CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

An RTR wheelbarrow.... did it come weathered?

No, that was all part of Larry's attempt at modifying and detailing RTR stock as he partly outlined in post 126, he just forgot about the weathering bit.

Edited by Rowsley17D

Progress.....The old wheelbarrow had a service before starting. Glued on handle sheaths, put air in tyre and oiled axle. Two holes hit a rockery. Note special spade for digging small round holes..... 

attachicon.gifWEB extension 4.jpg

Looks like you've had an alien spacecraft land outside your shed!

May I ad also as a gardener I wouldn't want your soil type either !

Bob

Edited by BobM

Nice to see a hole digging spade used for, indeed, digging holes :)

Using the right tool for the job is always a good idea - Then a "poor workman" cannot blame them ;)

It does indeed make the digging of holes vastly easier and it is all-welded and very strong. Made in Wigan!

Rail stopped play this morning though, still we cannot complain after a week of sun.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It does indeed make the digging of holes vastly easier and it is all-welded and very strong. Made in Wigan!

Rail stopped play this morning though, still we cannot complain after a week of sun.

As it should!

Hi, Larry

Good to see your progress at Carrog. I have also been doing some scenicing (American English!) on Legge Lane. My rust paint is much lighter than yours, perhaps Canadian rust is that way as I bought the jar in Calgary?

Your shed/garden concept will be adopted if only I could find a suitable property. This has been a major project the past week but so far no luck in the search.

Paul

• Like 1

Good luck finding a suitable property for you 0 gauge plans Paul.  PGH and I sank the posts in concrete this afternoon. A small amount of concrete was put in the hole for the post to stand on, as this hopefully protects the wood. Then wooden wedges were hammered around the base while ensuring with spirit-level that the post was perfectly upright. Then concrete and small chipping were added a bit at a time while adding water.

post-6680-0-58909700-1495311155.jpg

post-6680-0-51010600-1495311152.jpg

post-6680-0-10533300-1495311154.jpg

• Like 12

Good luck finding a suitable property for you 0 gauge plans Paul.  PGH and I sank the posts in concrete this afternoon. A small amount of concrete was put in the hole for the post to stand on, as this hopefully protects the wood. Then wooden wedges were hammered around the base while ensuring with spirit-level that the post was perfectly upright. Then concrete and small chipping were added a bit at a time while adding water.

attachicon.gifWEB Extension 8.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB extension 6.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Extension 7.jpg

You might just as well remove that area of Grass now Larry, and Gravel the area so you don't have to Mow or Trim around the Post's.

Looks very good though.

You might just as well remove that area of Grass now Larry, and Gravel the area so you don't have to Mow or Trim around the Post's.

I know what you mean Andy, but that would entail some more spadework, lots of it in fact to remove 3 inches of grass and soil, but down screed and then chippings. Problem then remains, what to do with all the removed soil........... I ain't got nowhere to put it anymore. The grass has never been a problem to mow within the first loop we built and it is the same 3 feet diameter, and besides ~ I like grass...    :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Looking good, but aren't those gradients more S&C than Llangollen?

Excellent progress Larry but I do wonder if you neighbours might be starting to worry that you are building a pagan ritual site ...... :jester:    just don't start dancing between the posts would be my advice  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

It must have looked like a pagan dance when I was jumping on sods around the posts (no not the armchair type).  :mosking:   Horizontal bars will be firmly attached then the posts can be shortened....

post-6680-0-37503600-1495367938.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Goodness, Larry, you have a clothes line prop just like we had at home when I was a kid!  I modified it to knock apples off an adjacent Ellison's Orange tree

The layout of the garden parts looks great.  My own design, with 6ft radius curves, will need a larger space for 7mm.  I did find a building plot last week but I don't trust the people who own it and would build a house on it for me (the on-line ad included a price for lot+maison, but now they tell me the price is for the lot only!)  The proverbial barge pole. . . .

Paul

French funny goings on Paul. Sounds a bit like Spain. The garden view shows how easily her indoors and 0 gauge would have come into conflict on big wash days!  I had planned to work on the loop today but, after a good start, it is turning out to be a lazy-day.

At least a start has been made on the platforms. I am using Peco platform edging that I reduced in height by about 3mm prior to gluing the parts together. The field on the Down side (left hand side of picture) is up to platform level after so many feet (I have a measurement somewhere!). The approach road to the goods yard is at platform level and dipped quite sharply to track level in BR days. Today it is a gradual slope formed by ballast chippings and so it look me a while to work out how things were in pre-restoration days. The signal box is there merely for positioning and will not be used on this layout....

post-6680-0-74043400-1495376161.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

The final link went in this morning plus another coat of creosote. There is an ever-so-slight gradient over the final two lengths to the shed front opening.

Gradients present no problems on DCC, in fact they are a boon when 'sound-fitted' locos sense the grade automatically and increase the exhaust sound, or coast downgrade...

post-6680-0-20596200-1495452174.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Hi Larry.

I never cease to be amazed at your rate of progress - no sooner the germ of an idea but you've got it done. I'd still be thinking about thinking about it! I hope the real Mary is fine and has not been replaced by some lengths of timber!

Regards,

Dave.

P.S. No recent progress with Delph/Holt, but at least it's still there.

Hi Larry.

I never cease to be amazed at your rate of progress - no sooner the germ of an idea but you've got it done. I'd still be thinking about thinking about it! I hope the real Mary is fine and has not been replaced by some lengths of timber!

Regards,

Dave.

P.S. No recent progress with Delph/Holt, but at least it's still there.

Hi Dave, so good to hear from you.  I must admit I did wonder about Delpholt and I had looked around RMweb Blogs for updates.  It has been an afternoon of updating my maths after seemingly cutting the wrong kind of radius in the plywood! However, it matches the original extension top radius so a lot of time was spent cogitating. And to cap it all, my trusty but rather illegal jigsaw suddenly shed its front end along with the some roller bearings, so I've now got a shiny brandnew one. It projects a fluorescent beam .... Wow 21st Century! 

Ah well, back to the graft.....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Cracking progress Larry looking very good it's amazing how much can get done when the suns shines in Wales ........ have to say it does look as though your shed has grown 'Love Handles '  :jester:  :jester:  but I'm sure the neighbours will be pleased that it now clear that you haven't joined a  pagan cult ......