A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• RMweb Gold

My train set, Mutton.....OO gauge code 75 PECO.......it's all down to the care with which it's laid...Don't rush.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm using Precision Rail Company Code 72.5 Ramsbottom rail for the running line, with Preciseoscale individually lost earwax cast chairs, which will be bolted to each individually-sanded Norwegian pine sleeper. Ballasting will be done by placing each individual piece of hand-crafted ballast in place with a pair of ultra-fine tweezers, all done under a microscope and then fixed in place by a gentle application of sprayed-on Limoneneon. All stock will be fully scratchbuilt using only the finest Cornish brass. Wheels will be turned down to tolerances of 0.0000000001 of a micron using the Medium Hadron Collider to confirm the measurements. Motors will be individually assembled from precision NASA components left over from the Apollo programme that I picked up in a junk shop in the Edgeware Road 300 years ago.

It's all perfectly straightforward, and I plan to have the layout ready for Railex in 2119.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm using Precision Rail Company Code 72.5 Ramsbottom rail for the running line, with Preciseoscale individually lost earwax cast chairs, which will be bolted to each individually-sanded Norwegian pine sleeper. Ballasting will be done by placing each individual of hand-crafted ballast in place with a pair of ultra-fine tweezers, all done under a microscope and then fixed in place by a gentle application of sprayed-on Limoneneon. All stock will be fully scratchbuilt using only the finest Cornish brass. Wheels will be turned down to tolerances of 0.0000000001 of a micron using the Medium Hadron Collider to confirm the measurements. Motors will be individually assembled from precision NASA components left over from the Apollo programme that I picked up in a junk shop in the Edgeware Road 300 years ago.

It's all perfectly straightforward, and I plan to have the layout ready for Railex in 2119.

Damn - I'll have to have a re-think - the good Captain beat me to it....

Someone might have asked this question before what is the maximum size for a cameo layout in 7mm?

I have one layout "Crackpot Mining" 0-9 25x15x14 (inglnook shunting layout) not sure this qualifies as nothing moves off scene

I have a standard gauge 7mm layout "Scratchy Bottom" 22ft x 1ft6 set in fenland complete with a copy of the bridge on the Snape branch. Would this qualify?

My other layout that is in the planning stage is Eskdale Green circ 1900 is designed in accordance with this years Dave brewer chalange so that one would qualify I think?

Marc

• RMweb Premium

Oh honestly, sleepers should be Jarrah, and they will be tested on the competition day.

Using redundant shipyard workers from Jarra won't be allowed, by the way.

On a serious note....entering this as a competition isn't practical for me due to my location, but has certainly got me thinking about a cameo style layout for home use.  I'm also not a good enough muddeller to score many points, but that doesn't stop me having fun building one. 16.5 too - sod it!

• Like 1

Oh honestly, sleepers should be Jarrah, and they will be tested on the competition day.

Using redundant shipyard workers from Jarra won't be allowed, by the way.

On a serious note....entering this as a competition isn't practical for me due to my location, but has certainly got me thinking about a cameo style layout for home use.  I'm also not a good enough muddeller to score many points, but that doesn't stop me having fun building one. 16.5 too - sod it!

You're hardly on the other side of the world. Couldn't you just take the layout in your car on the ferry across to mainland Britain?

You're hardly on the other side of the world. Couldn't you just take the layout in your car on the ferry across to mainland Britain?

Or make it small enough to use Trackshacks excellent postal service.  :smile_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

You've seen the price of the ferry, have you?  Plus digs for a couple of nights away.....together probably more than you spend on a week in Spain. or two.

PS - Mainland? We ARE the mainland.

Or make it small enough to use Trackshacks excellent postal service.  :smile_mini2:

I don't think I could convince the staff to wrap it!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

I am interested in entering and have a layout concept in the pipeline.  My thoughts are that if all the entrants post regular details of their layout's construction etc., by the time of Railex 2019, the judges will have seen more than enough to potentially be able to decide on a winner prior to the show.

Edited by 5050

• RMweb Gold

I am interested in entering and have a layout concept in the pipeline.  My thoughts are that if all the entrants post regular details of their layout's construction etc., by the time of Railex 2019, the judges will have seen more than enough to potentially be able to decide on a winner prior to the show.

Photos can lie... ;)

... and exhibitions are far more sociable and fun places to display your wares. (Although reading a few posts elsewhere on the forum I sometimes wonder.)

P

I hope that doesn't mean that asocial nerds are excluded from the competition :)

But will they turn up on the day?

...and perhaps more importantly remember to spray themselves.

post-508-0-85260200-1495892747.jpg

So- what is the answer?

Steve

Nothing yet, Steve. I was going to build this layout anyway, weather it's up to the standard of "Finescale"  what ever that is, remains to be seen. 7 years to build Pine Road, 3 years to build Parkstone, 23 months to build this one!!!

At least i have got round to contacting Talbot steel works about the rail section and chairs although they did question the number of bolt holes in the chairs.

Have to give it to them, clever advertising for selling a book (an extremely good book at that) There was a similar one Iain wrote a few years ago called, "An approach to MODEL RAILWAY LAYOUT DESIGN Finescale in small spaces"  may be worth a look for some of you.

Colin

Edited by pushpull33

• RMweb Gold

Mainland? We ARE the mainland.

Fog in the Irish Sea. Great Britain cut off.

Apart from the price, I reckon that Liverpool - Douglas is just about the roughest sea crossing I have ever done (July 1972).

I too have sent in my entry form. As I understand it all entries are accepted as a statement of intent and I do not expect a confirmation. What will count is how we make our ideas into a layout that is viable, attractive and fits the concept of cameo as explained in Iain and Simon's initial notes in MRJ and at the head of this topic. Have fun and enjoy the process!  I look forward to seeing the shortlisted layouts and would hope to go to see the winner at Railex 2019. I am currently enjoying myself with my progress and am trying new techniques (for me) with buildings, track and (yet to be started) locos. I am glad that the competition has kick started my modelling again and that there are enjoyable works in progress on RMweb to enjoy. The motto carved in stone over the portal of the prison on my cameo is "Multum in Parvo" or according to Oxford Dictionaries.com " A great deal in a small space." Hopefully that will be true, but if not I am still enjoying the journey. Whether  I ever get to spend  magical prize money in the Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop is not why I am building. It is the journey that is important to me. I am looking out the window of RMweb, enjoying the scenery, other people's inspirational work, and am not too worried about the destination in Larkhall.  Happy modelling everyone!

Best wishes

Rich

• Like 9

I too have sent in my entry form. As I understand it all entries are accepted as a statement of intent and I do not expect a confirmation. What will count is how we make our ideas into a layout that is viable, attractive and fits the concept of cameo as explained in Iain and Simon's initial notes in MRJ and at the head of this topic. Have fun and enjoy the process!  I look forward to seeing the shortlisted layouts and would hope to go to see the winner at Railex 2019. I am currently enjoying myself with my progress and am trying new techniques (for me) with buildings, track and (yet to be started) locos. I am glad that the competition has kick started my modelling again and that there are enjoyable works in progress on RMweb to enjoy. The motto carved in stone over the portal of the prison on my cameo is "Multum in Parvo" or according to Oxford Dictionaries.com " A great deal in a small space." Hopefully that will be true, but if not I am still enjoying the journey. Whether  I ever get to spend  magical prize money in the Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop is not why I am building. It is the journey that is important to me. I am looking out the window of RMweb, enjoying the scenery, other people's inspirational work, and am not too worried about the destination in Larkhall.  Happy modelling everyone!

Best wishes

Rich

Best post in the whole damn thread :-)

Cheers

Flymo

I am trying to download the application form on to my Mac Book, and I find it does not allow me to open Microsoft .rtf files, which is the for,mat f the application form.

Is it possible to get hold of a version of the form which an Apple computer will open, please?

Thanks,

Ian