CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

There would appear to quite a few of us who have lived along the diffuse boundary between the Western and Midland regions. My father trained for the Great War at Park Hall near Oswestry and that event seemed to have set his mind on the area and so we often traveled on the Paddington Birkenhead line. After he died I was taken in hand by his business partner who lived in the Portmadoc area, so the association continued, extended onto the Cambrian. Along came my stepfather who for some time worked for Doulton ceramics at Tamworth. These included my trainspotting years so I got to stand alongside the Trent Valley Line when Princess Coronations were still rampant, then take the train back to New Street, walk to Moor Street and switch to the North Warwickshire Line. Those were great LNWR, MR and GWR spotting days!

I have to admit that the other regions don’t figure in my plans and never have.

Paul

• Like 7

From what I read Paul, you had a very good time of it and  it makes me wish I had spent more of my runabout ticket days on Chester-Shrewsbury trains than on the rather quiet Cambrian Coast.

It might seem extraordinary that I was born on the LNER, but that I never model it. When I did build for myself, it was always LMS. But just as I chose to live in Wales rather than England, I chose the GWR over the railway companies of my youth.

Layout-wise, things are pretty well settled now on the GWR mainline from Chester, on which I can also run some LMS locos using Rule 1. I am aware the LM Region took the line over in early 1963, but I have no interest in modelling the 1960's. It'll be a kind of Wrexham/Ruabon or Wruabon(!), but using the well-trodden S&C track layout based on Lazonby. I have followed an evolutionary path and now feel ready for a mainline with hell-for-leather running in addition to operational shunting.  Research shows I will be able to use existing station buildings, albeit attached to GWR canopies. 

I did everything I could to Carrog short of laying double track, but Barmouth Bridge at the other end of the route was always the stumbling block to expansion due to weight restriction. The arrival of Heljans 47XX's precipitated the mind-swing to a heavier route, which in turn opens the door to 'Castles' and 'Halls'. Modelling is modelling, but it ain't nuttin' without 'fun'.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

Larry

My trainspotting days started in 1956/7 and my first cop was at Gobowen when the southbound train steamed in with a 5 digit number beginning with 4. I think it was a Black 5. I was going to Birmingham Snow Hill so quite why the train was being pulled by a LMR loco was strange. I only had a Western Region Ian Allen at the time.

As far as I am aware the only Western class not allowed north of Shrewsbury was the King 60xx.

Paul

• Like 1

From what I read Paul, you had a very good time of it and  it makes me wish I had spent more of my runabout ticket days on Chester-Shrewsbury trains than on the rather quiet Cambrian Coast.

>SNIPPED

Layout-wise, things are pretty well settled now on the GWR mainline from Chester, on which I can also run some LMS locos using Rule 1. I am aware the LM Region took the line over in early 1963, but I have no interest in modelling the 1960's. It'll be a kind of Wrexham/Ruabon or Wruabon(!), but using the well-trodden S&C track layout based on Lazonby. I have followed an evolutionary path and now feel ready for a mainline with hell-for-leather running in addition to operational shunting.  Research shows I will be able to use existing station buildings, albeit attached to GWR canopies. 

>SNIPPED

How about Rhosllanerchugog Road (OR Junction) for a name! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhosllanerchrugog

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rhosllanerchrugog/@53.0113462,-3.0530418,14.83z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487ac7f998f75891:0xa0d8b265e0a7900!8m2!3d53.013057!4d-3.057852

It is about half way between Ruabon and Wrexham (Wrecsam)....and there was a network of branch lines in the area. including one to Rhosllenerchugog itself!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruabon_Brook_Tramway

• RMweb Premium

Larry…………As far as I am aware the only Western class not allowed north of Shrewsbury was the King 60xx.

Paul

On the Michael Clemens Railway website there is a GWR route availability map (ex-Worcester shed) that can be viewed in jpeg format. It looks to have been kept updated with the last date being April 1957.

From my interpretation of the key it looks like the 60xx King Class were authorised as far north as Saltney Junction outside Chester.

The webpage: http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=634

Direct link to map: http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/download.ashx?dok=302

Edited by Banger Blue

I was wondering what I would do if I wanted to build a layout largely around watching trains go past, and primarily about enjoying the ambience of a main line but that also allowed a bit of shunting if I fancied.  It would also have to support express trains, stopping trains and a decent amount of freight traffic.  It would be nice if a stopper drew in, and was overtaken by a non-stop.  I got to thinking about how much I liked the sound of GWR four cylinder engines working fast, and how the scene would be completed by a lengthy freight clonking past...

These fitted the bill nicely.  I wonder if they could be compressed to fit inside you r shed and leaving the double track plain line outside...

post-238-0-37703000-1533476821_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-53462600-1533476832_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-77264600-1533476844_thumb.jpg

Sodding Chipbury even has over bridges in exactly the right places to mask the exit from the shed.  Ideally you would want a good 30 feet or more, but even so... with a lot of compression is it possible in your shed?

On the Michael Clemens Railway website there is a GWR route availability map (ex-Worcester shed) that can be viewed in jpeg format. It looks to have been kept updated with the last date being April 1957.

From my interpretation of the key it looks like the 60xx King Class were authorised as far north as Saltney Junction outside Chester.

The webpage: http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=634

Direct link to map: http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/download.ashx?dok=302

Interesting that the authorisation stopped short of Chester which may explain why Kings were not seen north of Shrewsbury (“very often, if at all”). My memory says that Kings were sometimes used when the Cambrian Coast Express actually went into Shewsbury. In later years the Kings were taken off at Wolverhampton when the CCE used the wye, avoiding Shrewsbury station. This is all from memory, mind and I stand to be corrected.

Paul

I was wondering what I would do if I wanted to build a layout largely around watching trains go past, and primarily about enjoying the ambience of a main line but that also allowed a bit of shunting if I fancied.  It would also have to support express trains, stopping trains and a decent amount of freight traffic.  It would be nice if a stopper drew in, and was overtaken by a non-stop.  I got to thinking about how much I liked the sound of GWR four cylinder engines working fast, and how the scene would be completed by a lengthy freight clonking past...

These fitted the bill nicely.  I wonder if they could be compressed to fit inside you r shed and leaving the double track plain line outside...

Sodding Chipbury even has over bridges in exactly the right places to mask the exit from the shed.  Ideally you would want a good 30 feet or more, but even so... with a lot of compression is it possible in your shed?

Thanks for posting. I aim to keep to two through tracks and so, except for the two through lines, the track layout is similar to that which I had in mind, Coincidence.

How about Rhosllanerchugog Road (OR Junction) for a name! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhosllanerchrugog

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rhosllanerchrugog/@53.0113462,-3.0530418,14.83z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487ac7f998f75891:0xa0d8b265e0a7900!8m2!3d53.013057!4d-3.057852

It is about half way between Ruabon and Wrexham (Wrecsam)....and there was a network of branch lines in the area. including one to Rhosllenerchugog itself!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruabon_Brook_Tramway

My trainspotting mate was a Wrexham lad but when together we always headed for Crewe! We cycled there one morning to tour the Works with a permit and also got chased out of Crewe North by the BTP. 46235 was on shed, my best cop of the day. Given the location of Croes Newydd we never tried to gain entry - in fact Stafford Road was much easier and had big engines!

I know you don’t like building buildings, Larry, but Gobowen Station, still standing, is a fine Italianate structure. There was a small yard there but Gobowen was really just a junction for the connection to Oswestry. On the other hand, all sorts of “exotic” locos did end up in Oswestry Works, including an Old Oak Common 15xx and several 9Fs. So light engine workings could be envisaged?

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that the authorisation stopped short of Chester which may explain why Kings were not seen north of Shrewsbury (“very often, if at all”).

Paul

The RCH maps show GWR finishing at Saltney Jn and Birkenhead Joint starting at the south end of Chester triangle, so Saltney to Chester South was LNWR(LMS). Could GWR authorisation stopped at Saltney, but LMS authorisation permitted them into Chester?

Another Paul.

Gemma brought my great grandson over today; a sturdy little Manc.  A 47XX was running round, so up went his arms, which roughly translated meant hold me up so I can see the thing. He noticed I pressed a button on the handset so a tiny finger pressed one too. The train stopped and he spotted this straight away, so he pressed the same button again and the loco set off again. 18 months old and he chose the same button! Having mastered DCC, he went on to set my chuff and acceleration rate rate as I carried him up and down the garden chasing the train.... :heat:

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Gemma brought my great grandson over today; a sturdy little Manc.  A 47XX was running round, so up went his arms, which roughly translated meant hold me up so I can see the thing. He noticed I pressed a button on the handset so a tiny finger pressed one too. The train stopped and he spotted this straight away, so he pressed the same button again and the loco set off again. 18 months old and he chose the same button! Having mastered DCC, he went on to set my chuff and acceleration rate rate as I carried him up and down the garden chasing the train.... :heat:

Give him another 18 months...."Grandad! The colours all wrong, and the rivets are in the wrong place! It's not a Dean Goods, is it.....?"

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifsodding chipbury.JPG

attachicon.gifbadmington.JPG

attachicon.giflittle somerford.JPG

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifsodding chipbury.JPG

attachicon.gifbadmington.JPG

attachicon.giflittle somerford.JPG

Sorry! I deleted my post because it was quite frankly, rubbish. That said, I too am interested to see how your proposed space pans out.

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi Ian

I'm not building them, I just put them as possible solutions for Larry's main line itch... 

My shed is far too small and currently contains a 1950s American shortline...

I would guess you'd need at least a shed 30 x 10 to do Sodding Chipbury justice... probably similar dimensions to Lord Wright's magnum opus?  Even then it would work best if the  unrealistic 180 degree curves were outside the shed, leaving a nice straight or gently curving run through the shed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

I'm not building them, I just put them as possible solutions for Larry's main line itch... 

My shed is far too small and currently contains a 1950s American shortline...

I would guess you'd need at least a shed 30 x 10 to do Sodding Chipbury justice... probably similar dimensions to Lord Wright's magnum opus?  Even then it would work best if the  unrealistic 180 degree curves were outside the shed, leaving a nice straight or gently curving run through the shed.

I'm still interested to see how this pans out. I can think of a dozen or more layouts I'd like to build. The trick, I guess, is keeping everything believable.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Give him another 18 months...."Grandad! The colours all wrong, and the rivets are in the wrong place! It's not a Dean Goods, is it.....?"

I remember taking my eldest grandson into Ian Allan in Manchester when he was about two years old. We had travelled in from Marple on a Class 142. Whilst I was getting what I wanted from the shelf he spotted a Hornby Pacer in Northern livery and immediately collared the shop assistant to point out that it had got the wrong type of doors.

• Like 2

I remember taking my eldest grandson into Ian Allan in Manchester when he was about two years old. We had travelled in from Marple on a Class 142. Whilst I was getting what I wanted from the shelf he spotted a Hornby Pacer in Northern livery and immediately collared the shop assistant to point out that it had got the wrong type of doors.

They all look alike to me so I can only see that as amazing for a two year old.  I wonder if he will remember the occasion in later years. I could tell an SHMD Thorneycroft bus when I was three before war ended because I drew the missing bar down the middle (dad thought it was an AEC.........dork!)

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

They all look alike to me so I can only see that as amazing for a two year old.  I wonder if he will remember the occasion in later years. I could tell an SHMD Thorneycroft bus when I was three before war ended because I drew the missing bar down the middle (dad thought it was an AEC.........dork!)

And Phil Bullock of this parish along with some of his cronies didn't need to bother looking for the number of one particular class 43 Warship - apparently British Rail never touched up the scratch in the paint which they'd created!

Not sure of the dimensions, I found some on Amazon but they don't seem right - probably the size of the packet...

But this is what it looks like from underneath...

post-238-0-08737100-1533659267.jpg

I recall them being a swine to build, and the glazing being rubbish.  But that was a long time ago...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

Not sure of the dimensions, I found some on Amazon but they don't seem right - probably the size of the packet...

But this is what it looks like from underneath...

attachicon.gifimageproxy.jpg

I recall them being a swine to build, and the glazing being rubbish.  But that was a long time ago...

Hi,

Dimensions are:

(l,w,h) 157mm x 89mm x 88mm.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Nige

That is fantastic. Thanks very much to both of you. This kind of helpful information makes RMweb worthwhile. I can plan ahead in the knowledge I am not throwing good money at something that will not do.  I am pleased to see the amount of detailing underneath seeing as it will show from above through the glazing. I want to create a light & airy platform and will be using my own glazing material. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5