Jltrt 8750 pannier tank

Having not done any modelling for near enough 9 months now because of moving house and then my girlfriend giving birth to my son. I have now got my workshop to to a usable state, so I decided to start on my jltrt 8750 kit. So far I have only got as far as the basic footplate assembly. However the footplate looks totally different to the 57xx.

The footplate looks just the same as the 57xx. Only the upper works around the cab and maybe some small details elsewhere will be different.

Edited by PAD

The 57XX kit has cast W/M splashers. Don't forget to attach the nut for fixing the rear of the chassis to the foot plate. The 57XX instructions don't make this very clear!! I don't want to teach grandma how to suck eggs but, I would suggest you go through the list of castings very, very carefully to make sure you identify every part and that they are in the plastic bag. I had a few sprues missing! Laurie was prompt at sending replacements though.

I also found that the splasher castings were a tad under size. Probably to do with shrinkage in the casting process. Although at the time of fitting I found it difficult to get them fixed. I thought they would be ok but I was wrong! When fitting the chassis and test running the wheel flanges were just touching the ends of the splashers  and causing intermittent shorts(because they were a tad short) and I had to resort to packing, to raise the footplate by about .5mm.

Good luck with the build.

Regards

Sandy

Hi, I was at the Leigh O gauge exhibition this afternoon having a brew, when I saw your post. I should have looked more closely at the photos. As Sandy mentioned, the 57 splashers are white metal and not the best of fits. It looks as if the 87 has an etched outer face and possibly the same cast splashers to be fitted in reverse. If that is the case I would be inclined to make the tops from brass and dispense with the castings.

I guess the cab floor etc. is different to accomodate the resin cast cab and bunker.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Cheers,

Peter

I will remember the nut sandy. But it will have to go on top of the resin cab floor. I also spotted today that the spare lamp brackets are etched to the side of the front splasher and there are only two not three, all the photos I've seen of locos with the exception of one have three behind the tool box, so that will need to be rectified. I've also noticed looking through the castings that both injectors are identical, but on photo the injector on the right side has a different arrangement so more modifications required...

The splashers are totally etched in this kit, you still get white metal ones supplied but the castings where crap, so I normalised the etched ones and fitted those yesterday. Did you say you had some pics of the cab interior on an 8750 pad? Because there are no diagrams of the interior in this kit, the cab floor is a totally different shape to 57xx and there's no holes for locating castings. I expected more for the money I spent!

• Like 1

I've got quite a few pictures taken inside the cab of the 8750 at Didcot. I'll fire up my computer and post them shortly.

You say the injectors are different in the photos. Which photos do you mean?

Cheers,

Peter

Here's the cab photos. Bear in mind though, that the preservationists may have made some changes!

post-13414-0-31460900-1492893410_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-89177100-1492893414_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-18933100-1492893420_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-32549200-1492893426_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-27414500-1492893431_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-79690700-1492893434_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-32333000-1492893438_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-26094800-1492893442_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-48546200-1492893446_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-25414200-1492893450_thumb.jpg

Hope these help. I have some more that I got from the web so if you need more, let me know and I will PM them to you. Don't want to step on anybody's copyright.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks pad that will be a huge help.

This is what I mean about the injectors. The pictures aren't great because I've taken pictures of a book and coped them but here goes.

The first image is sort of how they come in the kit, as you know they need modifying.

The second image is the right hand side of the engine and although the injector is the same it is configured differently.

post-26294-0-66229800-1492895399_thumb.jpg

post-26294-0-96609700-1492895437_thumb.jpg

I see what you mean. Do you have the Irwell press books Pannier Papers? There are 3 or maybe 4 volumes. I'll have a look in mine and see what I can find. Have you decided which number you will use?

Yeah I have 2 of the three volumes, I've decided on 3775, it was a regular in the forest of Dean in its final years. Also I have alot of good photos of it from a book steam in Dean, including a picture of the tank tops. I've also been able to tell that it has the difference injector pipework on the right side too.

Today's progress. Because I'm waiting for parts to start the chassis, I decided to do some of the work on the boiler/tanks and the cab. I've had to measure and mark out all of the holes for the fire iron hooks, lamp brackets and handrails as none of the holes are marked. Nor is there a scale drawing or measurements supplied to work from. I did some work detailing the top of the tanks and had to remove the rivet plates that support the front steps on the tanks as they are a different shape and are welded on. There's alot of fiddling so far.

Dave shackleton

post-26294-0-08852800-1492982400_thumb.jpg

post-26294-0-65146300-1492982418_thumb.jpg

post-26294-0-65393700-1492982442_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I got an email today from jltrt to say my parts are on the way. In the meantime I did a little more detailing, this time on the bunker. I had to make the lamp bracket on the top of the bunker myself as there is no allowance for this in the kit.

Dave

post-26294-0-64897600-1493063881_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Nice work. The resin casting makes a much better job of the bunker than the etchings and cast brass corners did on the 57XX.

I see you also discarded the cast white metal pipes from the top feed to the injectors and just used the cast union with copper wire. Gives a much better results.

Cheers,

Peter

This is what I mean about the injectors.

At some point in the development of the 5700 / 8750 series of engines the Swindon DO altered the arrangement of injectors / water feed cocks and that necessitated alterations in the plumbing of the water pipes to the injectors.  The first 5700s had one injector and one water feed cock on each side...  the fittings on one side of the engine had no connection with the fittings on the other side of the engine.  The last "8750s" had one injector on each side of the engine...  and both water feed cocks on the fireman's side of the engine...  so the injector on the driver's side of the engine received water from the tank via a pipe connected to a water feed cock on the fireman's side, the pipe running in front of the firebox and above the top of the frames.

As to when the change was introduced...  and whether applied retrospectively or as a result of change of tanks...  photos please.

Edited by Western Star

The bit of the resin floor that is in the bunker, could you cut that away to clear the nut if it was soldered to the brass floor? I don't always use bits that are in the kit. In the JLTRT county that I built, I cut off half the resin brick of the coal space as it was superfluous.

Regards

Tony

That's the impression I have got western thunder. The pipe seems to run around the front of the firebox and into the valve behind the injector on the fireman's side, it appears the the valve is also located slightly below that of the fireman's side injector. From what research I have done so far, it appears that all of the 36xx, 37xx and maybe even the 46xx have this mod. I am continuing to research this however. I will continue taking photos whenever I can.

Hi Tony. The plan was to drill a hole in the cab floor or to drill and tap a block of brass and glue that on top of the floor casting. I will see how it goes when I get to that stage.

Cheers

Dave