Bachman Mauritania sound failure!

Shedmaster 47

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, hucknall byron said:

Thanks for your interest Phil. Yes mine is the original with brass bushes i didnt know that Bachmann had since gone back to wipers. I have had a reply from them but only with the usual suggestions, clean the track, clean the wheels etc. I am not confident enough to go down the route that you suggest with the model but i am currently having some work done on another model by Richard at Roads and Rails so that might be the way to go? 

Yes Richard is usually very helpful. I know what you mean about confidence but we have all been through that.... will help you a lot if you can gain the experience!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

If you do go down the replacement route in addition to the round 50333 which fits as described a double Iphone speaker will just sit on top of the chassis block. Which is better? Not much in it if you seal the 50333 in with blue tack. Here’s a comparison video .... D200 has 50333, D233 has double IPhone. Maybe the double iphone has a bit more tonal range... both locos have Howes files on ESU Loksound chips, volume set CV63 to 192... maximum! I can happily live with either 

That is an interesting comparison Phil. To my ears I agree that the double iPhone sounds very slightly better. Whilst double iPhone speakers have become my go-to choice, I have not used one in any of my 40s. Think I may have to give it a go. What size have you used? I mainly use the Road and Rails 35x20x7 but have just bought a 50x18x7 to try in a loco (Heljan 58).

Currently my 40s have 27mm round Bass Enhanced speakers: https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/collections/speakers/products/27mm-round-bass-enhanced-speaker-4-ohm. They sound ok but I would love to improve them.

Best regards,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Roy. Sound is so subjective isn’t it? Tried to create constant conditions for the comparison. Reckon that’s a 50 x 18 x 7 in D233.... they re very neat! 

3A8A680E-F83C-4DF4-909F-88FA25BB3501.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock

Further developments Phil. D211 is now running silky smooth i can only think that the wire sand pipes touching the wheels were the problem. The sound came back on and lasted for about 2 circuits then broke up and stopped, this also affected the running? I was going to bite the bullet, take the top off and investigate the speaker as you suggested but before i did i just gave the body a little squeeze and the sound returned, release the squeeze and it goes again. Would this be the contacts being suspect as you suggested do you think?

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, hucknall byron said:

Further developments Phil. D211 is now running silky smooth i can only think that the wire sand pipes touching the wheels were the problem. The sound came back on and lasted for about 2 circuits then broke up and stopped, this also affected the running? I was going to bite the bullet, take the top off and investigate the speaker as you suggested but before i did i just gave the body a little squeeze and the sound returned, release the squeeze and it goes again. Would this be the contacts being suspect as you suggested do you think?

Certainly sounds a good bet. Check chip is seated correctly while you are in there. If you can solder it really is worth doing away with the rubbing contacts and hard wiring the speaker. Use flying leads that are long enough to allow body removal without disconnection if you go down this route.....

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/11/2020 at 10:16, Roy Langridge said:

That is an interesting comparison Phil. To my ears I agree that the double iPhone sounds very slightly better. Whilst double iPhone speakers have become my go-to choice, I have not used one in any of my 40s. Think I may have to give it a go. What size have you used? I mainly use the Road and Rails 35x20x7 but have just bought a 50x18x7 to try in a loco (Heljan 58).

Currently my 40s have 27mm round Bass Enhanced speakers: https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/collections/speakers/products/27mm-round-bass-enhanced-speaker-4-ohm. They sound ok but I would love to improve them.

Best regards,

Roy

A 26mm ESU Speaker + Sugarcube would give you more whistling (Wired in Parallel ) you just need to seal the 26mm them bobs your uncle.

Charlie-Legomanbiffo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I've found that 2 of these sound better than 1, you can use 2 in series

Richard

That's a good marketing ploy Richard - doubles your sales ;)

Seriously, I will give that a go at the weekend.

Thanks,

Roy