 648 decoder and with a shallower Flame10 speaker). It has been set up to suit a quieter loco when coasting and at rest. This short video gives a sample of it on a Bala-Wrexham passenger train....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

Re. quieter loco sounds.  A few weeks ago I was at Toddington where a Hall was on duty.  It was very quiet indeed on the approach from Cheltenham and while moving around the station.  I have never tried filming such events (with an iPhone) but it seems that would be a good idea.

Hi Larry.

I can see your thinking here I think....

The Kadee droppers would be adjusted to hit the uncoupling parts of the PECO Simplex / Hornby Dublo / Trix (etc.) SL-31.

https://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3309,3322&CAT_ID=3325&P_ID=17323

Intersting idea, though I have not tried it....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry

You may have already heard this from others, but I use a chopstick for manual Kadee uncoupling. I sharpen it to a point by slicing it down on 4 sides, so you end up with a point and 4 sides. You then put the point between the Kadee jaw and twist, the voila, uncoupled.

Cheers

Tony

The reason for coupling and uncoupling problems was answered this morning. A few weeks ago I fitted a few tension lock couplings between set rakes of wagons for a couple of days. Prior to the removal of the Kadees, they had all been carefully set up, but all I did was stuff them back into the NEM sockets without re-setting their heights. To compound this, some weren't accompanied by a sliver of 5thou plastikard, to keep them tight in the socket. 

The Bachmann 64XX tank had its decoder re-blown last weekend with YouChoos sound, so it is back in service on the auto train diagram. The fella in the Austin Somerset must spend all day on the bridge....

post-6680-0-40417300-1511450932_thumb.jpg

• Like 16