CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Love the sound Larry,

However I was completely taken by the superb weathering of the autocoach!

Glad you like it Dave. I spent some time mixing a colour suitable for rolling stock underframes before arriving at something that looked fine both in the flesh and on film. Everything new gets a spray-over although the amount of cover varies. It complements the colours I mixed for locos. The latter don't get weathered until they enter traffic with sound fitted, but rolling stock is usually weathered straight away. I do not weather coach sides because they were regularly washed in steam days, however, the paint finish is varied from matt to semi-gloss. 

Edited by coachmann

Here's another video but in the opposite direction. Locos on these lightweight auto trailers are barely working and so light exhausts are typical.....Unless you hire one for a photographers charter and demand fireworks and burning tyres!  :smoke:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

The overall sound picture you’ve got there Larry is so spot on. I know I’ve said it before but having those loops outside just really makes the way the sound increases and decreases just perfect. I do like the loco being quieter on coasting, but then preserved locos are usually a lot tighter than in steam days, so it’s your preference I reckon as to whether to have more clank or not.

Cheers

Tony

I've just put a couple of Videos of the Jinty on my Penybont thread, it's just along the line from you, so you never know, a Jinty could be heading to Carrog very soon, all be it a little on the LARGE size, hahah. 

View from my studio this morning, so blow model railways................I'm staying indoors...

attachicon.gifWEB room with a vew..jpg

We had almost the same here this morning, so we haven't taken the Greyhound down for a run at Wolverhampton Retired Greyhound Kennels.

Staying indoors doing some Painting today me thinks. :sungum:

• Like 3

Not that cold in Languedoc but the wind chill makes it feel that way. Plans for the new railway room won’t be affected by the weather outside which maybe a good thing.

Mine railway room was indoors in the early sixties before family expansion, but I do value being outdoors in the fresh air, in touch with reality. Planning is always a good part and the projected layout is always perfect. Then we start and keep going until the nightmares surface; At least that's what I have always found. Carrog was a trial, a new departure that I hoped would be seen through to completion because it was small. But it would benefit from a revision and so I'm back planning again!

Mine railway room was indoors in the early sixties before family expansion, but I do value being outdoors in the fresh air, in touch with reality. Planning is always a good part and the projected layout is always perfect. Then we start and keep going until the nightmares surface; At least that's what I have always found. Carrog was a trial, a new departure that I hoped would be seen through to completion because it was small. But it would benefit from a revision and so I'm back planning again!

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooLARRY. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Yuppppppppppppppppppppppp.   :pardon:

Maybe 'development' would be a better description. Carrog got me this far, but apart from fast trains slowing for token exchange, stoppers and the occasion yard shunt, there is not enough operational interest and the yard needs altering to suit Kadee couplings. 

Yeah but,,,,,,,,No But,,,,,,,,,,No Larry,   What I mean is Noooooooo, but yeah, it won't be the BEAUTIFUL CARROG that we all love so much.

Hi Larry,

I've seen the light and gone over to the dark side. Commencing in O Gauge has certainly got my "mojo" back and for an indoor winter project I've started on a small Brunellian station building...

post-20303-0-26849900-1512073979_thumb.jpeg

Much like Carrog and your idea of foreshortening the scene in O Gauge I'm sure you'll manage to get a similar feel.

I'm with you on the change over to O for this one and will watch with great interest.

Grahame

• Like 5

I don't know, I take a breather for a couple of days (wedding anniversary) and you're on the move again.....

I have a sneaky admiration for you Larry as I fully understand the demons that get in our heads every now and then..... :biggrin_mini2:

The admiration comes from the fact that unlike most of us mere mortals, you are a superhuman layout builder and turn in a masterpiece in a matter of weeks, so I can't wait to see the next generation of Carrog.

Good luck with your new venture. :good:

It will be another brilliant layout.

Edited by gordon s