Steam locomotives and "modern wagons"

• RMweb Gold
On 06/05/2017 at 01:10, Porcy Mane said:

Alan Thompson had a reputation for photographing J27's hauling HAA around Northumberland. There is a rather well known phot of a rake of ex works HAA's being hauled out of Heaton Yard by a J27.

J27s could be seen hauling Esso Class A TTA's from the Tynemouth Terminal to Blyth power station and class A and B TTA's were used in the pick up that supplied South Blyth Loco Dept with diesel fuel.

Skipton was a bit of a hot bed for TTA tanks being hauled by 8 & 9Fs towards the end of steam and there was the short rakes of ICI Soda Ash tanks that were built in 1966.

https://flic.kr/p/dTPRnA

2966640907_a928dcd09e_z.jpg021-11-Carlisle-25-2-67-44882 by david.l.quayle, on Flickr

2966599691_e8219901bf_z.jpg019-9-Carlisle-9-10-66-92249 by david.l.quayle, on Flickr

P

It has to be remembered that a lot of TTAs started off as vacuum brakes tanks some being early conversion to air brake as either TTA or TTB and others retaining vacuum or AFI and becoming TTV or TTF.  There were later 45t tanks that were built as air braked

That is a very interesting topic. I did see a USATC S160 hauling some Privatised wagons in a magazine article once. Perhaps this is something steam locomotives can attempt on the Mainline. EWS plank wagons or vent vans complimented by a Shark brake van at the rear would make quite a modern-looking freight train.

In fact, Hornby has been adding modern wagons including a 4-wheel coach and their charmingly-quaint 0-4-0 tank engine in their sets, one of them being the My First Hornby train set. This (mainly the station with battery-powered controller built-in) was repurposed from their battery-powered Thomas the Tank Engine train set (I know because I owned it once and I still do somewhere). The company thought if there's a My First Scalextric set, why not do a My First Hornby set, too? And that's just what they did. Today, they sure do 't make them anymore, but like most train sets, they are chuffing rare (no pun intended).

21 hours ago, russ p said:

TTAs started off as vacuum brakes tanks some being early conversion to air brake as either TTA or TTB and others retaining vacuum or AFI and becoming TTV or TTF.

On hire to Esso TTA's running as a class 9 behind a J27.  Delivering feed stock to Blyth Power Sta. from the Tynemouth Esso terminal. Esso TTA's were also used to deliver diesel fuel to South Blyth shed via the pick up.

https://flic.kr/p/2i4cAyw

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

On hire to Esso TTA's running as a class 9 behind a J27.  Delivering feed stock to Blyth Power Sta. from the Tynemouth Esso terminal. Esso TTA's were also used to deliver diesel fuel to South Blyth shed via the pick up.

https://flic.kr/p/2i4cAyw

P

Are they definitely air porcy?  I remember a lot of vac braked Algeco ones

• 1 year later...
On 25/05/2020 at 20:44, russ p said:

Are they definitely air porcy?  I remember a lot of vac braked Algeco ones

Just seen this reply. I didn't mean to imply that those wagons  illustrated in the phots were definitely air braked.

• Like 1