A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

ECC Wheal Imogen / Rosevean Station: the expansion

• RMweb Premium

Tonight I finally got round to doing some more work on Wheal Imogen.

The first task was to sort out the backscene as i wasn't happy with the pinkish colour. The replacement used a mixture of white emulsion and blue children's paint roughly mixed. As I was repainting I aimed for a mixture of colour with hints of the original, white and blue. Again the photo doesn't really do it justice (I really need to improve the lighting in that room). I will try and retake the photo tomorrow in daylight...

The next job was the pouring the river on both Brent and Wheal Imogen, unfortunately it hasn't gone fully to plan. While on Brent I was little short on volume to properly fill the river, on Wheal Imogen it was more the opposite problem. The plan was always to only pour a very thin (circa 1mm) layer of the water. I had expected the water to be quite a dark tint, and to be fair on Brent it is, however as a thin coat it is not that dense a pigment. As a result you can see the poorly painted base coat (especially the area by the backscene). Even worse somehow it has ended up on the wall, its not visible to the eye but shows up shiny on photos.

I have a plan though, adding reeds along either side and some algae, just need to find some suitable photos to work from (and more importantly for the algae I need to work out how to model it.

41582692090_088199cdfe_k.jpgBackscene repainted and the river has been poured by The Fatadder, on Flickr

I don't know if it would work, but a little brown paint, mixed with gloss varnish, may help to increase the pigment level without adding too much to the depth. A touch of matt paint might hide the glossy bits, not required.

Edit for clumsy fingers.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have found inspiration for how I will fix the river, this was taken of a similar sized stream today at Berkeley Castle, all be it with much lower water levels.

Not sure how best to model those long leafed plants, so would welcome inspiration.

post-54-0-55413400-1531654555_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-01435900-1531654574_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-32617000-1531654598_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

No photos yet but last night I made a start on fixing the river, using a couple of oil paints (burnt sienna and burnt umber) mixed together roughly I over painted the whole river with a thin coat.  This will now get a coat of Klear to add back the gloss finish, onto which will be sprinkled some bright green scatter to add the algae.  I also plan to use PVA to add some ripples etc into the surface.   Once thats done I need to add some reeds (for which I am planning to destroy an old paint brush), before finally making a start on the overgrown bushes between the branch line and the river. 

• RMweb Gold

Great news on the wagon front, Kernow Models have just announced a 4mm scale model of the PRA china clay wagons, which are expected to arrive before the end of the year 

See Here fore more details

Given all my interest in Ponts Mill over the years, I cant resist buying a rake of four (which will take the place of the 4 I started scratch building back at the SWAG members day.  I just need to sell some redundant stock to pay for them....

The plan for use is two fold, either running to a Ponts Mill style works further down the branch (which has no runaround facility meaning running as per the prototype with a break van), or running into Wheal Imogen for loading. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I am glad that they didnt, the cost of commissioning the etches will pay for one wagon at least, and not needing to commission transfers will pay a big chunk off another.  Then there is 4 sets of Wirons and springs.

Then finally there is the canopy, which Kernow have done a lot better than I would have managed from plastic.   Wish they would do an accurate CDA to follow it up......

• RMweb Premium

I am glad that they didnt, the cost of commissioning the etches will pay for one wagon at least, and not needing to commission transfers will pay a big chunk off another.  Then there is 4 sets of Wirons and springs.

Then finally there is the canopy, which Kernow have done a lot better than I would have managed from plastic.   Wish they would do an accurate CDA to follow it up......

The money you are saving on the PRAs will let you commission etches, etc. for the CDAs. That is the best way to ensure that an RTR version appears.

• RMweb Gold

I have now made a start on the corrections to the river, after repainting the water surface I covered the whole river with a thick layer of Klear. Once done a layer of green scatter was added to represent the algae. The next job (once it is fully dry) is to add the grass, then start adding the bushes and plants along the river bank. Before which I could do with finishing off the bridge. So that will be my next job....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

While I haven’t managed much more work on the layout, but I have finally managed to get the facia painted black

I need to try and get some vinyl to run through my cutter, as the intention is to stick on an ECC logo and Wheal Imogen

(Reposting the photo after the forum posted it sideways)

post-54-0-99887500-1534493796_thumb.jpeg

Currently storeing a couple of toplights for Brent that are due to be next onto my workbench on the branch, almost looks like a preserved line running past the works (along the lines of Melton Quarry)

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One photo I should have added yesterday is the below, this is how much static grass can be recovered after gluing.post-54-0-53849500-1534608679_thumb.jpeg

I use a sock over the end of the dyson in order to hover up all the divers l, then drop into this tray before reloading the flockit. At the end of the session there is normally some left in the hopper, a mix of other scatters, ballast etc that wont pass through the grid. This goes in another pot for reuse.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned previously I had laser eye surgery a week last Saturday, and as a result still can’t do any real modelling while my eyes heal.

In the mean time I have been getting the workshop tidied up, not that you could tell looking at the below photo.

Part of the problem is a need to find a new home for all the DVDs that have lost their shelf to provide stock storage, meaning the existing shelves can’t be removed.

As I go I am trying to sort out the boxes containing part finished projects in order to identify items for finishing. Along with ensuring a clear bench so that work can quickly start once I can use solvents and solder (the latter certainly won’t be until my final all clear on the 19th September

The aim is to have a screen, controller, bench, and parts boxes all to hand.

Once I finish, I have a few jobs to do to get a DRS 66, a Southern 171 and a Wessex 158 ready for sale, along with some intermodal flats and FGW sleepers.

I have a growing shopping list for Scaleforum so need to ensure funds are available!

post-54-0-29769600-1535052635_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The first phase of my sorting is now finished, with scrap boxes consolidated into similar components, the bench tidy, and some projects identified.

In the first wave of projects to return to the bench:

DRS 37/6 I have updated this with the new standard ends which makes it out of period. I am debating whether I sell, put in store for a future project (I have a plan for a cameo based upon Sharpness with nuclear traffic and Enterprise services to the docks) or backdate to the original DRS 37s pre conversion in 1998 condition. I have found a suitable candidate so this may be an option. First I need to find a lost door, (what a stupid idea opening doors was!)

Next a VGA that is in bits while I debate if I will remove its innards and model with the doors open on one side. If I can pull it off it will look very good on the layout...

Along side it is another van, this time a Hornby Ferry van that needs a new door, improved chassis and a repaint. It will be a nice change from the VxA and Cargowaggons in my mid 80s running

A pair of bogies for a Ex LNWR coach for Brent that have been awaiting fitting for an age, but now I have found some bolts make for a quick win.

My Jon Hall Cargowaggon twin which needs the final details fitting and painting (the latter will have to wait)

The TDA which needs its handrails adding before I add transfers (it has now had the bogies bolted on after finding the required bits, but they still need paint)

Finally 50002 for which I have managed to find the box containing the glazing and interiors, so the loco can now be finished

I also have transfers from Railtec (very fast service given I ordered yesterday) for my clay TTAs, Cargowaggon twin and TDA

Edit: one more job, I need to add a third rail to the test track for OO stock. My plan is to cut in half a bunch of spare sleepers and glue in place. I’d do it first but it means going to the garage for the OO track gagged..

post-54-0-98601700-1535225660_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have been making some progress finishing off some Class 50s (and repairing one which has suffered from mazac rot.)  50002 will need to have the cantrail stripe repainting as I am really not happy with the result so far. 

I am quite pleased with the look of the loco on the layout (taken at about the same angle as it will be seen once the layout is finished)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/50/entry-21233-class-50s-supurb-and-elgar/

29337776227_de39138063_z.jpgUntitled by The Fatadder, on Flickr

I also made a start on the ferry van, and fitted a coupling to the Cargowaggon twin.   But more on these tonight once the girls have gone to bed!

I cant wait for my eyes to be fully healed so that I can start painting again, Along with finishing off the GWR Centenaries, I have a pair of TTA to painted in Grey, an ECC blue TTA and the Cargowaggon which needs to be sprayed blue.  If its dry tomorrow I will be doing a quick coat of white primer on the latter two (given that outside spraying will be much lower risk than painting in the garage...)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A bit more wagon building, one for the 1980s period and one for the 1990s:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/50/entry-21238-some-wagon-building-sea-urchins-and-ferry-van/

43578304694_62455dd8f6_k.jpgUntitled by The Fatadder, on Flickr

More on the bridge later once the girls go to their grandparents and I can get in the workshop for an hour, So far the rest of the plastic is glued in place and it is ready to start applying filler to tidy the joints.   I want to start painting tonight / tomorrow and aim to have it installed on the layout by the end of the week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A little progress on the bridge,post-54-0-61946900-1535377627_thumb.jpegpost-54-0-41416100-1535377646_thumb.jpeg

It needs a beam adding below the guider, for which I need to find some plasticard. The upper walls could do with beefing up, although with the facia up it will be hard to see so I may not bother.

The arch bridge still needs lots of detail adding, hopefully tonight, before I start on filler application

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I thought I’d replied to this already

My understanding was that by the late 80s improved environmental regulations had put an end to the white rivers in cornwall. Certainly photos of Ponts Mill seem to back this up. Otherwise it would have been a perfect soloution.

I have been working on the VIX van, the new door and runner have been added, if still needs some filler adding and it will be ready for paint.

post-54-0-63161300-1535488409_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder

Liking 50002 alot!

Also had a few on my 50s suffer from the dreaded rot on the keeper plate. Had to replace with plastikard.

I'm interested to see how you get on with the ferry van as it's something I've been tempted to have a go at one day.

Cheers

Will

• RMweb Gold

I’m quite pleased with the result on the van, which Now just needs a tiny bit of filler over the 4 holes from the old body fixings (now filled with plasticard plugs), then it will be ready for paint later in the month. The grey can be done at the same time as the sea urchin, so I just need to sort the rail red first.

I will also need to source springs and axleboxes, as it seems I have nothing suitable

I’m almost tempted to do another...

50002 is an odd one, 10 years ago it would annoy me, it’s missing lifting eyes still the cantrail line is not straight and there is poor masking around the black cab windows. I’d probably be looking to buy a replacement body...

However now I am still rather pleased with it, there is certainly something to be said for doing everything yourself and getting something unique

That said, I must do something about that cantrail line!

The only other issue is that I should have done a different livery, I have now realised that all 6 of my remaining class 50s have the orange cantrail stripe. So I have 6 locos for my late running and none for my mid 80s fleet (that is the smallest of my 3 periods)

Edited by The Fatadder