BRM May '17 + DVD

SteveCole

• Administrators

This works better if the magazine is not encased in a polythene bag ...

Chris

...which it hasn't been since the March issue and won't be for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

Bought my copy from Smiths at Sheffield Interchange today for 99p, also contained a gift card for 5 free issues when taking out a new subscription.  The Interchange seems to be the only place in Sheffield with the 99p offer, bargain buy of the week if you ask me.

i purchased latest issue of brm on Friday at normal price 4.75

Was annoyed to see same mag and dvd on sale at warwick services on the M40 for a special price of 99p, wonder why all shops don't get this offer

Dave

I found this in Smiths at 99p as well. Bought a copy - being honest the price was the reason. 

I can guess why this hasn't been promoted on this thread / forum. It would cannibalise sales from other outlets.

Quite a few ideas for articles here. So here's another one: a regular feature where readers send in their models that have gone wrong - be it kit, modifying RTR or whatever, and the experts in the BRM team either fix it or come up with solutions to fix it. It could be a weathering job gone wrong or a kit built badly or something. It could be called BRM - Britain's Rescued Models. Follow up articles of the now-fixed disasters on their home lay outs would be a great idea.

There could even be a wiring article if "New Andy" is still desperate for one. Someone is bound to have a lay out with wiring gremlins that need exorcising.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Quite a few ideas for articles here. So here's another one: a regular feature where readers send in their models that have gone wrong - be it kit, modifying RTR or whatever, and the experts in the BRM team either fix it or come up with solutions to fix it. It could be a weathering job gone wrong or a kit built badly or something. It could be called BRM - Britain's Rescued Models. Follow up articles of the now-fixed disasters on their home lay outs would be a great idea.

There could even be a wiring article if "New Andy" is still desperate for one. Someone is bound to have a lay out with wiring gremlins that need exorcising.

Why stop at stuff which the BRM team are used to dealing with?

Certainly there's a lot which they are used to - but I wonder if there might also be some scope for involving the RMweb community in general, either in an occasional "any ideas?" slot or by inviting people to post about models etc. they are having issues with on RMweb, in the hope that somebody might have dealt with similar stuff in the past. Likewise, I wonder if there might be scope for something similar at shows.

Far fetched? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Some show visitors would actually welcome stuff like this - I know I certainly would. An excuse to snap out of "exhausted zombie" mode and actually exercise my mind while at a show - what's not to like?

As for the wiring (and electronics soldering), I really enjoy this stuff - have done for many years - the same goes for any excuse to use LEDs. I might not be too keen on "programmable" components but, if I get an excuse to experiment with real components, real wire and a real soldering iron, I tend to enjoy myself.

Anyway, that's more than enough of my random thoughts - the random thoughts of some guy who's too tired to stay awake much longer (it probably shows). What probably also shows is the fact that, when I worked in a university, I made a point of looking at things from a different angle to some people (and encouraging students to do the same). They were, after all, training to be engineers … .

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

I was happy to buy BRM anyway, on one of my UK visits, but finding it at only 99p in the M42 services was a surprise.

As the printed media find life tougher, maybe circulation wars will break out. I hope there are no casualties.

• RMweb Gold

I've tried digital editions and while they are undoubtably easier to store there are certain places I don't want to lug the tablet around too, especially if going near those sandy places or days out including water. Risking the phone which is easier to waterproof but not both devices now they cost so much. I do most of my surfing on the phone on forums so rarely take the tablet out and about and prefer to have a mag shoved in the bag as it rarely runs out of battery at the end of a long day out ;)

I think printed mags are relatively safe for now judging by the way a couple of local Smiths have increased the magazine shelving in recent referbs. There's a lot of tech mags too for the very devices they contain!

Probably the latest generation is where the biggest take up of online reading exists judging by friends kids but most of them aren't reading model railway mags ;)

According to media reports digital book sales have plummeted and printed books have come back in a major way. Especially amongst childrens books.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/17/paperback-books-sales-outperform-digital-titles-amazon-ebooks

Jason

Personally, when I've spent all day working at a computer, the last thing I want to do in the evening is relax reading a magazine... on a computer.

• RMweb Gold

Personally, when I've spent all day working at a computer, the last thing I want to do in the evening is relax reading a magazine... on a computer.

I'm with you. I find the traditional paper format, complete with adverts, much more convivial than the digital versions, which I have tried once or twice, but did not enjoy. My screen time is entirely voluntary, but magazines are best in the hand.

I've never tried a digital magazine.

But I find that when reading text on a computer screen that I don't seem to read it properly. I'm more scan reading and when I come to a wall of text then quite often I can't be bothered reading it.

Just a personal view. YMMV. That's Your Mileage May Vary to the fellow technophobes.

Jason

• Administrators

According to media reports digital book sales have plummeted and printed books have come back in a major way. Especially amongst childrens books.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/17/paperback-books-sales-outperform-digital-titles-amazon-ebooks

Jason

I attended a seminar with the head of the Independent Publishing Guild and chair of the Society of Authors the day this came out. It seems the people carrying out the survey were quite selective in those they chose to question. Basically, big publishing houses.

There's also an issue that the questions were largely around Kindles and of course those are now only a tiny sector of the e-reader market today. On a trip to London yesterday, plenty of people were reading screens, but no Kindles. Make of this what you will.

• RMweb Gold

What! Statistics can be manipulated? next you'll be saying that the 2-2-2 model of Gazelle isn't viable despite me ringing every modelshop in Britain to tell them there's demand!

;)

• RMweb Gold

There's also an issue that the questions were largely around Kindles and of course those are now only a tiny sector of the e-reader market today. On a trip to London yesterday, plenty of people were reading screens, but no Kindles. Make of this what you will.

Phil

Were they actually reading or watching Netflix/iPlayer etc? I commute into London 4 hours every day and those who read mostly read real books/mags - the screen users are mostly viewing tv/films or playing games etc in my experience [of spending too much of my life commuting!]. Personally I see very little reading from screen devices of any sort except for newsfeeds, Instagram etc rather than 'proper' published material (e.g. BRM!) but that is anecdotal.

Tony

• Administrators

Phil

Were they actually reading or watching Netflix/iPlayer etc? I commute into London 4 hours every day and those who read mostly read real books/mags - the screen users are mostly viewing tv/films or playing games etc in my experience [of spending too much of my life commuting!]. Personally I see very little reading from screen devices of any sort except for newsfeeds, Instagram etc rather than 'proper' published material (e.g. BRM!) but that is anecdotal.

Tony

Personally, I much prefer reading a 'real' magazine and think that I always will. However, sales of the BRM Digital Edition equates for over 15% of our UK newsstand sales and this figure is continuing to grow. I suppose it's whatever takes your fancy.

However, sales of the BRM Digital Edition equates for over 15% of our UK newsstand sales and this figure is continuing to grow.

But presumably less than 16% (otherwise if would be over 16%). I'm surprised it's as low as that and not closer to the DC/DCC split with railway modellers seemingly embracing digital technology.

G.

• RMweb Gold

I'd wondered about that - but I suspect it might be very difficult (if not impossible) to get an accurate breakdown.

Personally, I much prefer reading a 'real' magazine and think that I always will. However, sales of the BRM Digital Edition equates for over 15% of our UK newsstand sales and this figure is continuing to grow. I suppose it's whatever takes your fancy.

As for me, I'd also prefer the paper magazine - even if storing the things can become a bit of a problem over time. I have read some "virtual magazines" (mainly Model Railroad Hobbyist) on my PC or laptop - they can be interesting (and break the monotony of having nothing else to do) - they can also be easy to carry round (a load of them on one decent sized memory stick) - but you need to make back up copies and stuff like that.

There's also the physical presence of paper magazines - the tactile sensation of holding a real magazine and turning the pages - the distinctive aroma of the ink, when you get a fresh copy - also the chat with the friendly family running the local corner newsagent, when you hand over some real money to buy your real copy.

No amount of going online replaces that - and I don't want it to, either. For me, virtual mags are about something completely different - not having to carry and store an increasingly heavy pile of paper - being able to access an archive of older editions quickly (always assuming, of course, that you've got a reasonably effective index), even if the resolution of drawings isn't always the same with certain magazines.

Ultimately, I suspect that printed and "virtual" magazines probably appeal to different people, with different requirements. "You pay your money - and make your choice."

Huw.

• Like 1

Personally, I much prefer reading a 'real' magazine and think that I always will. 

Luddite. ;)

I understand the perspective and it's oft quoted here which I find a little ironic given how much time some spend reading content on here, on a screen - I hazard a guess it's many more minutes or hours than they spend reading magazines in the course of a month. How many is 'some'? Who knows but I'd say it's a far greater number than those who buy digital mags.

What digital magazines present is an option to bring video and/or audio content to the reader to give an additional integrated perspective; something that Steve knows I'm keen to develop in addition to the DVD content. Printed mags aren't going to disappear anytime soon but if resistance can be moved toward curiosity then hopefully readers can benefit from where it's possible to give added value that pages cannot.

• RMweb Gold

I probably do spend as much time reading forums as the mags but until I find a way to carry an A4 tablet around without a great big bag to protect it I'll still enjoy the bigger photos more in mags.

I don't mind leaving a couple of mags sat on the back seat of the car for a few weeks either ;)

What digital magazines present is an option to bring video and/or audio content to the reader to give an additional integrated perspective; something that Steve knows I'm keen to develop in addition to the DVD content. Printed mags aren't going to disappear anytime soon but if resistance can be moved toward curiosity then hopefully readers can benefit from where it's possible to give added value that pages cannot.

This is what appeals to me. I've tried various digital magazines and most I find uninspiring as they're just the same magazine but on a screen. I like BRM because it has extra features that exploit the digital platform like extra images, video and audio to add to the written content. One thing that surprises me is how little has been made of weblinks in digital magazines. I'm no great fan of advertising especially but it pays the bills in both paper and digital formats and we're all used to clicking links from websites to other related content which may in this case be online articles, Youtube videos, RMWeb threads, or websites where items used in an article may be purchased or a manufacturer's range can be viewed.

Luddite. ;)

I understand the perspective and it's oft quoted here which I find a little ironic given how much time some spend reading content on here, on a screen.

That'd probably be because there is no printed paper version of RMweb to read as an alternative to reading it on-line. Either spend time reading it on a screen or not at all.

;-)

G

• RMweb Gold

Luddite. ;)

I understand the perspective and it's oft quoted here which I find a little ironic given how much time some spend reading content on here, on a screen - I hazard a guess it's many more minutes or hours than they spend reading magazines in the course of a month.

… What digital magazines present is an option to bring video and/or audio content to the reader to give an additional integrated perspective

… Printed mags aren't going to disappear anytime soon but if resistance can be moved toward curiosity then hopefully readers can benefit from where it's possible to give added value that pages cannot.

That'd probably be because there is no printed paper version of RMweb to read as an alternative to reading it on-line. Either spend time reading it on a screen or not at all.

;-)

That's certainly the case these days.

Saying that, 5 years ago, some high quality content from RMweb found its way into an e-zine - with a title something like Modelling Inspiration - which was available for download on this site, then included as a pullout in certain editions of BRM.

It's a while since I last looked at a new issue of MI - and I'll probably never see any more. This is a shame, because they were very good indeed - "top drawer" - "high class" - the sort of stuff which "a discerning clientele" might even describe as "model railway p*rn".

Yes. Right. Whatever. All I know is that I liked them - as did a number of other people. If something similar were to be done now - perhaps as e-zines - perhaps as BRM pullouts - perhaps as model railway show handouts (with tickets - or available, with a chat, at the BRM stand at shows) - I reckon they'd be quite a "draw".

Whether copies find their way into doctors' / dentists' waiting rooms - alongside copies of Country Life, Condé Nast Traveller, National Geographic or the various caravan, yacht and performance car mags - is not for me to decide. However, I feel that aspirational fare like this is the sort of company that magazines like BRM need to keep (and are perfectly capable of keeping). This is the sort of thing I had in mind, a few months back, when I joked about BRM becoming a "coffee table" magazine.

As for "online extras", what sort of fare is feasible? I'd be tempted to look "across the pond":

I could look at Model Railroader, whose online content includes extra photos, plans and wallpaper, which wouldn't fit into the printed mag, plus relevant old articles from their many years of previous editions. This stuff is available free to all readers (even non subscribers and people who don't live in the US), but much of it only for a limited time (a few months or a year).

I'm rather less keen on their "subscriber extras" idea - mainly because I don't want to cut my local newsagent out of the loop - but also because, with me living in the UK (where any subs are likely to be handled via an intermediary), I don't even know if all of the "subscriber only" stuff would actually be available to me as part of the package!

I could also look at a free online magazine Model Railroad Hobbyist, which includes "rate this article" links, plus links to related content and advertisers' sites. There are also layout tours and other footage, available free by clicking on a "subscriber extras" link. At this point, there's nothing for me to worry about - as the e-zine is paid for by advertisers and (optional) subscriptions are free of charge. I also don't recall the publisher asking for much in the way of personal info - something like email address (many of us have separate ones for different purposes) and "board name" for the e-zine's associated forum site.

"Pay content" is also available via further links, for any readers who are interested.

Two different magazines - with different visions of online content. Both have free online extras and forum sites, which require free registration. Both also send you emails every so often (none of which are likely to cause anyone any problems). The main differences seem to lie in exactly what online extras are offered - for how long - and whether any readers are prevented from accessing any of these, especially based on geographic location.

As for me, I find that both have provided a mix of online extras - some very useful - some less so - but I prefer MRH's "open to all readers" access model.

Anyway, that's enough from me.

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths