4mm Bagnall 0-6-0ST etches

The etches are designed around 3' 3'' wheels, which is an inch and a half smaller than the prototype. Nobody does the exact size. I recommend the Gibson industrial Garrett ones if modelling in EM/P4. 

post-5089-0-73964800-1522267851_thumb.jpg

I'm also hoping to attend York on Saturday as well. I'll have the test etch with me and I'll be visiting 24/7 developments and Gibson to see what fittings they have.  

Paul A. 

A list would be most grateful of where people are finding suitable castings. If anyone is getting some bits is there a chance anyone could perhaps pick me up some castings from the show? Two of Paul’s etches arrived a few weeks back. Payments can be arranged. PM me please!

Help much appreciated from the land down under.

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Below are the castings that I've unearthed thus far (forgive the cruel photograph, castings currently lightly glued on to show positioning):

post-5089-0-76504600-1523723965_thumb.jpg

Alan Gibson 4M748 - LMS Fowler Chimney

Lanarkshire Model Supplies LB05A - Ivatt 2-6-2 18'' head buffers

London Road Models - 14mm smokebox door, brass - hinges not included, but easy enough to make from strip/wire

Rtmodels - Austerity tank filler (requires filing flat)

Rtmodels - smokebox door dart

Markits M46 Stanier horizontal whistle

Mechanical lubricator (various suppliers, I can't find one which is exactly the right pattern)

Crossheads - I've used some surplus ones from an Agenoria Manning Wardle which I converted to an inside cylinder loco

I have some brass masters for the injector/clack valve assemblies. I'll need to find someone to cast them in lost wax, but I'm following up leads for this at the moment.

That just leaves the dome complete with safety valves. It's an interesting shape...

post-5089-0-40313600-1523722907_thumb.jpg

It's unlikely there's one available ready to plonk, although I'm hoping that a suitable dome may exist that may simply require drilling and fitting small ross pop valves to...

Paul A.

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Happy new year  - industrial loco fans!

post-5089-0-46199900-1546279856_thumb.jpg

The final touches (cylinder end covers, smokebox hinges and whistle) still to do, but she's now largely complete. 

I am hoping others may be making similar satisfying progress with their models, it would be good to see some photos if so...

Paul A. 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 6 months later...

As it is too hot to either work out side on my Land Rover or to do any modelling in my roof room I have been doing some research on these 15" Bagnalls.

Stafford County archives have been most helpful in sending me Bagnall's list of drawings for the following 15" Bagnalls.

image.png.c9f6e2458dfe27309a61fea386d8eba0.png

I am also fortunate to have the thick book on Bagnalls history which provided me with further information, all though it quotes the to Parkgate Bagnalls as having 2ft 3.5 inch drivers where as Bagnalls own list of drawings states they were built with 3ft 4.5 inch drivers, same as the other four.

The reason for my research is that I am looking to produce some of the fittings that would be 3D prints or castings missing from the scratch builders aid.

I have a list of 35 drawings to look at and if they provide the information obtain copies.

My thoughts are initially to get the detail parts 3D printed, If there is a decent demand I may get them cast.

Would any one else be interested?

Gordon A

• Informative/Useful 1

I would definitely be interested in a set of fittings Gordon, I have another one to build at some stage. 

The prototypical livery for these is a challenge - black edged yellow and red, red on the inside or outside when built and then some swapped over when repainted according to the Tonks books. 

Current progress as of this morning: 

1820257932_WBStaveley.jpg.e2aa8ef49b61db558be0b2c8df2dd477.jpg

Paul A. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

If these are detailing parts for the etches that some of us were fortunate enough to buy from Paul, then please count me in as well, Gordon.

+1 please!

On 25/07/2019 at 23:53, 1whitemoor said:

I would definitely be interested in a set of fittings Gordon, I have another one to build at some stage. 

The prototypical livery for these is a challenge - black edged yellow and red, red on the inside or outside when built and then some swapped over when repainted according to the Tonks books. 

Current progress as of this morning: 

1820257932_WBStaveley.jpg.e2aa8ef49b61db558be0b2c8df2dd477.jpg

Paul A. 

That is looking amazing Paul. really top notch.

Also interested in the layout that you have been crafting in the background....

• Agree 1

On 28/07/2019 at 10:37, Down_Under said:

That is looking amazing Paul. really top notch.

Also interested in the layout that you have been crafting in the background....

Thanks James - hopefully appearing here soon once the wiring is sorted...

Paul A. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All, 

A concerted effort over the weekend has seen this model running. High Level Loadhauler compact + if that helps anyone. There's lots of room in the firebox area and the tank sits fairly high so a 10 or 12 series Mashima or similar is absolutely fine. 

A few jobs left to do as you can see, but I'd say 95% of the way there now (thank goodness)

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks Gordon, 

Carefully... it's all fox "fine" 0.35mm lining. First the yellow and red and laid side by side and then the black on top. This gives a "full" thickness black and a half thickness yellow and red. Mind bending stuff, like lining a loco three times. 

Maybe I could have gotten away with just black!

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Down_Under said:

What did you use to make the steam dome from Paul?

A couple of the locomotives had covers like this - I'm not sure my prototype did but Loddington No.2 certainly did for a time. It's a J37 dome from DMR

Paul A. 

• 2 months later...

Just an update.

I have the drawings from Stafford Archives. 

I have requested an set of etched parts for the fire hole door, cross heads and the reversing lever with its sector plate.

These will take a little while.

Because of the small numbers I am thinking of doing buffers, chimney, steam fountain on top of the fire box, dome and safety valves which will take a bit longer, as 3D prints.

Gordon

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Just an update.

I have the drawings from Stafford Archives. 

I have requested an set of etched parts for the fire hole door, cross heads and the reversing lever with its sector plate.

These will take a little while.

Because of the small numbers I am thinking of doing buffers, chimney, steam fountain on top of the fire box, dome and safety valves which will take a bit longer, as 3D prints.

Gordon

Thanks for the update Gordon. I would be keen to get two sets of additional etched parts/castings/3D prints for the pair that I have.

Cheers

James

20 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Who supplied this, please? I need one for my Peckett update.

Hi Jack, this is from DMR products - J27 Dome. It will take some work to adjust it to the curvature of the tank. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor