A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

This is sounding more like a Billy Connolly or Stephen Fry Cameo!

My lodgers are away at the moment, so I can move the layout in any state of dress I choose. Although as I don't know when they're coming back, I need to be a bit cautious :).

I may be moving my 6'6" x 1'6" door layout with built in backscene downstairs to the workshop today. It involves lifting it off a shelf that backs onto the stairs, manoeuvring in a narrow space to get it onto the stairs, carrying it down the stairs with a sharp left turn out of the 6ft and a bit door at the bottom in a limited space. All this under 7ft ceilings, with about 6 inches of exposed beams below them! The next bit is much easier, although there's a tight right turn to get it into the workshop, after going through a just over 6ft doorway! Then after the work is done, I have to the reverse journey! Could be "fun"!!!

Take a video and then we can all have some fun watching as well.

Actually, no, forget that, if you're going to move it bare I don't want to see that!

Take a video and then we can all have some fun watching as well.

Actually, no, forget that, if you're going to move it bare I don't want to see that!

Trying to make a video while moving it would no doubt add to the entertainment factor, but maybe not to the success of the operation! It's a bit cold today, so I'd probably keep my clothes on anyway :).

I think the task has now been delayed, as some bits arrived in the post that allow me to work on another layout first.

No one says the base etc has to be

wood.

For lightweight construction, may

I suggest you look at a series of discussions in Model Railroad Hobbyist and also the $100 module .The Professor's cmments on building with foamcore might solve the weight problems for you, VERY QUICK CONSTRUCTION . The Prof produced his baseboard in 4 hourd if I recall. I don it have all my resources with me in Singapore

• Like 1

Just found this thread in the depths of RMWeb and fought my way through a couple of pages of frothing before getting to the good ideas.

Have to admit to having been oblivious to this Rice chap for about the first decade or so if my modelling years, Dad's copies of Railway Modeller had people like Holdsworth and Gravett to inspire me, until finding a copy of Rice's book on Light Railway Layout Design in a second hand bookshop sometime later.

My route to this thread seems quite opposite to many of those moaning about buying the Cameo Layouts book. Trerice in MRJ a year or three back was the first time I'd come across a Rice layout to inspire me (and would work very well in narrow gauge). Subsequently, I bought a copy of Cameo Layouts when it came out and saw the competition advertised in the latest MRJ. So for me, this competition being allowed an airing on RMWeb is a blessing. Rather than just seeing a few exquisite examples published in MRJ in due course, we might get to see some being built 'watts and all', so am pleased it's being included on here.

As for me, whilst I doubt my modelling skills are up to the standard required to make it worth checking my shift roster for 2019, I might just give the competition a go. Maybe a small module that can be later incorporated into my grand plan? There is a 7mm narrow gauge Fletcher Jennings 0-4-0 that I'm rather pleased with sitting on the shelf with nothing to do yet and a 4ft by 2ft laser cut baseboard kit crying out to be used for something, so who knows....

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 6

Hi,

Having decided to have a go at the competition figured I'd post something (first time). Yes I've bought the book, mainly because our club layout (Frecclesham) had a couple of pictures included.

I will start a posting (that seems a pre-requisite of the comp) in due course. My layout will be 7mm (OFS) and operated by RC locos, with a goal to not use mains power, just batteries! All I have as a starting point is a partially finished J15!!

Not entirely sure this is sensible, but what the heck!!!!

post-19211-0-19225300-1493814742.jpg

regards,

Steve

• Like 5

Bought the book, started the layout before hearing about the competition. Board and lighting pelmet completed and painted. Some buildings completed and more on the go. Hope to have the track completed by the end of the week.  This has provided me with the impetus to complete a working scale layout in a certain timeframe. Competition entries only have to be in by September, not the completed layout, so that does allow more time than one might think. Mine is in 7mm scale, with both broad gauge and standard gauge tracks. I am enjoying my modelling thoroughly. Thanks to Simon and Iain for providing the inspiration!

Best wishes

Signalman Rich

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bought the book, started the layout before hearing about the competition. Board and lighting pelmet completed and painted. Some buildings completed and more on the go. Hope to have the track completed by the end of the week.  This has provided me with the impetus to complete a working scale layout in a certain timeframe. Competition entries only have to be in by September, not the completed layout, so that does allow more time than one might think. Mine is in 7mm scale, with both broad gauge and standard gauge tracks. I am enjoying my modelling thoroughly. Thanks to Simon and Iain for providing the inspiration!

Best wishes

Signalman Rich

That's ambitious! I am struggling to come up with an interesting enough design just for standard gauge in 7mm.

My layout will be 7mm (OFS) and operated by RC locos, with a goal to not use mains power, just batteries! All I have as a starting point is a partially finished J15!!

Cool. I am making an 00 Gauge Battery Powered Radio Controlled loco - only way to go :)

I doubt very much that anything I make will be up to competition standard - but it's fun.

...R

Best wishes

Signalman Rich

A topic is required, as we need more broad gauge layouts on RMweb :).

• Like 1

Thanks for your comment Joseph_Pestell. My space saving dodge is to use a traverser instead of several points. Worth trying as an exercise to save space. I have been inspired by Jim Read and his Maltby layout on RMWeb. Jim has been very helpful with advice and plans for points and a controller and I am in the process of accumulating electronic parts for the controller 

When I can get my head around adding photos I will start posting. As I am new to RMWeb could you explain what you mean by "a topic is required, as we need more BG layouts on RMWeb," please BG John? Do I have to link my posts to a thread as you have listed at the bottom of your post eg Small Broad and totally pointless? Any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Signalman Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The competition will be judged by Iain Rice, Gordon Gravett and Chris Nevard, initially using material submitted by entrants by means of written or electronic media, including threads on this forum. It is hoped to include actual viewing of entries by one or more judges for as many entries as possible, particularly after initial shortlisting. Entries need, for all practical purposes, to be completed before and in time for potential exhibition in May 2019 at Railex in Aylesbury.

The judging job was a bit of a surprise to Mr Nevard.

Chrisandphone.jpg

He only found out on Wednesday. Fortunatly, the beer helped cushion the shock...

• Like 1

After reading various comments on this thread about the various degrees of competition from those who just want to take part and use this competition as an excuse to get out of the armchair through to those who are in it to win it, for want of a better expression. Spent the day in a jewellery workshop with what seemed an appropriate motto on the wall for this competition:

post-11098-0-57802000-1494713073_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 10

Andrew,

The motto makes perfect sense. The only competition I'm taking part in, is with myself! My mind is creative to the point of total chaos on occasions. If I beat bouts of procrastination and have some thing to show for it in two years time, I'll be a very happy chappy.

The good side of being on here is the encouragement to carry on

Paul 4475

• RMweb Gold

After reading various comments on this thread about the various degrees of competition from those who just want to take part and use this competition as an excuse to get out of the armchair through to those who are in it to win it, for want of a better expression. Spent the day in a jewellery workshop with what seemed an appropriate motto on the wall for this competition:

attachicon.gifIMG_6999.JPG

Cheers,

Andrew

(Ignore them, ignore them, eyes on the prize, Stu, eyes on the prize)

It seems to me that anybody who wants to enter the comp has two choices re the rules thereof

1 TAKE IT

. or

2 LEAVE IT

If anybody has a problem with rules then the answer is simple don't enter!

I was really excited about entering this competition, I emailed Simon about Rule No4

"The Modelling is executed to a high standard 'small but exquisite', favouring finescale wheel and track standards and a high level of detail.'

So far, no response.

I wanted a definition of "finescale wheel and track standards"  ie; is say SMP copperclad ok , or C&L, does it have to be EM or P4. Is 16.5 acceptable. "favouring" is another big word there. so unless it's EM. please tell me.

Colin  

I'm using either Peco 16.5mm or 9mm track, hopefully they will score high with Operation and High level of detail.

I'm with you on this one. Things have moved on and i was just trying to get some definition on what constitutes finescale wheel and track standards in these modern times.