A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

What loco is that if you don't mind me asking?

This one.

Body is Palitoy/Mainline/Bachman J72.The chassis is Westward (I think) Axlebox may be along in a moment to correct me.

Here's a pic of the prototype earning it's daily bread.

8411009840_c7d31b5dd6_c.jpgJ72 68691 Shildon 1950s or early 60s by David Shevels, on Flickr

P

• Like 2

Did they ever operate away from the North East, or in industrial use? It looks too nice a loco to avoid modelling.

Depending on era, Scotland, East Anglia, Wirral peninsular & Wales. (Wrexham Area).

Built from 1898 to 1951, available in kit form RTR and a few different chassis kits available.

One to ride behind in preservation. All in all an ideal cameo layout Loco.

HTH

P

Edit.  Forgot to add: https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j72.php

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Forgive me if I've missed a post but I don't think I've seen any reference to Jack Nelson's cameo layouts  in either Iain's book or postings here.

If one definition of a cameo is a three-dimenional model, well framed, presented and lit, of part of a railway scene, then Jack Nelson was an important progenitor. He built several well composed cameos of the LNWR scene and framed these in IAR's favoured theatrical style with  proscenium arches, wings and integral lighting. He understoof the importance of wings as view-blockers, with one of his models showing just one end of Runcorn bridge, hiding the right hand end by a view-blocking wing, framing it just as an artist composes a picture within a frame.

These were not primarily built as portable layouts but are certainly movable and exhibitable, eventually finding a home in Betws y Coed railway museum. I hope they are still there!

One proposal of Nelson was to join several cameos by hidden linking sections, so trains can move through one scene to another. I have attempted this in a small way, my home layout featuring three scenes, Bradford North Western terminus, Clecklewyke and Scargill sidings.

Clecklewyke is an early example of a cameo, comprising just one end of a station. It features in Iain's book but is now retired from exhibition. 

Scargill Sidings is in fact the throat of my fiddle yard but the pointwork takes up so much room that I thought it should not be hidden so has been disguised as one entrance to a small set of sorting sidings.

Bradford North Western is the only attempt at a complete scene, necessitated by the need to operate it prototypically.

I'll try to post some pictures soon.

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 10

Sort of wondering aloud here, but I have the basis of a plan, based on one drawn up by Iain.....But if I do it, I want it to be in OO, and is that really in the spirit of the game??

Sort of wondering aloud here, but I have the basis of a plan, based on one drawn up by Iain.....But if I do it, I want it to be in OO, and is that really in the spirit of the game??

Short answer, yes. The gauge is not critical, the effort that goes into it is the key.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

These were not primarily built as portable layouts but are certainly movable and exhibitable, eventually finding a home in Betws y Coed railway museum. I hope they are still there!

They were as of a few years ago but looking pretty unloved and neglected in my view, needing a lot of TLC.

Barry Ten - Jack Nelson's dioramas are still in the Bettws y Coed museum as I was there at the beginning of April this year. They do look their age as Mr Nelson wrote his book "LNWR Portrayed" including photos in B &W and it was published by Peco in 1975 - a must for any North West modeller in my opinion.  I wish that my models from then looked as good today since they are at least 42 years old. The problem with restoration would be how much of the remarkable work would be lost, given that, as I understand it, Jack Nelson was severely disabled with only one arm that functioned normally. His drawings in the book are exceptional pieces of work.

The difference with this competition is that operation is a requirement, and Jack Nelson's dioramas were static. In my opinion they are still inspirational and his use of half relief and painted backscenes, not to mention perspective modelling still provide ideas that could be incorporated in a cameo layout.  The LNWR society web site has a link to some photographs of the dioramas, should you not  be aware of their existence. Certainly worth a look for that elusive 'atmosphere' that we strive for in our modelling as well as his subtle use of colour.

Best wishes

Signalman Rich

• Like 1

I wonder will people who make their own cabinet / cameo box get more marks than people you buy laser cut kits?

If not it would surely be a competition to see who can spend the most money?

...R

I bought a sheet of exterior grade 3.6mm ply from B&Q for about £12 and the skilled man cut it precisely on the rail mounted circular saw to my dimensions. (three cuts free and 50p for additional cuts I believe). That way I had really crisp and really accurate cuts for the main baseboard and the side and end pieces plus some strips for the diagonal framing underneath. I had to assemble it of course, and strengthen the corners with 21mm square stripwood. Each of the angled joints had fillets cut to fit in the corners where the diagonals fitted against the outer frame. I also used some of the corrugated card packaging from a book case from IKEA to make up a T section girder and a U shaped piece of card packaging (about 3mm thick ) to which I glued a strip of ply to the top of the U to make a rectangular lightweight box girder. The total baseboard is pretty light in weight, although I have not weighed it yet. I should add that I painted the box girder and T girders with button polish (shellac) to prevent any damage by damp, although as it will always be stored indoors in a dry attic I do not think that will concern me much. Painting the girders would have done just as well. Another L shaped piece of packing card also about 3mm thick and about 36" long I have mounted  behind the proscenium arch with the idea that it will support my battery powered LED lighting strips and prevent much uplight shining in my face when I am operating the layout.

I realised afterwards that had I used a Forstner bit to drill some circular holes in the frame underneath that not only would it take even more weight away but it would also have provided channels for under baseboard wiring. Ah! the wisdom of hindsight! The laser cut baseboards I have seen often have the circular holes cut out already. I don't think that there is any prohibition in the rules that would prevent bought in baseboards. The ones that I have seen in life and picture look stunning pieces of work.  I just like the challenge of making things, so I have gone that way.

Hope the above may give food for thought.

Best wishes

Signalman Rich

• Like 2

I wonder will people who make their own cabinet / cameo box get more marks than people you buy laser cut kits?

If not it would surely be a competition to see who can spend the most money?

...R

Does it matter? I mean, how much do people who enter really, really, really want to 'win' or are most just entering in the spirit of fun and creativity? Is, in the final analysis, a bought in cabinet going to be the difference between winning or not? I'm pretty sure that innovation, creativity, a cohesive scene and overall craftsmanship are going to be the trump cards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I mean, how much do people who enter really, really, really want to 'win'

I do. :triniti:

Hence the two entries.  :senile:  :jester:

I'm thinking of finding a couple of Chippendale cabinets and pulling the drawers out/ doors off to make my baseboards - they should be quality enough. 

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

Does it matter? I mean, how much do people who enter really, really, really want to 'win' or are most just entering in the spirit of fun and creativity?

Exactly.

As laser cut baseboards/cabinets/stages can be cut to the designers individual requirements, I'd expect most "housings" will be as diverse as the layouts contained within them. I'm sure laser cutting of wood should be treated just as another tool in the model makers Armoury. On the introduction of Romford wheels, I don't suppose anyone ever complained that a loco entered into competition should be marked down because it was fitted with the latest thing in drivers.

Let's say someone entered with a Cameo, custom built into a sideboard  (do people still have them?) or a nest of bookshelves; would you deduct brownie points because the item of furniture was probably built by someone other than the cameos owner?

I do suppose it is a fair question to ask though, given the openness* of the published entry requirements.

*sounds far better than ambiguity.

• RMweb Gold

Chris Nevard built Catcott Burtle using foam board for the baseboard.

And we all know what a pile of rubbish that layout is.

No, IMHO the baseboard construction doesn't matter in the least.

Great idea

The whimsey has been discussed up here in the deepest recesses of the North East. We suspect the main problem will be finding a decent Chippendale desk at an advantageous price.

Righto, just knocked up my Cameo cabinet this morning. That MDF sure makes a lot of dust.

post-6861-0-19459100-1493901851.jpg

Not trying to win, just trying my best.

Now what to run in it? Hmmm,

• Funny 1