A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Simon,

Over the past too many years than I care to count, I've started numerous layouts.  Each got to various stages before they had to be dismembered for many reasons.  This competition has gotten me committed to getting to what I would consider a psuedo-completed point.  Without the "competition" I'm not sure I would have gotten the kick in the pants to start this.  :)

• Like 3

but it would be wonderful if there were a large number of new, first time builders.

As I understand it, the big problem for many people is the question of size as most "don't have room for a layout". The idea of the Cameo is to build a small, but well formed layout. Perhaps the sight of all the entries will trigger a wave of layout construction from those who now realise they do have room.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Glad you are enjoying yourself.

But your statement is inherently self-contradictory: you already did join in, and in fact re-ignited it.

As with my previous statement, lack of a smiley does not preclude humour in the comment.

But back to the OP and the question.

There are three answers:

1) A layout fitting exactly the criteria laid out by Iain Rice;

2) A layout built to meet the specific criteria for entry into the competition;

3) However you personally interpret Iain’s suggestions.

Unless working towards a competition entry, then item 1 is a starting point for 3, and the answer boils down to, “Whatever you wish it to be.”

As for layouts, I am having fun re-working the layout I built over 20 years ago. It is too long for the competition (rules out definition 2), and presented at too low a height to meet Iain’s criteria (option 1 out of the window) so I simply eschew the third option, but take on board some of Iain’s developed ideas about presentation and how I might use them to better present the layout (which us all it is: no need to categorise it further beyond scale, subject and size). As such, other people’s ideas and achievements might also inspire me, but the competition result per se doesn’t interest me.

Unless entering the competition, I don’t think I will ever use the word “cameo” in this context. Like most threads on any forum, the discussion is fun, sometimes informative, but usually spurious.

Jellied eels.

• RMweb Gold

I hope so, I really do.

As I prefer 3-link/screw couplings and Sergent knuckle couplers for my North American models*, the “total concept” of the cameo layout is not for me: I think reaching into the scene would be more disruptive than a hook from the sky, so my layout height is lower as I need to reach over the backscene and the backscene is similarly restricted in height. Were I prepared to use AJs or similar, then maybe I would be able to accommodate a higher display height.

I also have almost complete use of the garage as a railway room, so can build something bigger.

Other than display height, my layout fitted into Iain’s definition original definition, but not that of the competition. Twenty years ago I gave it to a friend who re-vamped and extended it, including a new and then original design of fiddle yard, and it doesn’t fit Iain’s definition either. Since he passed over two years ago, the layout continued on the circuit, but has recently come back to me. It won’t be enlarged, but it will be modified (including trying to lighten it) slightly, but will still retain the 50% increase in number of turnouts from the original 4 turnout plan. So it not become a “cameo layout” but some of the principles will be re-applied - these were removed when the layout was repvamped, but I liked them then as much as I do now!

When the book came out, I had it on back-order with Simon at WSP/Titfield, and immediately digested it, finding it to be an example of Iain at his very best. I did immediately plan such a layout (American outline S, as it happens) but found my choice of couplers created some issues which I have not entirely satisfied to my liking, but the re-acquisition of my original layout has brought home the fact that I get enough satisfaction from a slightly larger layout.

I think it’s great that some of the hobby’s “serial layout builders” are rising to the challenge, but my hope is that more who have never completed or even started a layout are inspired to have a go. With careful design, if they decide that the small scenic footprint of a cameo layout be insufficient for their satisfaction, they can always enlarge the layout. I just hope that we see more “layout newcomers” than existing builders.

* It strikes me that until we have small working automatons acting as shunters, there is no ideal solution to this. Scale couplings suffer from the “hand of God”, and everything else looks less like the real thing to varying degrees - even the much lauded Kadees do not look or operate exactly like the real buckeyes. Add to that the unrealistic stop-reverse-stop-forward (not always with the stop parts, either!) shuffle of delayed action Spratt & Winkle and Kadees, and it rapidly becomes apparent that this can only be a personal decision based on subjective criteria.

It’s all a bit of a bügger, isn’t it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would heartily recommend one of Iain's other publications,

'Finescale Snacks for The Small Waistline'

In this he demonstrates how to create a variety of snacks for small plates, doing so in a way to disguise the size of the portion to make it appear much bigger.

Starting with a potted history of small plates, running through optimum size, presentation,lighting, food blockers and many more before finishing up with several ideas for finescale snacks of your own.

Very easy to digest and something pick up time and time again.

Now, where's my cakebox?

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581

In this he demonstrates how to create a variety of snacks for small plates, doing so in a way to disguise the size of the portion to make it appear much bigger.

I hope there is lots of repetition from his earlier books and his articles in Modern Refreshment Journal.

...R

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...