4mm Bagnall 0-6-0ST etches

Hi All, 

I've approached Agenoria 0 gauge models with a view to procuring a reduced set of etches in 4mm scale for one of their 0-6-0ST "Ironstone" 15'' Bagnall locos. 

post-5089-0-89669300-1492535179.jpg

Preliminary discussions indicate that to make this viable and affordable, we would need to produce a run of 10 etches (body and chassis).

Some notes about this project

• The artwork would be adapted to 4mm scale, with suitable tolerance/clearance considerations taken into account when the artwork is being reduced
  • No castings/turned fittings/bushes would be included
  • We have not discussed the provision of frame spacers for EM/P4, this would be dependent on the interested parties
  • The etches would be considered a "scratch aid", and for experienced modelers

I will liaise with those interested to discuss requirements, advise of the approach taken, and ultimately organize the taking of deposits for any interested parties. I will maintain full contact throughout, contactable by phone, email and private message. 

There is hardly any profit in this at all (if any, I'm looking to only cover costs), but we'd be provisionally be looking at £50-60 per set of etches, plus £3.50 postage. The final price would be quoted upfront, before any deposits are taken. 

At the moment though, what I need are "firm" expressions of interest via PM, complete with full name and telephone number. In return I'll assign a model number (or as many as you like...), pass on my contact details, and advise if/when we are in a position to move forward with the project.

If I don't have enough interest within a month (May 19th), I will not pursue this project any further and all parties will be contacted and advised of this outcome.

Kind regards, 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

How good is the design of the etched parts?

Brass or N/ Silver?

Where would you source the fittings usually cast in white metal from?

Gordon A

Hi Gordon, 

The etches will be based on the 7mm Agenoria etches drawn by Pete Stamper in the 90's. These are held in favorable regard by many industrial modelers, and in the case of the Bagnall, I have seen several of these built successfully in 0 gauge. 

The current plan is to have the chassis etched in N/S and the body and cylinder wrappers in brass. Sheet thicknesses are still TBC. 

With regards to castings I would be looking towards 247 developments/Gibson/D.M.R./Markits. Of course, you can always turn these yourself if you so desire, but I'm fairly confident that something close to those required will already exist, or will require minor work to bring up to scratch. The distinctive sandboxes on this model are etched, as is the mechanical lubricator.

Paul A. 

Thanks for the reply Paul.

Please put me down for one set of etches.

Gordon A

No problem at all Gordon, please PM me with your full name and telephone number and I'll confirm your etch number. 

Kind regards, 

Paul

Hi all, 

Good news - 

We're now only 3 etches away from our target of 10.

Thank you to all of those who have already been in contact.

If you'd like a set, please drop me a PM - there will be no "second batch" after these three have been reserved. 

post-5089-0-50193500-1492713239_thumb.jpg

Kind regards,

Paul A. 

So what isn't included?  Such as -

Buffers, chimney, safety valve, tank filler, whistle

Injectors and piping, springs

Boiler tube, smokebox door and handle

Firebox doorplate, reversing lever

Crosshead, slidebars, cylinders

None of these are an insurmountable problem to provide and some I would probably make myself anyway but it may help some people to make up their mind.  I  expect that Alan Gibson can supply a suitable wheel?  And I'm sure Mr Gibbons has a gearbox and motor combo that will fit beautifully.

Put me down for one as well.  Only 2 more required now!

• Like 1

Is there a decent scale drawing for this particular 15" Bagnall available anywhere?

Gordon A

There are 4 of these locos preserved out of the 6 built, which is quite remarkable. The NRM hold the WG. Bagnall records, I would think it likely that they have a set. 

I'll ask Agenoria if we can have a set of the 7mm instructions, which includes a line drawing, to aid builders. I'm also putting together a CD of detail photographs from Cranford No.2, one of the preserved examples. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1

That's a great photo Paul.

Sadly not my own unfortunately, I was allowed to borrow it form a friend for advertising this project.

It shows WB2655/42 on loan to Cranford quarries in the 1960's when their own Bagnall WB2668/42 was undergoing repairs. Taken at the same time as the 2nd photo in the thread, with AE1919/24 in the background. All three locos are preserved. 

Paul A. 

• 5 months later...

Hi Paul - any news on this project, please?

Thanks.

Yes - I'm trying to get to grips with the test etch at the moment. I didn't want to bore anyone with the details via. private message just yet.

post-5089-0-40144800-1506801816_thumb.jpg

Some bits just won't do, so I've ordered an additional sheet from PPD, which I've designed myself. 

Watch this space, but I'll be in contact via PM in the next month or two, I've had a house move recently so the dust is still settling. 

Thanks 

Paul A. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My etches arrived yesterday, together with a CD of instructions and photos, so many thanks for doing all this, Paul.

I'd be very interested to know how others who have acquired a set of etches now plan to proceed, particularly with regard to sourcing the parts that Paul wasn't able to scale down, by virtue of them being castings or other items, such as wheels.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes, mine arrived yesterday and the etches look very good. Thanks Paul.

I’ve yet to view the CD but most parts that would have been cast I’ll fabricate from styrene e.g. sandboxes. The dome/safety valves and water filler look like they could be made up from tube/styrene and some commercial Ross type valves.

I’ll see what I can find for springs or make up one from styrene and then make resin castings.

The chimney, always a characteristic fitting, is the most problematic. I’ll start with a search through the spare box with a view to finding something close and filing to improve it.

And we’ll see where we go from there.

• Like 2

You're of course more than welcome, thank you for making the project viable. 

The most difficult items will be injectors I think, if anyone has any brain waves short of making them up from brass tube, please share. 

post-5089-0-63682800-1517938236_thumb.jpg

Paul A.

• 1 month later...

Going to York this Saturday and hoping to pick up some parts.  Has anyone drawn up a definitive list of what is required*?  And who in the trade they could be acquired from?  Not sure of the wheel size and spoke count so that I can get some suitable ones from Alan Gibson stand.  Any info please?

*Chimney, dome,tank filler, cylinders (turn my own), smoke box door (possibly turn myself??), buffers, whistles, safety valves, injectors and wheels.  Anything else?

Can't say I'm going to start it any time soon but I like to have all the bits to hand once I do.

Edited by 5050